It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time to visit a small back-alley cafe, where the dead are granted one last night to mingle with the living. Necrobarista is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 15% discount lasting until 29th July 2020, 2:30 PM UTC. Inspired equally by film and anime, the game follows a dynamic and diverse cast of characters as they navigate Melbourne's hipstery coffee culture, the questionable ethics of necromancy, and the process of letting go.

Visit our Twitch channel today at 5 PM UTC, and watch cool Necrobarista gameplay brought to you by THEcroxxx.
FrodoBaggins: Let me get this straight. You think that suggesting it's okay to think up your own achievements, and give examples, is rude.
A suggestion is making a full blown attempt at what you mean with a solution. Not a direct reply to a redundant question with a "Here's your achievements". It's clear mocking someone with a little snide remark at the end, "I'm sure you can think of others".
ShadowWulfe: Is it really that hard for the developers to do achievements on GOG?
FrodoBaggins: Here's your achievements.

- Talk to Character X 20 times
- Carry 15 Inventory items
- Help 3 characters in need
- Stay on the same screen for 10 minutes

I'm sure you can think of other things to add to that list.
If you started with something like, "This is only a suggestion, but you could make some personal achievements for fun like, 'example A', 'example B', 'etc' " Then perhaps it would be a suggestion. Yet instead you open with, "Here have a cookie little boy" type approach, and you know this. Yet some reason you feel the need to troll on the internet. Hmm, those achievement-less games got you bored already? Maybe you should go make up some more achievements instead of trolling. That is only a suggestion....

FrodoBaggins: But ganging up on me and attacking me, cos I'm not totally in love with achievements, is NOT rude??? Wow, that's really messed up!
Ah those who cast the first stone have real room the talk here for when being objectively criticized by others. Specially when you're addressing me directly via quoting me and making such a comment, as if I've ganged up on you, lol. I have no such affiliations with any of the people in these forums. Rarely even come to them. Trolling the victim complex to someone doesn't suit you well.

FrodoBaggins: Games without achievements are NOT worthless games. Just enjoy the game for what it is. There's nothing wrong with that.
You seem to really love to troll as no one even suggested such a thing. Not even once. The first comment you replied to was redundant in the fact it was just a voice in the wind stating a disappointment in lack of a feature. Then a few posts later there is this that you're trying to take out of context.
Kryornis: I was waiting for this one but since it doesn't have achievements here, I'll pass until they are added.
This doesn't imply the game is bad for not having achievements in the slightest. Again only a disappointment in the lack of a feature. Yet you're still trying to troll this straw-man...

FrodoBaggins: Like I said above, I am not a 'Mr'. Or a 'him'. Kindly address me as female.
You can kindly address me as my pronoun, "zim". I should so take you to a court of law in Canada for mis-gendering me on the internet. Not that anyone would know. Same as you with the name of, "FrodoBaggins" a males name and an avatar of a male. This is the internet and no one knows your gender or pronouns. Please stop belittling this a mocking people like myself with your sad ploy at trolling. It's quiet rude.

I will address you a she for the record. Though, don't use it as ammo for a fight and I do no apologize for not knowing on the internet. When no one on the internet can know unless you have it written on your sleeve so to speak. Using this as ammo only makes the stereotyping stronger which hurts people like myself. As they look at you as an example and judge others as the person that made a grand stand over it.
Post edited July 24, 2020 by Nachra
FrodoBaggins: In what way was I 'mocking'? Since when is making suggestions and having an opinion 'mocking'?
I could say that you are bullying, cos I don't totally love achievements!
Seriously? That's not mocking?

And over here where a user asked if it's possible to transfer extras, including achievements from GOG to Steam, you suggested that every so often he shouts out "*BING*" in lieu of achievements, you were not mocking but making a bona fide suggestion too?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/problem_with_steam_recognising_games_bought_on_gog/post2

Oookay, if you say so...

No, I'm not bullying you because you don't totally love achievements. I don't like achievements either, so I just disabled them. I just don't see the need to go out to threads where people discuss them and interrupting them with "hey just make your own: walk 10 steps" comments.
It's like going to a discussion where a user is complaining that he lost his stamp collection and saying "hey, just cut out small paper squares and draw something on them - there you have made your own stamps."
But I think I've made enough analogies to other hobbies already. You'll do as you please, I imagine.

