It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Counting stars.

Star Control: Origins is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
This is a sci-fi action/adventure with RPG elements and a new start for the beloved series. While investigating a far away distress signal upon Earth's first interstellar starship, you stumble upon this procedurally created galaxy, full of unknown alien races. A plot is being hatched, threatening to throw the entire galaxy into disarray, but your battle-readiness and thirst for thorough exploration might just avert it.

Make sure to pick up the Soundtrack for your collection.
Quite tempted, but it'll sit on the wishlist for a while to see if there is a 'complete' version sometime down the line.
high rated
After declining Stardock’s recent settlement,we offered our own settlement agreement last week
* Both sides agree to contribute SCI, SCII and SC3 to the Ur-Quan Masters open source project for non-commercial use and to stop selling the games through any channels.
* Fred and Paul won’t challenge Stardock’s trademark registrations for “Star Control” and Stardock will withdraw their recent trademark applications for the “Ur-Quan Masters”, “Super Melee” and other various alien races from the classic games.
…and it was rejected.
EndQuote

Question: could it possibly be that Stardock rushed the release in attempt to get cash in order to sue Fred and Paul?!

Or shorter version: the money you pay for this game will contribute to cease-and-disist towards UrQuan Masters ?!
Post edited September 21, 2018 by Lin545
reative00: This sounds like a completely shit behavior from original creators, but nevertheless, NDA is a "fuck you, customer" type of behavior. No idea why it was there since there was no open beta here, so I'm still going to be caucious.
The NDA still being shown was confirmed to be an error. I don't see it anymore so if you're still seeing it you're probably viewing a cached version of the page (or seeing it in a place GoG forgot to remove it - should probably let them know in that case).
Post edited September 21, 2018 by tremere110
high rated
Ever since Stardock robbed the original franchise and forced GOG and other e-retailers to stop selling the older Star Control games i really don't like them anymore.
Post edited September 21, 2018 by klappis
I thought the issues were still settled but the greatest storytellers in video gaming of all time against Stardock? My principles > my interest in the product, no questions asked. I'm at fault here for even clicking on the store page.

If Paul Reiche III and Fred Ford doesn't give the absolution that this game is worth playing I won't even touch this game even if you give me four times the amount of money that this game costed to produce, no way I'm gonna do that.

I'm sorry but I won't buy this as long as nothing is settled, I won't pick this up even if you force me to. Startdocks done great stuff and I also do agree with GalacticKnight, but I'm gonna stick to my principles even if that means I'm the melodramatic fool in the end. And should Stardock go after the Sourceport then thats really a terrible move from them. I doubt that even hardcore fanbase will keep liking them, considering the project exists for around two decades now and is beloved by anyone by people that even only heard about it, simply because SCII is a game that everybody remembers fondly.
This whole situation stinks. I've followed the story off and on. Stardock seems to be on the up and up in this -- they have a long history too and this isn't their M.O. The original devs behavior has just been... weird... at best. I hope they work it out like adults but I'm not seeing that happening.
high rated
Having had old bitter issues with Stardock products, I will not buy anything from them ever. That's no question.

Moreover, I'm slightly aware of legal and copyright things between Stardock and original creators of previous games in serie.

But in the end, I read reviews and I can see with my own eyes. Let's even leave aside the cartoonish style, dumb humour, lack of RPG part and so on. But sweet God in Heaven, they still use their old ship models from GalCiv1 (?) - well, from GalCiv2 at the least. This fact alone buries down and ruins for me all these Wardell's loud words about "the main project in all Stardock history".

Stardock are just serpentine money-grabbers and dream-f***ers. And very lazy ones too.
Post edited September 21, 2018 by Vissavald
Hmm, i loved the old Starcontrol and i loved most old Star Dock games but around 2010 they started to become crazy and behave in a way even EA would think twice about.

