It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Taken to a better place.

UPDATE: Taken by Robyn Miller's amazing <span class="bold">soundtrack</span>? You can now pull it out of the gameworld and let it roam free in yours! It contains 28 tracks, both in mp3 and FLAC, plus all your hopes and dreams.

<span class="bold">Obduction&reg;</span>, the much anticipated first-person puzzle/exploration adventure from the makers of the legendary Myst series, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com.

A fateful encounter with an organic artifact that fell from the sky transports you to a distant world that feels both completely alien and strangely familiar. As if a slice of Earth lodged itself inside a surreal landscape full of giant pieces of machinery, unknown technology, and strange creatures. While trying to make sense of this mysterious place and your purpose in it, you'll gradually uncover adjacent worlds, harboring their own mysteries and echoes of previous inhabitants.

As a true spiritual successor to <span class="bold">Myst</span>, Obduction® relies on similar storytelling and world-building techniques, so expect FMV actors inside breathtaking environments. The borders of reality, fantasy, and dream often become blurred, but you'll need your powers of perception at full swing in order to overcome the devious puzzles and compelling mysteries of this incredible world - especially if you are experiencing it in overwhelming VR.

Explore and absorb the secrets of an alien landscape full of wonders in <span class="bold">Obduction&reg;</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yxspyVX_FqA

Q&A with Cyan Worlds

You asked the questions, Cyan gave us the answers. Enjoy!

How did Cyan approach puzzle design for a game like this? Puzzles have changed a lot since Myst came out and in the book From Myst to Riven, Rand spoke about how good puzzles don't feel like puzzles but tasks in the world you are completing; invisible and intuitive. I wonder how you approached puzzle design for this game and whether or not you took inspiration from any new puzzle/adventure games out there?JoystickJunkie64

We love the idea of removing the player from a familiar situation and putting them in a completely unfamiliar place. In some ways -- and without giving too much away -- Obduction’s game mechanics and puzzle design pull from that, which may remind players of the experience they had playing Myst. With that being said, Obduction is still its own game with a refreshingly different story, and we spent hundreds of hours coming up with puzzles that are both rewarding and challenging to complete, and help progress the player’s understanding of the story at the same time.

With Obduction taking advantage of the latest tech to push amazing visuals, sound, etc, do the puzzles take advantage of this with it being an HD, 3D world to explore? - Mewzard

It has been such a blast working in an engine that supports real-time graphics during gameplay. We have an extremely talented team of artists who have worked so hard to make the environments and puzzles in Obduction look incredible and feel real to the player as they walk around and take in the space they’re in. Since we have also been developing a VR version of the game, we are taking special care in making sure interactable objects/puzzles scale well compared to the player, which ensures that the experience feels as natural and life-like as possible. Overall, the puzzles in Obduction do not shy away from relying on the surrounding environment to tell a story about them, so we hope that our players take time to explore and enjoy the worlds we’ve created.

How difficult will the puzzles in Obduction be, compared to Myst and Riven? Will the game feature an in-game hint system? - Crosmando

The puzzles in Obduction will be difficult, but the solutions are never pulled out of thin air. The puzzles are most akin to Riven, where although they are complex, each solution has a rhyme or reason to it: whether it is something the player observes from the environment they’re in, a number system they’ve learned from the civilization that used to inhabit the area, etc. Our aim in creating each puzzle was to create “A-ha!” moments from our players upon solving them, not moments of sheer frustration and confusions, so we’re hoping that our puzzles will feel as rewarding to the player as they were intended to be.
We will not have an in-game hint system, but we will have a glint system that indicates interactable objects in the game for those who may feel they need a guiding hand or may be overwhelmed by the expanse of our worlds.

Will Obduction reward veteran puzzle players with tougher puzzles or alternate endings? - Pearcinator

There are several different ways to play through Obduction.
We will leave it at that.

