It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Shortest Trip to Earth is now available DRM-free. Get it 15% off until August 22nd, 5pm UTC.

Shortest Trip to Earth is a roguelike spaceship simulator focused on exploration, ship management and tactical battles. Embark on a perilous journey across the universe with an armed crew, nuclear missiles and a cat.
low rated
just like ftl, it looks borin' as all heck
Hmmm. I loved FTL, when I first saw this I was hoping for something with the primary gameplay mechanics of FTL but with less permadeath and more "space RPG".
Turns out it's just more FTL.
Post edited August 16, 2019 by SirPrimalform
low rated
Shortest trip to the toilet for me!
Anyone fire this up yet?

I'm a HUGE FTL fan and this looks downright awesome... but parts of it seem like it could be a bit ah, cumbersome maybe? Like there are a lot of fiddly little bits going on. Don't get me wrong I love a deep game with a lot of nuance but some of those bars along the side look like you're juggling 20 different resources like it's an economy sim.

I'd love to hear some impressions on how intuitive and fun it is to play. I want to level up my guys, install new gear and get involved in tons of mini text adventures while blowing up ships. I don't want to micromanage 37 different dwindling resources if that makes sense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWw0JzZxW0

Game looks great. But it just got out of EA, so there may still be bugs.

I think I'm gonna wait a little and see more reviews and what peps has to say aboot zee gaym.
falloutttt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWw0JzZxW0

I think I'm gonna wait a little and see more reviews and what peps has to say aboot zee gaym.
I think this game does have "active pause" (I haven't directly seen that - but several message threads on Steam allude to it).

So I was coming back to buy it - then, instead, saw your link to the video.

In the first minute of the video I can see something that concerns me (enough to hold off purchase for now):

In the menu as displayed in the video, there are several sectors marked, "Coming soon".

This says the game isn't done yet - might be DLC's coming - might be "user-created content" (as possibly alluded to in the video intro), etc.

I prefer a "complete" game - so if it will have DLC's that means I would wait until the "gold" edition (or whatever it gets called).

Will hold off until I learn more about that...

[Edit}:

Even though that video's description shows, "Published on Aug 15, 2019" (published today) - the narrator talks about things to be added "in Early Access". Like, maybe the video age actually predates the release date - or something. Something is "off"...
Attachments:
Post edited August 16, 2019 by Martek
Has anyone tried the game yet? How similar is it to FTL?
falloutttt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWw0JzZxW0

Martek: I think this game does have "active pause" (I haven't directly seen that - but several message threads on Steam allude to it).

So I was coming back to buy it - then, instead, saw your link to the video.

In the first minute of the video I can see something that concerns me (enough to hold off purchase for now):

In the menu as displayed in the video, there are several sectors marked, "Coming soon".

This says the game isn't done yet - might be DLC's coming - might be "user-created content" (as possibly alluded to in the video intro), etc.

I prefer a "complete" game - so if it will have DLC's that means I would wait until the "gold" edition (or whatever it gets called).

Will hold off until I learn more about that...

[Edit}:

Even though that video's description shows, "Published on Aug 15, 2019" (published today) - the narrator talks about things to be added "in Early Access". Like, maybe the video age actually predates the release date - or something. Something is "off"...
To be honest with you, I only watched that video partially and din't see what you mentioned about future DLC part.

I'll try to find more gameplay videos before I buy the game, that's for sure.

But so far, based on what I've seen, I really like it. But I'm busy with No Man's Sky right now, so this game will have to wait a little. :D
Fairfox: just like ftl, it looks borin' as all heck
Uuuh, FTL may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is anything but "boring".

QUick question: have you tried it? FTL I mean?
high rated
Hiya yes I can confirm that ReformistTM is playing an older build. V1.0 includes all 10 sectors

Here is the complete changelog:

New features and content
New feature: Crafting DIY modules in your ship
New feature: Crafting partially filled resource packs directly from Excess resource
New feature: the easier game mode ("Challenging") allows you to survive even with 0 HP (subsequent damage reduces ship max HP instead of killing you outright)
New feature: Power management view (hotkey "V")
New feature: Fully Upgradable Slots. Internal slots can be now upgraded into > core > hybrid > weapon slots. Basically you can have as many weapons as you want, if you have the materials
New feature: enemy ships will activate a delayed selfdestruct if their last crew dies. If a player crewmember is crazy enough to try to board an enemy ship, they will automatically try to escape if the enemy ship starts self-destructing
New feature: the "hold/release button" for firing all weapons together
New secondary feature: point defences now also shoot other projectiles (cannon shots have 2-4 hitpoints each) and also use target priorities: 1) Missiles/nukes 2) intruders 3) other projectiles
New secondary feature: key rebinding is now available
New secondary feature: unique ship-based craftable nukes
New secondary feature: fleeing pirates sometimes now make counter-offers
Chance to find new permanent fate perks in levels 1-9, one per level
Tutorial updated to include upgrading slots, crafting DIY modules and other new features
Sectors 9 & 10 added, along with the game ending
New space sector descriptions in main menu
New content: SOS signal can now summon a large variety of new encounters
New content: findable events of ships casting SOS
New content: multiple game endings added for you to discover
New content: updated level descriptions
New content: added discovery texts to all discoverable perks.
Tutorial updated to teach several new features
50+ new events, including a few more planets and encounters to sector 8
50+ new achievements
10+ new enemy fleet types
10+ new enemy ships for you to discover
40+ new modules and nukes, including a variety of DIY nukes
30+ new perks
30+ new death texts
New music added to dialogues, main soundtracks and combat soundtracks

