It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mortals not allowed.

<span class="bold">Pray for Death</span>, a 2D fighting game where legendary warriors duel their way out of Death's domain, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Cthulhu, Anubi, a big ugly demon, and a vaguely familiar martial arts master are only some of the warriors that join Death's tournament for a chance at resurrection. Brutal combat is their trade and they deliver it with high kicks, bloody punches, and devastating combos, softening their opponents up for the particularly gruesome killing blow.
The game reminds "Savage Warriors" - another fighting game from the 90s.
It was so good!
Check the video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHMjUfqmEQ
That would be an instabuy for me!
Really?
lol what the heck is this? :D
XYCat: lol what the heck is this? :D
A bunch of bleeding pixels! :D I bought it... :-P
Impaler26: It's one of those trashy Mortal Kombat clones for PC. IIRC the name was the best thing about it and the gameplay was pretty lame.
HunchBluntley: NO THAT COULDN'T BE HOW DARE YOU ALL GAMES FROM THE '90S WERE AWESOME AND ORIGINAL AND ARE CLASSICS ONE ONE WON.
Yeah, the bad old days of gaming, when you could pick between badly animated Mortal Kombat clones and early 3D eye-bleeders. There's a reason why I'm not too nostalgic for the games of the 90' ^^

Looking at the gameplay videos posted earlier in the thread, this game looks like the missing link between those two styles.
Can't remember this game. After reading some old reviews I know why.
Oh, a very interesting game. Not the best from that era, but still one of the rare one.
Here you can see some gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UUokR26J9M

Yes, it has low-res graphics (320x400),so that is, why the screenshots look bad.

And something special from the mobygames page:
Pray for Death is quite possibly the only game to feature H.P. Lovecraft's infamous Cthulhu as a playable character.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pray-for-death

Is it worth to try? Well, yes. But I would wait for a discount.

There were some interesting DOS / Windows 95 fighting games for sure:
- FX Fighter (and later the upgraded Turbo version)
- Primal Rage
- One Must Fall series (the last was 2097)
- Sango Fighter series
- Xenophage Alien Bloodsport (1995)(Apogee)
- Ultimate Body Blows (available on GOG)
- Savage Warriors
- Sword Of Honour (1993)
- Battle Beast (the graphics were great, the gameplay ... well, not so much)
- Battle Arena Toshinden series
- X-Men: Children of the Atom
- Samurai Shodown II (Windows)
- Fatal Fury III (Windows)
- Mortal Kombat series (most of these available on GOG, however I would like to see some day, MK Trilogy and MK4)
- Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
- Virtua Fighter series
- Brutal: Paws of Fury

... and that is it, mostly. There are some other, but it is only a handfull compared to games on consoles or arcades.
Post edited April 06, 2017 by OraEtLabora
God, that list is such a stark reminder of how bad fighting games on PC were in the '90s. All of those games are abysmal, except for the ports of arcade games... which were pretty much terrible ports across the board.
Hah! Just recently I read a review of this game in an old gaming magazine from Croatia called Hacker.It scored 2.......out of 100 :) The reviewer is widely known to Croatian and Bosnian audience,one and only,the man,the legend - Damir Rukavina !
OraEtLabora: There were some interesting DOS / Windows 95 fighting games for sure:

I remember Xenophage, probably the worst fighting game i ever played after Rise of the Robots. :D

It was available on Steam so maybe it will also be released on GOG one day.
OraEtLabora: There were some interesting DOS / Windows 95 fighting games for sure:

Impaler26: I remember Xenophage, probably the worst fighting game i ever played after Rise of the Robots. :D

It was available on Steam so maybe it will also be released on GOG one day.
Yeah. It was sh*t. If I remember correctly, recently it went freeware. Go to Apogee's/3DRealms website, maybe there you can download it. It works flawlessly in DosBOX.

http://legacy.3drealms.com/xenophage/
Post edited April 06, 2017 by OraEtLabora
I have watched the playthrough and I couldn't find anything about that I liked, expect maybe the introduction and somehow: the font. Maybe because it reminds me of Ragnarok, the brutally hard roguelike with many enemies that could kill you in a single blow, no matter how powerful you were and those blasted psionics that could slowly kill you from a few screens away...
Post edited April 06, 2017 by jorlin
Now THIS is a game that could do with a remake. The cool premise and ideas are there, they just need to be executed well.

edit: Also, that logo image is great. Anyone know where I can find the full version? I can't seem to find it searching and reverse image searching.
Post edited April 06, 2017 by Bonsewswesa
zeogold: Huh, this looks interesting.
*checks the screenshots*
GOD HAVE MERCY! MY EYES! MY EYEEEEES! IT BURNS!
DITTO!!!
I played the demo but I can't remember much.
Does anyone remember the title of an old DOS beat 'em up, 1994 circa, in wich the fighters were puppets? It's had a dark/horror atmophere. Google and lists are not helping me.