It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind is now available DRM-free.
Life between myths. Lead your clan into legend or obscurity. Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind is a storybook strategy game, immersing you in a land of old gods and magic.

Hundreds of small encounters build into an epic, multi-generational tale of survival and inter-clan alliances. Six Ages is the spiritual successor to acclaimed King of Dragon Pass, taking place thousands of years earlier in the same shared world of Glorantha. Part role-playing, part resource management, you'll always be making decisions with long-term consequences, for you and your clan.
russellskanne: ...
plenty of other recent indie-games supporting those windows versions.
Indeed. Even if comparisons are to be avoided, consider Spiderweb Software. Which is Jeff Vogel working alone but for his wife helping out handling freelance artists and that is all. Then somehow he manages to produce a new game (Queen's Wish) that (I am quoting now:)

Works on:
Windows (7, 8, 10), Mac OS X (10.11+)

Plus iOS.

DIfferent technology and the two games do different things, but, yes, there it is. Probably in one or two years it would hurt less, but right now it feels sour. Check new titles coming to GOG. All those indies. Win 7 for the win.

Anyway, managing to make the remaster of KODP and this new game is almost a miracle, and if the developer found it was a necessary tradeoff if the new title was to happen, then better making it happen that not having it at all.

Again, congratulations for the new game. May others enjoy it, at least.
Post edited October 19, 2019 by Carradice
high rated
ddunham: Unfortunately, we didn’t have any way to get the game to run on anything earlier than Windows 10. (The exact reason is long and complicated and technical.)

We did not decide to make it Windows 10-only, it is a technical limitation that we wish didn’t exist.

Sorry!
Please go on and get technical with us, I am sure that I am not the only one who would like to know how a game can somehow be accidentally coded to only run with Windows 10 while the minimum hardware requirements can still be met with a Pentium 4 computer?
high rated
ddunham: Unfortunately, we didn’t have any way to get the game to run on anything earlier than Windows 10. (The exact reason is long and complicated and technical.)

We did not decide to make it Windows 10-only, it is a technical limitation that we wish didn’t exist.

Sorry!
JAAHAS: Please go on and get technical with us, I am sure that I am not the only one who would like to know how a game can somehow be accidentally coded to only run with Windows 10 while the minimum hardware requirements can still be met with a Pentium 4 computer?
It looks like they used WinObjC to do the port from objective C, and it therefore depends on WOCStdLib.dll. Why they would do that when the files otherwise suggest they built it in unity I can't even... It gives me a way forward, at least, since I'm trying to run in WINE emulating Windows 10, so if I can track down WOCStdLib.dll and some dependencies it should work. Dropping the right dlls into Windows 7 miiiiight work, might not.

TBH the game's probably light enough that the best solution is spinning up a win10 vm with a resigned sigh.

Edit: hang on, the dlls are all here in the plugins directory, just not being found.at startup. Interesting. Still seems to be the root of the compatibility issue.
Post edited November 10, 2019 by sinister_dexter
sinister_dexter: It looks like they used WinObjC to do the port from objective C, and it therefore depends on WOCStdLib.dll. Why they would do that when the files otherwise suggest they built it in unity I can't even... It gives me a way forward, at least, since I'm trying to run in WINE emulating Windows 10, so if I can track down WOCStdLib.dll and some dependencies it should work. Dropping the right dlls into Windows 7 miiiiight work, might not.

TBH the game's probably light enough that the best solution is spinning up a win10 vm with a resigned sigh.

Edit: hang on, the dlls are all here in the plugins directory, just not being found.at startup. Interesting. Still seems to be the root of the compatibility issue.
So just in case those libraries don't "speak" only Windows 10, does anyone who bought the game have a computer with Windows 7 and or 8.x so that they could test if the game it could be launched after those dlls are copied to the root of installation folder or whatever subfolder the main executable can be found?
And what's about Linux support?
eiii: And what's about Linux support?
They did an AMA a while back. Not sure if it was covered at all. I didn't feel like bothering with stupid reddit.
Did Six Ages got abandoned? Steam version is missing new scenarios.
Well f@ck...... Win10 only? Heh. Well, I hope the decision was worth it.
Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out announced for Summer 2023:

"Taking place after the events of the original Six Ages, its sequel will again challenge players in making difficult choices and fight in turn-based combat to ensure the survival of their clan. While completely stand-alone, players will also be allowed to bring in their save from Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind and carry over some of their choices."

Wishlist entry
Swedrami: Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out announced for Summer 2023:

"Taking place after the events of the original Six Ages, its sequel will again challenge players in making difficult choices and fight in turn-based combat to ensure the survival of their clan. While completely stand-alone, players will also be allowed to bring in their save from Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind and carry over some of their choices."

Wishlist entry
Not mentioned in the trailer but on Twitter they said it's coming to GOG:
https://twitter.com/SixAges/status/1642922047150907393
Swedrami: Six Ages 2: Lights Going Out announced for Summer 2023:

Wishlist entry
SCPM: Not mentioned in the trailer but on Twitter they said it's coming to GOG:
https://twitter.com/SixAges/status/1642922047150907393
Thanks for pointing it out.