Rebalances and difficulty-related features
Crew moving to Medbay now ignores some things just like when following regular Move order
Gave extra point-defence to Tigerfish
Pet slimes now have functional skills
All pets except cats are focused and never stop working on their assignments
One gunnery skill point now gives 0.5 accuracy rounded up
Randomized stealth levels of all non-SOS ambushers
Dronebays and Medbay are now better
Auto-unassign: crew will be unassigned from labs and gardens during combat
Some artifacts can now be used as crude modules, boosting ship HP or ECM
Increased scrap value of most modules
Excess fuel conversion is now a lot cheaper
Now the game shows crew count under enemy ship
Intruder AI should now be slightly better, further improvements are being worked on
Some sector endings now occasionally give extra fate instead of unlocking perks/ships
Some enemy fleets now have lower stealth levels
Some modules & drones are now cheaper, also more crew and drones available for sale
Sector 2 & 4 boss fights are now a bit harder
Updated fate point cost for a number of perks
All ship weapons that use ammo are now much better (they also use much less resources now)
Increased salvage value of ships in sector 1, 2 and 10
Rany ray weapons are slightly less accurate now
Each ship has different starting resources now (first ship has the best, last ship has the worst starting resources)
Added more hitpoints to most crew types
All boss ships will now leave 1 extra module and a bit more resources as battle loot
Replaced crew in majority of enemy ships
Stat updates to majority of ships
Rebalanced all modules
Made sector 5 bossfight more dangerous
Lowered default crew damage
Made player starting crew better against intruders
Reduced amount of enemy intruders
Made all pirate drones slower
Made Solipsist ships evade better
Sensor skill bonus is now 10% per skill point
Made sure smugglers are not demanding too much
Updated resource pack prices
All sensors are now even better
Tigerfish has better starting drones now
Updated starting crew skills
Updated Rat Fortress modules
Updated artifacts, made larvae a bit slower

Visuals, Music, sound, UI & miscellanneous improvements, fixes
Hovering a module now shows a comparable info panel
Added rat music to rat fleet
Escape button will become animated if escape from battle is recommended by ship AI
Metal and synthetic elements in player panel are now red if not enough for repairs
All fleets have more detailed names now in starsystem view
Slots have type names on them now
Added music to dialogues of fleets and exit bossfights
Heads of sleeping/dead crew have the right hover outline now
Enemy ships can now disable player warp drive in a more intuitive way
Game welcome text updated
New help pages added for Crafting, Permanent damage, Slot upgrade & Weapontypes
Multiple crew selection help page added
Added "never deflects" line to missiles
Flipped buttons in results loot panel
Added better muzzle flashes to gatling guns
All ambushers, traders, smugglers etc. should now have custom music
Laser sounds slightly altered
RIP button animation added
SOS button hovertext updated
Updated star names
Added tournament name winners to crew name list
Updated perks and player ships
Modules scrap buttons have now safety confirmations
Asteroid defense icon changed
Results panel now opens internal view if new crew was received
Doors now have their own status visualizer
Shop repair button now plays animation when interactive
Updated exotics hover text in resource list on the left
Crew with module type assignment now returns to repair module after putting out nearby fire
Important slot upgrade cost balance fix, small re-balances
Cryosleep "de-freeze all" button has been fixed
Countless other small and big issues fixed
Post edited August 16, 2019 by Hiplox
FTL is a nice game, but IMO it's a bit ruined by its unfair difficulty already at normal.
If this game is a clone, I hope it will fix that at least..
Hiplox: Hiya yes I can confirm that ReformistTM is playing an older build. V1.0 includes all 10 sectors
Thanks for that information.

Kind of poor form for ReformistTM to misrepresent the game by publishing yesterday video of an older build.

But you've cleared up my issue and I thank you for that. :)

Now to think on it a bit - I am leaning towards buying it.

Cheers

[Edit]: Purchased :)
Post edited August 16, 2019 by Martek
Me, my cat and I. All three of us, decided to buy the game!

After watching some gameplay videos, reading about it, checking reviews, game seems perfectly perfect!

Thanks to the devs for bring it here and with achievements and everything! <3
Does anyone know which engine is used for Shortest Trip to Earth?
Ixamyakxim: Anyone fire this up yet?

I'm a HUGE FTL fan and this looks downright awesome... but parts of it seem like it could be a bit ah, cumbersome maybe? Like there are a lot of fiddly little bits going on. Don't get me wrong I love a deep game with a lot of nuance but some of those bars along the side look like you're juggling 20 different resources like it's an economy sim.

I'd love to hear some impressions on how intuitive and fun it is to play. I want to level up my guys, install new gear and get involved in tons of mini text adventures while blowing up ships. I don't want to micromanage 37 different dwindling resources if that makes sense.
Yeah, FTL is already in the "Easy to learn hard to master" territory and overcomplicating the game mechanism can break the fun. The original FTL was already hard enough as it is I hope this one doesn't try to one up FTL by making unnecessary features.