It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rule the stars your way.

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span>, a near-infinite space 4X-RTS hybrid, is available now for Windows and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> is the sequel to 2010 supremely ambitious space 4X-RTS hybrid. It was a game that featured nearly limitless galaxies with thousands of systems, bound only by the capabilities of the PC you played it on. The massive 4X returns now better than ever. It seeks to revolutionise the genre with its fresh take on tired gameplay elements, that includes Diplomacy which ties into all of the game's mechanics, affecting the state of the universe in meaningful ways. A complex galactic economy, custom ship designs, intricate research mechanics, and full modability grant <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> the potential to become the next timeless space 4X! You can find more interesting tidbits on the unique design choices in the game in the official developer diaries.

Rule the stars through force, politics, or just buy it all out. A limitless galaxy of choice in <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> - available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
http://static.gog.com/upload/images/2015/04/d0206ac24ce6443d747a37f3302e3a4301c54004.jpg

What the actual f***?
Just a tiny fleet :)
Post edited April 01, 2015 by Matruchus
That's normally when you start hovering your finger over the ESC key... just in case your computer decides to have a panic attack.

Game looks fun. Watched some previews of it last year. Gonna wishlist it.
Interesting. Looks nice, but I'm a bit wary of 4X in real-time. It's good to know though that the time flow can be decreased significantly as well as paused.

How much actual real control does the player have once opposing fleets start duking it out? It seems like it'd be a little difficult to do much direct targeting during bigger engagements. Can you actually target specific ship systems or is it just a "whoever blows up first" loses kind of deal?
Post edited April 01, 2015 by mistermumbles
high rated
mistermumbles: How much actual real control does the player have once opposing fleets start duking it out? It seems like it'd be a little difficult to do much direct targeting during bigger engagements. Can you actually target specific ship systems or is it just a "whoever blows up first" loses kind of deal?
Most of the decisions for what ships should do during combat is decided in the ship editor, where you can assign them particular behaviors such as 'block incoming fire' and 'target the enemy flagship while staying in the back of the fleet'. Actual combat is managed simply by giving an Attack order on an opposing fleet to fleets under your control.

That said, weapons fire is fully simulated and individual hexes are damaged according to the direction of incoming fire. Subsystems gets disabled if their core component gets destroyed, supplies leak out if the supply sections are hit, and the ship becomes disabled/destroyed when all bridge components are lost.

Without a flagship to command the support ships the support ships will fire on anything in their sights but will lose the ability to act on their own. They'll attempt to migrate to another nearby friendly fleet/orbital/planet if there's space for them but, elsewise, they'll drift in space and, after three minutes, be destroyed.

So overall most of combat is strategic, with some tactical play coming into focus re: engine placement (shooting out engines makes the ship unable to turn or move) and layout, weapon fire arcs, the direction ships are turned, potential abilities equipped to the flagships being fired (ships do not normally come with any abilities), your supply-drain versus storage (low supplies lower the damage output of your ships) and what settings you have given the fleet on the galaxy screen and the ships in the design editor. All-in-all, semi-hands off, but micro-able if you think you can get a good angle.

It's got depth - but you won't be clicking around like it's Starcraft.
Post edited April 01, 2015 by Firgof
Firgof: Requirements:
Feel free to join us in the in-game IRC as well
So... Does this require Vista or later, meaning the game page here (which lists XP) is incorrect? Or does it actually run on XP?

Can I join with any IRC client?
The game does function on some XP builds, but we're not able to determine which - a recent update broke compatibility in a location that doesn't provide us much information - and we no longer have access to any debugging tools for WinXP (and Virtual Machine emulation unfortunately isn't an option there either).

Thus, we raised our system requirements a few weeks ago to Vista and later for now as we can no longer guarantee XP support. We'll be e-mailing GOG today to get them to update that on the store page accordingly.

You can join our IRC with any client, yes.

