It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mortals not allowed.

<span class="bold">Pray for Death</span>, a 2D fighting game where legendary warriors duel their way out of Death's domain, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Cthulhu, Anubi, a big ugly demon, and a vaguely familiar martial arts master are only some of the warriors that join Death's tournament for a chance at resurrection. Brutal combat is their trade and they deliver it with high kicks, bloody punches, and devastating combos, softening their opponents up for the particularly gruesome killing blow.
Chacranajxy: God, that list is such a stark reminder of how bad fighting games on PC were in the '90s. All of those games are abysmal, except for the ports of arcade games... which were pretty much terrible ports across the board.
Nope, at least half of these games were very good. If anything beat'em ups today are worse. Hope that helps.
HunchBluntley: It's another random oldie from Interplay. I'm But having another fighting game in the fold (even if it's derivative or out-and-out terrible) may have also been a consideration.
Flaose: Now if only we could get OMF 2097 on the site. I know it's freeware but still...
I still hold out a little hope for that in the future...
Chacranajxy: God, that list is such a stark reminder of how bad fighting games on PC were in the '90s. All of those games are abysmal, except for the ports of arcade games... which were pretty much terrible ports across the board.
Beg to differ: you obviously never really played One Must Fall 2097, Budokan, Mortal Kombat 1-2-3, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Virtua Fighter PC: all good-to-excellent fighting games.

I tried *every* beat'em up ever released for DOS/Windows and while it's true that there were too many lazy ports and bad original franchises, and sure the platform was no Heaven for the dedicated fighting gamer, nonetheless the situation was far from abysmal.

As for Pray for Death, it had some problems, but on the whole it was a satisfying game and when it came out it had some wow effect, too: no one expected a real Killer Instinct clone for DOS!

Yes, it showed lack of polish here and there, and some errors typical of a rookie dev team (extra cheesy and badly translated dialogues; unnecessary and clunky CGI movies; stiff blocking moves); but had a solid combo system, a roster of interesting characters and *very* good visuals for the time, far superior to SNES version of Killer Instinct and a little below Nintendo 64 port (KI Gold) which had polygonal backgrounds.

For all those going "oh my poor eyes!": yes, CGI models were a little grainy at 320x200 resolution, and screen captures don't do them justice; but all the rest -animations, details, light effects, perspective scrolling floor- was surprisingly good.
Post edited April 09, 2017 by mcp123
IwubCheeze: While I never played this game myself (though it reminds me of Savage Warriors), I think I remember seeing a not so favorable review for it in an issue of PCGamer. A lot of GOGer's in this thread don't seem to hold it in high regard either. Maybe GOG is trying to increase the number of fighting games in their library? Search for fighting games and this is all there is (The rest in the search aren't fighting games):

Pray for Death
Mortal Kombat 1 - 3
BlazBlue Calamity Trigger
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Ultimate Body Blows
And the Guilty Gear games were removed. When did that happen? I must've missed that.
BrokenBull: And the Guilty Gear games were removed. When did that happen? I must've missed that.
February 21st.
And I'm still confused about the whole thing.
BrokenBull: And the Guilty Gear games were removed. When did that happen? I must've missed that.
HunchBluntley: February 21st.
Hmph, that's too bad. It's not like there are a ship load of fighting games here or even J-games. Thanks for the info!
HunchBluntley: February 21st.
BrokenBull: Hmph, that's too bad. It's not like there are a ship load of fighting games here or even J-games. Thanks for the info!
;)