It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I guess I'll always be.

Soldier of Fortune, Soldier of Fortune II and Soldier of Fortune: Payback are now available DRM-free, only on GOG.com. Get all three games together for a 15% series discount.

The acclaimed FPS series returns!
In the first two entries, you'll take the role of John Mullins, a mercenary who possesses a very particular set of skills, skills that make him a nightmare to bad guys around the world. Take out terrorists and stop their nefarious plans in the games that helped pioneer body region damage when hurting enemy sprites.
The third game in the series puts you in the shoes of Thomas Mason, a freelance mercenary going up against an enemy that can only be tackled by those not afraid to get their hands dirty.
I'll never forget this one custom map this one server in the original SOF. It was this big satanic church with pentagrams everywhere and secret passages and trap doors with hidden weapons. Hilarious stuff.
I despised the OP grenades in 2. It was like the game was deliberately trolling you with them. They'd lob a grenade from anywhere and have it land at your feet. Throw one at them and they'd either immediately throw it back or avoid it like pros. Even if you cooked the grenade the game would let them finish their throw animation so it wouldn't blow in their hands.

First game the best and definitely a series that got worse with each successive release.
I modded the game to make movement faster and changed the grenade sounds to be more noticeable and it’s far less annoying when I did that. As soon as I hear the clinking of the grenades, I run away and can usually get out of the way unless I backed myself into a corner.
GreasyDogMeat: I despised the OP grenades in 2. It was like the game was deliberately trolling you with them. They'd lob a grenade from anywhere and have it land at your feet. Throw one at them and they'd either immediately throw it back or avoid it like pros. Even if you cooked the grenade the game would let them finish their throw animation so it wouldn't blow in their hands.

First game the best and definitely a series that got worse with each successive release.
I disagree. The damage ,weapons and some other things like random level generator make the sequel better.
I'm not sure if it had some kind of adaptable difficulty in it.
Post edited March 29, 2019 by Spectre
Spectre: I disagree. The damage ,weapons and some other things like random level generator make the sequel better.
I'm not sure if it had some kind of adaptable difficulty in it.
The gore may have been a bit better, but the gameplay and feel was so much better in the original IMHO. The sequel seemed to be trying to be more realistic at the detriment of fun. The Columbian levels in the grass were a nightmare as enemies would shoot you through it even though you couldn't see them. Also, as I said the grenades were straight up broken. Throw a grenade or C4 in the original and something was going to die.

Anyway... I hope we can at least agree both games were better than the third entry?