Server: irc.glacicle.org
Chatroom: #starruler
Post edited April 01, 2015 by Firgof
Silverhawk170485: No Mac Version but a Linux Version? Very strange ...
MrBoat: Not so strange. I believe many developers may prefer to offer support for Windows and (let's say) Ubuntu than for Mac. Mac has a lower market share unless you sell yourself into the Apple App Store, which means you need to pay attention to Apple fuck up new versions and such. Also, Mac users are not known to be gamers at all, a gaming Mac would cost you 100% more than a PC, something that obviously makes the gamer community to stay in Windows.

If I were developing a game in a future I would clearly let Mac out of the compatibility mix. Linux gives more money and, on a "distro-only" kind of support is easier to maintain, since gnu/linux users are usually more open to find a fix for themselves on their systems.
That's my opinion, at least.
Nice opinion... Reality is likely to be different. Mac gaming is a much larger share of the gaming industry than Linux gaming. Just looking at the Steam statistics (which is under-represented for the Mac due to a preference for other venues), you can see that Mac has well over 3 times the share of Linux currently. A lot of individual companies that do same-day releases of Mac games with their Windows games say the Mac is more like a 15%-20% share of their total revenue.

So yes, seeing a Linux version and not a Mac version *is* an odd combination. I see very few games released this way. In fact, going through GOG, there are only 7 games out of roughly 250 Linux games which are Windows and Linux only -- ALL the rest support Mac as well.
Firgof: The game does function on some XP builds, but we're not able to determine which - a recent update broke compatibility in a location that doesn't provide us much information - and we no longer have access to any debugging tools for WinXP (and Virtual Machine emulation unfortunately isn't an option there either).

Thus, we raised our system requirements a few weeks ago to Vista and later for now as we can no longer guarantee XP support. We'll be e-mailing GOG today to get them to update that on the store page accordingly.

You can join our IRC with any client, yes.

Server: irc.glacicle.org
Chatroom: #starruler
Already fixed the XP issue :)
JudasIscariot: Already fixed the XP issue :)
Awesome. Thanks!
You've got to be shitting me with this.
Just an FYI, those saying that this game is "like Homeworld" are way off base.

Yeah, the fleets kinda look like Homeworld when you zoom WAY in on them and the game is in real time and is set in space.

But that is where the similarities end.

This is a 4X strategy game that happens to be real time as opposed to turn based. The game can be paused at any time and you can issue orders that will be carried out once you un-pause the game. The game speed can be adjusted up or down freely to the player's taste. For those who have played Paradox titles like EU4 or Crusader Kings, the time function works pretty much the same way.

Otherwise, this is a space 4X game. You colonize planets, get resources, research technologies, engage in diplomacy etc. Your goal is to wipe out the opposition and rule the galaxy (or universe if you set your game to contain multiple galaxies).

This is a great game (I got it on Steam) and it does some really innovative things in the 4X genre. If you're a 4X fan you should buy this game; it's worth every penny.

I write/edit/etc. for a 4X site called Explorminate. Here is our review of the game: [url=]http://www.explorminate.com/#!Star-Ruler-2/c15kj/551447ff0cf215f35a1c3507[/url]. Our site contains no ads and the staff are all volunteers who love 4X games. Come see what Star Ruler 2 is all about.
Post edited April 01, 2015 by marlowe221
JudasIscariot: Already fixed the XP issue :)
Firgof: Awesome. Thanks!
So I have a question about the game as I have yet to play it myself :)

How many ways can you reach the end goal of a given campaign? Can I use subterfuge and/or diplomacy or do I have to use brute force to win? Is there a race that is better suited for sabotage/spying/stealing technology? Can you steal race-specific tech and use it for yourself like in Distant Worlds?

Don't get me wrong, I am planning to give the game a good shake at home but I figured I'd ask beforehand :D
yogsloth: You've got to be shitting me with this.
No bullshots were used in the making of all video footage for SR2. That's the power of the StarFlare engine; we built it to be capable of dealing with that sort of stuff in stride. That, and the engine fully utilizes all your cores so you can get some real performance out of it.
This looks like what MoO3 so desperately wanted to be. Going to take a close close look at this one... just wish there was a launch discount.