How do you deal with the new generations of gamers? - Alex_Gol

We know that the generation of gamers who played and loved Myst are not going to be the only ones playing Obduction. It’s been nearly 23 years since Myst came out and there have been significant shifts of mindsets in the gaming industry since then. Thus, we’ve taken our core principles that made our games so successful in the first place and adapted them to fit new technology, mechanics, and interaction that suit the demand of the gaming industry today. We think that with these new tools and almost a metamorphosis of the way we’ve developed games up until now, Obduction will fuel our player’s sense of imagination, wonder, and exploration -- just like Myst did 23 years ago -- while still remaining relevant and innovative in today’s day and age.

How long is the game? - SolidSnale

Depending on how you play it, Obduction can take 5-20+ hours to complete.

About note-taking and books to read:

As with our previous games, note-taking will be helpful when playing Obduction, although not 100% necessary. We created a new picture-taking and photo-viewing system for Obduction that will alleviate the need to stop the game to jot down some notes. This way, players can remain immersed in the game and look through their picture notes in the in-game menu for reference.

There are plenty of books to read in-game, and some of these books shine more light into the lore behind Obduction. We hope that those texts and other experiences in the game can whet the appetite of players who always seek to know more about the environment they’re in.

Any chance of a third person perspective as well? - Moonbeam

In the spirit of Myst, we are only providing a first-person player perspective in Obduction.

Will there be subtitles or anything like closed captioning in this game? - gwprime

We have subtitles and interface translations for 7 different languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, and Simplified Chinese.

I am really intrigued by a new game coming from Cyan. I see that the game is developed for Windows and Mac. Is a linux version in development plans, too?igrok

Obduction will have support for Windows at launch and Mac coming soon. Linux will not be supported at release but perhaps will be in a future update to the game.
Post edited August 26, 2016 by maladr0Id
Looking forward to it. But will need to wait till I get a new rig...
Hi folks,

Just a quick update, the soundtrack for Obduction can be bought separately from the game :) Enjoy :)
JudasIscariot: Hi folks,

Just a quick update, the soundtrack for Obduction can be bought separately from the game :) Enjoy :)
And another 9 Euro. Adding to this the roundabout 30 Euro price for the base game this would nearly be the price for Witcher 3 when it is not in sale. Thank you but no thanks. I loved the Myst games but this pricing imo is totally off!
Post edited August 27, 2016 by MarkoH01
I've redeemed my backer code with GOG, and I've been playing the game. My pledge level included a copy of the soundtrack, but I only have access to the WAVE file version. If you're selling the MP3/FLAC version why don't I have access to those as well?
So game soundtracks are now optional premium content? Wow. o.O
richlind33: So game soundtracks are now optional premium content? Wow. o.O
Speaking for the Kickstarter, I had to increase my pledge to get the soundtrack.

It would be very unfair to the people who backed the game and paid extra to get the soundtrack to turn around and see it given away for free with the purchase of the game alone.
Post edited August 28, 2016 by selderane
richlind33: So game soundtracks are now optional premium content? Wow. o.O
selderane: Speaking for the Kickstarter, I had to increase my pledge to get the soundtrack.

It would be very unfair to the people who backed the game and paid extra to get the soundtrack to turn around and see it given away for free with the purchase of the game alone.
I agree with that. But offering something as fundamental as a soundtrack as a bonus for larger pledges is downright scummy, IMO.
selderane: Speaking for the Kickstarter, I had to increase my pledge to get the soundtrack.

richlind33: I agree with that. But offering something as fundamental as a soundtrack as a bonus for larger pledges is downright scummy, IMO.
I don't know if I agree with that, and I'm someone with a very large soundtrack collection! It's additional content. I see no reason to expect it for free, and I have no problem paying for it.

I guess I simply do not see the inclusion of the soundtrack as fundamental to the game experience. It's content to be enjoyed outside the game and as such deserves to be paid for.
richlind33: I agree with that. But offering something as fundamental as a soundtrack as a bonus for larger pledges is downright scummy, IMO.
selderane: I don't know if I agree with that, and I'm someone with a very large soundtrack collection! It's additional content. I see no reason to expect it for free, and I have no problem paying for it.