Have a good day.
FrodoBaggins: BTW, I'm female, not male. Kindly address me as such.
Noted. Apologies about that.
Post edited July 24, 2020 by ZFR
To further explain my view. I buy here for the drm free first and foremost, but I also want this "basic" feature if it is included on the other store. Parity is all I’m asking.
Nice to see that when a person has enough maturity and personal development does not need to go after people who enjoy different things and can understand that to each their own (ZFR). For example, I can see why achievements, that I like, might be breaking the rythm of the game or be annoying and gamers should be able to deactivate them when they don't like them. Someone complaining that achievements are compulsory in a game would be totally right.
And if you are impersonating Frodo Baggings, a male character...take it as addressed to Frodo, not you :) I am a woman too, but with neutral name and a boyish avatar I can expect to be addressed as a man. It should not be relevant to this conversation. You could rather awknoledge that several people are pointing out the fallacies and attitude of your posts, so you could do some self-criticism and matbe see why. And it is not just about a discussion about Barista or achievements but it's a helpful thing in life in general, to admit when you are wrong or concede that you might not always have the truth in your pockets. If many are saying that your words were rude and even thinking that you are trolling take a deep breath and see that no one is bullying you, ZFR was trying to make you see a point and you got defensive. We are among fellow "gogglins" only wanting to have a good time on the forum talking about our passion.
Dogmaus: Nice to see that when a person has enough maturity and personal development does not need to go after people who enjoy different things and can understand that to each their own (ZFR). For example, I can see why achievements, that I like, might be breaking the rythm of the game or be annoying and gamers should be able to deactivate them when they don't like them.
I actually did like the "proto-achievements" in the early DOS games. Rise of the Triad for example had those so-called bonuses that you could get in each level for destroying all plants, killing all enemies, finding all secrets... etc. It was fun going through those levels with your schoolfriends trying to get them, especially without internet walkthroughs to guide you through them.

I did go for achievements for a year or two in the early 2010s. However, once every game and their mother started having them, they quickly became just boring. I think games just became oversaturated with achievements. Since players expect every game to have some, developers add achievements whether the game is suitable for them or not. And often this amounts to just lazy ones like "kill 100 enemies" or "collect 50 items".

For me achievements, as their name suggests, should be something you "achieve". Something that is fairly difficult and you have to go out of your way to get. Not something you get easily through the course of the game.

The only recent games where I did actively go for achievements were Escape Goat 2 and SpaceChem. Both had achievements where you had to beat some levels with limited resources or without using an ability. These were really fun because you had to think outside the box on how to beat this level.

I'm sure there are many other games that have interesting achievements too, but I really don't feel like sifting through "collect n weapons" or "reach level x" to find them. Nowdays I just find it easier to disable the popups and just forget about them.
o.O *thinks of many better things to do than arguing about achievements ad nauseam*
The OST (it's by the same guy that did the soundtrack for Made in Abyss, Kevin Penkin ) will be dropping on Steam on July 30th, will GOG be getting it as well?
Games should be bought on based on the game itself. Not for its bloody achievements . Lack of achievements shouldnt detract from it either.
Achievements in a game are a BONUS. FFS.

Fully expect some to write low reviews for games without/few achievements. How petty.
high rated
Hello everyone! I'm the programmer for Necrobarista.

Someone mentioned a thread running on GOG for Necrobarista, so I thought i'd pop in and have a read.

There's a lot happening in this thread so I figured I would make an account and clarify some things.

Firstly we've had a few questions about the GOG and supporting achievements.
We originally weren't going to ship achievements at launch on GOG, Steam, or Apple Arcade. Our core team is very small so it doesn't take much for us to become thinly spread, particularly trying to manage all the things involved in launch of a game.

But, I decided to do a little sneaky work and implement them anyway in my own time. This was due to having already integrated the Steamworks SDK and having direct access to the Steam dashboard. The same is true for the iOS/macOS version.

This hasn't been the case for GOG unfortunately. At the time of posting, our GOG storefront is not managed by us, but instead by our publishers. Which means I don't have immediate access to the resources required to implement things like achievements.

