It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Mortals not allowed.

<span class="bold">Pray for Death</span>, a 2D fighting game where legendary warriors duel their way out of Death's domain, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Cthulhu, Anubi, a big ugly demon, and a vaguely familiar martial arts master are only some of the warriors that join Death's tournament for a chance at resurrection. Brutal combat is their trade and they deliver it with high kicks, bloody punches, and devastating combos, softening their opponents up for the particularly gruesome killing blow.
No. Why? Really? No.
OraEtLabora: Oh, a very interesting game. Not the best from that era, but still one of the rare one.
Here you can see some gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UUokR26J9M

Yes, it has low-res graphics (320x400),so that is, why the screenshots look bad.

And something special from the mobygames page:
Pray for Death is quite possibly the only game to feature H.P. Lovecraft's infamous Cthulhu as a playable character.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/pray-for-death

Is it worth to try? Well, yes. But I would wait for a discount.

There were some interesting DOS / Windows 95 fighting games for sure:
- FX Fighter (and later the upgraded Turbo version)
- Primal Rage
- One Must Fall series (the last was 2097)
- Sango Fighter series
- Xenophage Alien Bloodsport (1995)(Apogee)
- Ultimate Body Blows (available on GOG)
- Savage Warriors
- Sword Of Honour (1993)
- Battle Beast (the graphics were great, the gameplay ... well, not so much)
- Battle Arena Toshinden series
- X-Men: Children of the Atom
- Samurai Shodown II (Windows)
- Fatal Fury III (Windows)
- Mortal Kombat series (most of these available on GOG, however I would like to see some day, MK Trilogy and MK4)
- Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
- Virtua Fighter series
- Brutal: Paws of Fury

... and that is it, mostly. There are some other, but it is only a handfull compared to games on consoles or arcades.
You're missing Brudal Baddle.

On topic, I actually own this on CD. I found it for like a couple bucks somewhere and thought, eh, why not?
Dogmaus: I played the demo but I can't remember much.
Does anyone remember the title of an old DOS beat 'em up, 1994 circa, in wich the fighters were puppets? It's had a dark/horror atmophere. Google and lists are not helping me.
I only remember ClayFighter, but that wasn't for PC.
Wait ... you mean arcade beat'em up?
Talking about fighting games for pc i actually enjoyed the untochables fighting game but can't play it anymore since a friend somehow made a crack on the cd.
Sadly that friend isn't alive anymore.
Holy Killer Instinct, this looks... oh wow, so horrible. I mean, somebody actually wrote "Naah, I don't need a dog face". It's hilarious, in a terrible way. Glad to have it, though, if only because of archival purposes.
The characters are great, i'll give it that, but i don't find these type of games interesting nowadays even though I do return to Street Fighter from time to time. And do i see Cthulhu (or basically a mini-Cthulhu...) fighting a Minotaur-thing in what appears to be an orthodox church? WTF! :P
Post edited April 06, 2017 by Vythonaut
Vythonaut: The characters are great, i'll give it that, but i don't find these type of games interesting nowadays even though I do return to Street Fighter from time to time. And do i see Cthulhu (or basically a mini-Cthulhu...) fighting a Minotaur-thing in what appears to be an orthodox church? WTF! :P
Yes.

From the mobygames page:
Pray for Death is quite possibly the only game to feature H.P. Lovecraft's infamous Cthulhu as a playable character.

OraEtLabora: Yes.

From the mobygames page:

He saved the world once
Bonsewswesa: edit: Also, that logo image is great. Anyone know where I can find the full version? I can't seem to find it searching and reverse image searching.
Is this what you were looking for? https://images-3.gog.com/eeafa9e82c6aa0928d99d3c2429d373851a71699d65f2d6160b491076575a10e.jpg
Yeah. :D

In modern times, Cthulhu is in many games ...
Oh God! This game wasn't worth $5.99 when it was new! XD
Vythonaut: The characters are great, i'll give it that, but i don't find these type of games interesting nowadays even though I do return to Street Fighter from time to time. And do i see Cthulhu (or basically a mini-Cthulhu...) fighting a Minotaur-thing in what appears to be an orthodox church? WTF! :P
OraEtLabora: Yes.

From the mobygames page:

Yeah, alright, i've read your previous post but that doesn't explain the fact that a Lovecraftian mythos entity fights against a Greek mythos beast in an orthodox Christian church -- quite contradicting, don't you think? Not to mention the robot character.. Hilarious cast that's even more hilarious given the setting. And the absence of the right proportions of course.

As a matter of fact, an orthodox church isn't a very common setting in video games, at least in my knowledge. The only other game i can recall that features an orthodox church setting is Metro 2033.
Holy crap, totally forgot about this game. And I was almost sure it was titled Prayer of Death or something.

Anyhow, remember playing this game with my buddy back in the day. Don't remember much else. I recall it looking really cool to our little geeky eyes. Cleary I'm not allowed to trust my memories.

Will gladly pick it up, though, for nostalgia's sake.
Early prerendered 3D models in 2D VGA games produced some of the ugliest visuals in gaming history. Everything about the technology contributed toward ugliness. The dithering of shading, the unnatural smooth geometry lacking details, the pixelation, the clash with the 2D artwork, the limited color palette, everything. They weren't all equally ugly, but I can't think of a single title using similar technology that looks nice compared to traditional 2D.

The only other technologies that were so predisposed toward ugliness were 4-color CGA on the PC, where every color was hideous, and low-polygon texture-mapped character models during the transition to 3d acceleration, which empowered cubist nightmares to lurch around the screen.
low rated
Pray For Death was one of a endless number of "Mortal Kombat" wannabes that were common in the late 80's and 90's. Shovelware is nothing new.