I guess I simply do not see the inclusion of the soundtrack as fundamental to the game experience. It's content to be enjoyed outside the game and as such deserves to be paid for.
Additional content? So it's nothing more than a higher quality version of what's in the game?

If that's the case, please disregard what I've said. lol

That's really cool, thanks! Admittedly I'll be waiting for a sale on that, but I really appreciate not having to own the game to get the OST. Hopefully this continues.
tfishell: That's really cool, thanks! Admittedly I'll be waiting for a sale on that, but I really appreciate not having to own the game to get the OST. Hopefully this continues.
I missed the highlighted word at first, thanks for bringing it to my attention (inadvertently). I'd also like to see this soundtrack policy more often!
tfishell: That's really cool, thanks! Admittedly I'll be waiting for a sale on that, but I really appreciate not having to own the game to get the OST. Hopefully this continues.
Wurzelkraft: I'd also like to see this soundtrack policy more often!
Absolutely, unless the OST can be included as a freebie/bonus content without raising the price (though admittedly those soundtracks can sometimes be missing content, so it can sometimes be better to just download the OSTs from a fansite or listen on YouTube).

MarkoH01: And another 9 Euro. Adding to this the roundabout 30 Euro price for the base game this would nearly be the price for Witcher 3 when it is not in sale. Thank you but no thanks. I loved the Myst games but this pricing imo is totally off!
Wait wait wait

Since when are developers/publishers required to provide the full soundtrack for free? It's included in the game files as background music, but it's pretty damn fair to have people pay for the high quality standalone version. You know, previous Cyan games had this too! I've got the Myst, Riven and Uru OSTs on CD right here next to me. That is normal. It's great when games do come with a free OST download, and some do, but this is a business! It's not wrong to make money from your intellectual property O_o It's still music that has been composed, played and recorded by someone. You wouldn't complain about DVDs not coming with a free soundtrack CD, now would you? Last time I checked they don't.

And honestly this is Cyan. This company went through a lot of shit and kept on powering through it which is amazing. They aren't Blizzard, or EA, or any other company that has so much money thrown at it that they can just do whatever the hell they want and still have money to spare to regularly piss off customers. The money for the soundtrack is most likely more than welcome and needed if they want to make another game like this.
Seriously, it's worth. every. penny. Just finished, and it was amazeballs.
MarkoH01: And another 9 Euro. Adding to this the roundabout 30 Euro price for the base game this would nearly be the price for Witcher 3 when it is not in sale. Thank you but no thanks. I loved the Myst games but this pricing imo is totally off!
rehlyihmah: Wait wait wait

Since when are developers/publishers required to provide the full soundtrack for free? It's included in the game files as background music, but it's pretty damn fair to have people pay for the high quality standalone version. You know, previous Cyan games had this too! I've got the Myst, Riven and Uru OSTs on CD right here next to me. That is normal. It's great when games do come with a free OST download, and some do, but this is a business! It's not wrong to make money from your intellectual property O_o It's still music that has been composed, played and recorded by someone. You wouldn't complain about DVDs not coming with a free soundtrack CD, now would you? Last time I checked they don't.

And honestly this is Cyan. This company went through a lot of shit and kept on powering through it which is amazing. They aren't Blizzard, or EA, or any other company that has so much money thrown at it that they can just do whatever the hell they want and still have money to spare to regularly piss off customers. The money for the soundtrack is most likely more than welcome and needed if they want to make another game like this.
People today don't even pay 10 Euros for normal CDs and for a niche game 30 Euro imo is just too expensive. That is my opinion given the average price of indie games and AAA games. It may be that the game is worth the price but that would be completeley subjective. In my opinion 30 Euro for the base game alone is much above average - taking an aditional 10 Euros for a soundtrack in my opinion is just too much. I have added this game to my wishlist since my backlog is soooo long that I can wait like forever until I will buy. And THAT is what I am trying to say. Not many people will buy at one given the pricing and I don't think the desv/publishers are aware of this. 15-20 Euro imo would be much fairer for such a game.
Post edited August 29, 2016 by MarkoH01