Fallen Entchantress...bugfixing stopped, offer a new version with fewer Bugs and reworked, once broken, features+some additional content, still with some important Bugs...stop working at the game and make Sorcerer King that uses the stuff tested with Fallen Entchantress...stop bugfixing&repairing broken features...offer a new version of it with some Bugs fixed&features repaired...Galactic CivIII...a DLC Nightmare..you need several DLC to get a game similar to the first one...

If the game is good...i might wait a year or two until the price drops+nice Sale
high rated
GalacticKnight: Stardock makes the game up through to a beta version, and then the original developers announce their own game without the "Star Control" name in the title to avoid legal trouble with Stardock. Stardock offers something akin to moral support to the original devs and basically say that it's a great time for Star Control fans to get two games instead of one.

The media gets a hold of news that the original devs are making a new game and start promoting it as the next proper Star Control. Stardock is understandably a little annoyed with this and gets legal about it to protect their interests. The original devs fire back with claims that Star Control was theirs all along out of the blue, despite letting things progress to this point and going along with the idea that they don't own it as they've avoided using it in their own title up until this point.
That is one version. The other version is that the lawsuit started because Stardock sold Star Control 1 & 2 at Steam without authorization from Reiche and Ford.

The original developers hold the copyright for SC 1 & 2 based on their agreement with Accolade where the developers are granted copyright ownership in any games they develop.

SC 3 belongs to Accolade while the characters are under license from the Reiche and Ford. Stardock bought Star Control 3.

On October 19. 2017, Stardock began selling original SC 1-3 through Steam without Reiche and Ford authorization which started the copyright dispute between Stardock and the original developers.

Stardock claimed that they have the distribution right of SC 1-3 that they bought from Atari. Reiche and Ford claimed that the agreement had expired.
Post edited September 21, 2018 by VRaverna
high rated
Lin545: From:
After declining Stardock’s recent settlement,we offered our own settlement agreement last week
* Both sides agree to contribute SCI, SCII and SC3 to the Ur-Quan Masters open source project for non-commercial use and to stop selling the games through any channels.
* Fred and Paul won’t challenge Stardock’s trademark registrations for “Star Control” and Stardock will withdraw their recent trademark applications for the “Ur-Quan Masters”, “Super Melee” and other various alien races from the classic games.
…and it was rejected.
EndQuote

Question: could it possibly be that Stardock rushed the release in attempt to get cash in order to sue Fred and Paul?!

Or shorter version: the money you pay for this game will contribute to cease-and-disist towards UrQuan Masters ?!
Game looks fun to play, but given that it is Stardock (gamers bill of rights and moving to steam, aggressive dlc marketing) and now this whole lawsuit, I'm passing on this game.
high rated
Tell you what, Stardock - Stop acting like you hate GOG customers and start participating in GOG sales on a regular basis, and then I'll consider buying your products again.

GalCiv3 went almost a full year without being in a sale on GOG, from June 20, 2017 to June 04, 2018. Then it got a paltry 25% discount for two weeks. Some of the DLC has never been sale-priced on GOG. All this despite continuous huge discounts offered on Steam.

https://www.gogdb.org/product/1444400383

And drop the money-grubbing mini-DLC model and focus on substantial expansions in the future, would you? Mercenaries, Crusade, Intrigue - if only these had been released for GalCiv3, I'd have paid full price for each and probably be a happy customer waiting for the next big expansion. But after a flood of low-effort crap? Damn straight you'd best be offering some decent sale prices if you want to get me interested in the game again.
Post edited September 21, 2018 by SeduceMePlz
[edited]... plenty of people already pointed out that NDA was for pre-beta releases. Some other people couldn't read the NDA properly. And i wrote my post here complaining about those people without reading the posts that pointed out that fact about the NDA. Yeah, tar and feather me... ;-)
Post edited September 21, 2018 by elgonzo
Was it released? Or still beta?
I've just run game and see "version beta"... and got sad :(
Looks like an iPad game. Pass or deep sale for me.
what is the gameplay on this one? i see people hovering on planets but can your scooter topple over at all?