It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A life of sin awaits within

<span class="bold">Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales</span>, an action/adventure/RPG hybrid that lets you explore all aspects of a corsair's thrilling life, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.

Dogs are famously friendly, loyal, and perhaps a little bit gullible creatures. Sea Dogs, however, are nothing of the sort. They lead lives full of fighting, murder, plunder, and uneasy camaraderie, usually feverish with a self-destructive gold rush. Blaze and Beatrice Sharp are born into this life, having inherited their father's swashbuckling legacy. Time to see how they measure up.

Now that they've both come of age, it's time to make their own name, carve their own path through this open-world of exciting yet dangerous opportunities. There are 16 ships to choose from, different crew members to hire, weapons to equip on your ship or take along in your land adventures, skills to pick, quests to undertake, treasures to unearth. Feel free to seek your fortune and explore the secrets of the Caribbean islands, but never let your guard down. After all, how you handle yourself during the intense naval battles and your continuous struggles with the capricious sea weather will determine whether you name will become synonymous with glorious piracy or a brief footnote in the chronicles of this brutal age of buccaneers.

Dip you cutlass into a sea of perils, treasures, and the blood of your enemies as you live your own <span class="bold">Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
anothername:
Ixamyakxim: If I do decide to mod, is that a pretty safe site / download / install? I can trust the stuff from there to be viri free?

Oh and one other thing - the first time I "preload" the game and the cursor spins, a box pops up in my lower right update area that says something like "switching to Win 7 Basic Colors" - this never appears to happen.

The SECOND time I doubleclick the icon, this notice doesn't appear and the game loads up.

Later on, when I connect to the internet, that first "preloaded" start of the game loads up properly. Really odd! Anyone have any ideas?
At least according to my latest Kaspersky file & page are OK. But as always with mods: Use at your own risk. I did not really tried out the unmodded game since I know I would play it with the mod anyway.

... Now that I have the big evil ship others are quite eager to surrender. Had a few crashes; feels about more than 50% of surrender makes CTDs. But boarding the same ship works.

This color thing is not that unusual when playing older windows games. Here its a bit annoying becose of the 5 seconds or so flickering at start. If you alt-tab to the box you can change to setting to not pop up anymore.

edit
Install is pretty simple. Unpack into a folder; move everything into game folder. It has a .doc for "how to" & a few other details.
Post edited April 04, 2016 by anothername
Ixamyakxim: Later on, when I connect to the internet, that first "preloaded" start of the game loads up properly. Really odd! Anyone have any ideas?
No firewall that lists connections and attempts to see what, if anything, is trying to connect? May also be a case of for some reason trying to connect to localhost and being unable to since (maybe?) network settings are for being in a network, made when the cable's plugged in, and then no longer apply when it's unplugged. But does sound more like either the game or Windows is trying to connect somewhere, Windows for example for checking a signature or compatibility settings or something, though I'm thinking it should only do that once, so a firewall that allows monitoring should reveal that.
Also, did you check processes in Task Manager to see whether the game dies on that first try or just hangs there?
Cavalary: Also, did you check processes in Task Manager to see whether the game dies on that first try or just hangs there?
The first time it's doubleclicked and then "does nothing" until later a connection is established, there IS a task manager listing for Engine.exe - it's very small as far as its usage goes.

When I doubleclick a second time (BEFORE connecting to the internet) and the game runs, a second usage of Engine.exe spawns and has a lot larger usage (as expected as the program is now properly running).

VERY odd.

*edit to add* And obviously the first instance of Engine.exe remains, waiting for the first time I connect my computer to the internet to "fire up" the game LOL.
Post edited April 05, 2016 by Ixamyakxim
Cavalary: Also, did you check processes in Task Manager to see whether the game dies on that first try or just hangs there?
Ixamyakxim: The first time it's doubleclicked and then "does nothing" until later a connection is established, there IS a task manager listing for Engine.exe - it's very small as far as its usage goes.

When I doubleclick a second time (BEFORE connecting to the internet) and the game runs, a second usage of Engine.exe spawns and has a lot larger usage (as expected as the program is now properly running).

VERY odd.

*edit to add* And obviously the first instance of Engine.exe remains, waiting for the first time I connect my computer to the internet to "fire up" the game LOL.
This does sounds like the old "Games Explorer" issue, where it would attempt to get info about the game from the internet, and if it couldn't connect, it would stay around forever (or at least for a very long time). Try disabling it and see if the problem persists.
I read some reviews here on GOG, that was enough to kill it for me. Maybe on the next X-mas sale I might pick it up.
JMich: This does sounds like the old "Games Explorer" issue, where it would attempt to get info about the game from the internet, and if it couldn't connect, it would stay around forever (or at least for a very long time). Try disabling it and see if the problem persists.
I was so excited to see this as it sounds exactly like what could be happening to me (and I hadn't been aware of Games Explorer believe it or not).

Alas, not it :( Automatic connect / update for games was disabled and I unchecked the boxes for the other stuff but it still has the same odd behavior.

Anyone know of a way to disable this behavior from the shortcut? Or at least find out what might be causing the calls, aside from a firewall that blocks out everything?
Ixamyakxim: Alas, not it :( Automatic connect / update for games was disabled and I unchecked the boxes for the other stuff but it still has the same odd behavior.
Yes, this was discussed a bit in this thread, and it seems that the art and information part is irrelevant. Togusa's first post gives you a possible solution, which does involve editing the registry. Take a look here for more possible solutions, mainly deleting or unregistering the dlls.
Ixamyakxim: Alas, not it :( Automatic connect / update for games was disabled and I unchecked the boxes for the other stuff but it still has the same odd behavior.
JMich: Yes, this was discussed a bit in this thread, and it seems that the art and information part is irrelevant. Togusa's first post gives you a possible solution, which does involve editing the registry. Take a look here for more possible solutions, mainly deleting or unregistering the dlls.
Heh, never opened Games Explorer before now, did so to see what settings you were talking about, result being that it added multiple entries for NWN (base, SoU, HotU, Diamond) to the list while before those weren't registered in the games list (not the GOG version). Wonder if I enabled smth that was off before by doing that.
Cavalary: Wonder if I enabled smth that was off before by doing that.
LOL I hope I didn't either - I've never opened (or knew the thing existed) that before! ;)

JMich:
I'm going to check those out tonight and see if I can't get it sorted that way.
JMich: Yes, this was discussed a bit in this thread, and it seems that the art and information part is irrelevant. Togusa's first post gives you a possible solution, which does involve editing the registry. Take a look here for more possible solutions, mainly deleting or unregistering the dlls.
This took care of it! Thanks JMich!

I just wiped the GameEU (or EX or whatever it was) registry keys for everything that wasn't listed in one of those threads.

I think it was all but Machine Settings and Games? And that did the trick! Thanks! It wasn't *that* big a deal, but annoying none-the-less. And reading that thread seemed to imply I might have been losing 10+ % performance on one of my cores as a .dll executed and tried to make a call whenever I wasn't connected and playing a game... so... always.