It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
JudasIscariot: ... Will we stick to the classics? ...
Trilarion: Well with this release you have come a bit closer to the original goal of GOG. :) I'm thankful for every single classic that comes back.
I'm happy that someone thought it would be cool to have the rights to these two games instead of just leaving them out there :)
JudasIscariot: Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)
zorach: System Shock! System Shock! System....

JudasIscariot: Keep in mind this doesn't mean we are going to work miracles with games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
zorach: Aw, $#!+.
Sorry but I'd rather not get everyone's hopes up and yes, I know which game(s) you were thinking of :)
IAmSinistar: Wow, great releases! And kudos on being the actual publisher. Clearly GOG is expanding the business in new directions. Maybe you'll be interesting in buying outright some of the games I've been trying to track down. :)
JudasIscariot: Yes, this is the BIG THING I was hyping a while back :D
IAmSinistar: Quite hype-worthy. It may look small at the moment, but it has the potential to be huge.
See, when I hype it's for a good reason :P
IAmSinistar: I do think we need a new GOGmix - GOG Games Published By GOG :)
Trilarion: Btw. are they regionally priced? Does anyone know?
Well, they are flat priced save for the RU/CIS region so, technically, yes, they are regionally priced.
high rated
JudasIscariot: All I know and can comfortably share is that we bought them outright :) The finer details are not for me to know :)
SLP2000: Could ou be more specific? I mean, did you buy rights to pubkisg them, or you just signed a deal with copyright holder to publish those games?
We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
JudasIscariot: We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
skeletonbow: Seriously though, this is very cool. Good luck finding the compilers/assemblers needed to actually successfully *compile* any of that code this long after the fact mind you, but source code is nice to have no matter what. ;o) Need any help porting them to Linux? ;oP
Our games programmers are quite smart so I think they'd be able to figure something out if something like this were to actually happen :)
JudasIscariot: ... games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
BreOl72: Well, you know - like Alexander the Great once proved, Gordian knots are actually pretty easy to loosen.
All one needs is a sharp sword.

;o)
Sure, but how do you deal with an INFINITE amount of 'em? :P
Post edited May 05, 2015 by JudasIscariot
JudasIscariot: We bought the rights to those specific games right down to the source code(if it exists somewhere in the ether), so to speak :) Does that help a bit more? Sorry, but I can't be too specific :/
SLP2000: Seriously, I wonder why it took you so long to do this. :)
I have no idea, maybe there was a lot of research going on, no clue really :D

At least now we can officially declare these two games as no longer abandoned :D
JudasIscariot: Sure, but how do you deal with an INFINITE amount of 'em? :P
IAmSinistar: You just need to arm an infinite amount of monkeys. They'll have free time once they're done typing up the works of Shakespeare. :)
Good luck finding that many, though :)
budejovice: What should seem like good news is totally tempered by Galaxy. Not sure if I'm still a customer here or not...
May I ask what you mean by "tempered by Galaxy"?
Garret02: Coming back to localisation. Look, I know that it is necessary evil, but for fucks sake, make it optional.
Umm it's always been optional around here :)
JudasIscariot: Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)

Keep in mind this doesn't mean we are going to work miracles with games whose legal limbo woes are worse than an infinity of Gordian knots.
RadonGOG: So: Does this already applies to these two games---in other words:
Do you own them completely now? Like: You get 100% of the money you gain via sales?

Oh, BTW: You doesn´t adress you, Judas, personally---although a "Thievin' Bastard" of course could take all the money and run... :D )
I guess we do? I don't know, I don't deal with the financial bits :) As for the "completely", well, I've been told we even have the rights to the source code for the games so I guess that counts as completely :D
JudasIscariot: Umm it's always been optional around here :)
Garret02: Yeah, I know (and very happy about that). That post was just my personal rant at CDP that I was just holding back inside me for a long time :P
Just to clarify how optional the translations are:

If we can, we separate the languages so each one has its own installer with a given language's name in the file name so you'd see something like "setup_random_game_polish_2.0.0.4.exe" :)

If it's impossible to separate the languages, you still have the option to choose which one you want to use unless it's one of those games that tries to be "smart" and chooses the language for you based on your system language (this is annoying as all hell but there's not much we can do about this :/ )
JudasIscariot: .. I've been told we even have the rights to the source code for the games so I guess that counts as completely :D
Trilarion: Just to be sure: Do you have the source code too, or only the rights? :)
The rights :)
JudasIscariot: Just to clarify how optional the translations are:

If we can, we separate the languages so each one has its own installer with a given language's name in the file name so you'd see something like "setup_random_game_polish_2.0.0.4.exe" :)

If it's impossible to separate the languages, you still have the option to choose which one you want to use unless it's one of those games that tries to be "smart" and chooses the language for you based on your system language (this is annoying as all hell but there's not much we can do about this :/ )
skeletonbow: It might be possible for someone to override the language a game detects by using environment variables or commandline options to the executable. I'm not sure of the details of how locale related information is passed around in Windows, but on POSIX systems like Linux you can set the LANG=xxx variable or any of the various LC_???? variables to specify overrides to the default system locale settings when starting a script or executable and the program will inherit these settings instead of the system defaults. For example in Linux one would override a system configured for German or some other language by doing:

LANG=en_CA /usr/bin/mygame --gameoptions blah blah

that causes the game to run in the Canadian English locale. I presume something similar exists in Windows which might work with games as well, but again I'm a Linux gearhead when it comes to this sort of thing so... :)
If it's a newer game with an active developer, it's up to them, we aren't going to do their work for them :)

In the case of older games, we usually make a language selector that allows you to switch the language easily :)
Post edited May 06, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Veloxi: Hey GOG guys, I might be a horrible skimmer and a pedant, but in the description of Fantasy General it says,

"Fantasy General is the second installment in Strategic Simulations’ Five Star General Series..."

That's actually not true. It's the third installment. The second was Allied General. The order of the original five, I believe is:

Panzer General
Allied General
Fantasy General
Star General
Pacific General

Just wanted to let y'all know. :)
Fixed :)