This means other things, like having to hand over the latest patched build and requesting it be uploaded on our behalf.
This of course results in a variable delay in all platforms receiving an update at the same time.

Not maintaining parity between platforms when it's something that could be within my control isn't something I'm super comfortable with, so I have been requesting access to the dashboard over past couple of weeks, but having emails acted upon can sometimes not be as immediate as you would like.

Secondly, somebody mentioned making the OST available for purchase through GOG. This is a bit outside my purview, but it's something I can pass on.
UPDATE: We're in the process of making the OST available via GOG.

TL:DR; the intention for achievements is there, it's somewhat a matter of red tape.

I hope that gives some context to the current lack of achievements. I'll be monitoring this thread for future questions.
Post edited July 26, 2020 by _ygbr
_ygbr: Hello everyone! I'm the programmer for Necrobarista.

Someone mentioned a thread running on GOG for Necrobarista, so I thought i'd pop in and have a read
Hi, thank you for passing by and clarify things. You might ask GOG staff for a developer account, that will make you visible - with your name in yellow.
This is the proper Necrobarista discussion place, you might also want to give a look at it:
https://www.gog.com/forum/necrobarista#1595778855
_ygbr: TL:DR; the intention for achievements is there, it's somewhat a matter of red tape.

I hope that gives some context to the current lack of achievements. I'll be monitoring this thread for future questions.
Thank you very much for this clarification, it's great to know that you are working to solve this little problem. Thanks also for the possibility to buy the soundtrack on GOG soon!
_ygbr: TL:DR; the intention for achievements is there, it's somewhat a matter of red tape.
Thanks for that answer. I respect you for disclosing that stuff.

Lots of devs/publishers on GOG just can't be bothered to even try to treat GOG customers equally.

So if not for you having made that post, then myself and (probably others also) would have assumed that Achievements aren't there with your game simply because the devs/publisher don't care and don't respect GOG customers enough to give them equal products to the same identical games that are on Steam.

But I'm glad that you've made clear that you do actually care, and that you are making efforts to bring full parity to the GOG version.
Post edited July 27, 2020 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Nachra: Answering a question with a question. Amazing work there Fridgeband. All you seem to do is this loop the loop. You're not proving that it wasn't a rude comment for multiple posts or double posting with saying you don't see something, answering with another question, and claiming something "Woosh" as going over the persons head in understanding (a.k.a their stupid) doesn't help your argument. Being as this is the internet we can't say the full extent of a persons mindset when they post. Posts are text and provide no body language or emotional ques so everything we read on the internet has some form of projection. However, that may be the case, there is a point where majority rule here is the key factor to the answer. Be that as we are playing your troll game with. Seems you've lost this one based on the majority of people saying Frodo was being rude.

1 The People
0 Fridgeband & Mr Hairy Feet

-----
As for the topic of achievements. Well personally I don't have to have them. However, if a developer and publisher can take the extra time to add it to a DRM system they had to implement and can't add it to a DRM-Free version it seems like you're being cheated for your money. Considering they would've taken the extra time and money to implement the Steam DRM and/or say Denuvo and still have the ability to work on achievements within that DRM system. I mean the DRM-Free version should have cost less and made less work, but you pay the same or sometimes more and get less work put into the game.

Same thing with "Cloud Saving" when GOG provides it and it's not used, but is on Steam. Sure you can backup all of your 100+ game saves and move them from machine to machine. Though, why should I pay the same and get less on this as well?
I am proving a point, and the very fact that you are contradicting yourself by accusing me of of only seeming to be able to "loop the loop" while you yourself in your very first sentence are already deflecting and evading that very point that I am trying to make in the first place is very telling. You say that I am not proving that it wasn't a rude comment, but in fact I actually did just that. I proved that it wasn't a rude comment by FrodoBaggins by pointing out how the post that they made when they listed achievements was in fact actually an accurate list. I also in the same point I was proving, pointed out that everyone misunderstood their post as sarcastic, and thus viewed it as hostile, when in fact- the post was not being sarcastic. I have been playing video games for many years, and I know that the list of achievemnts that FrodoBaggins posted was not sarcastic, but in fact surprisingly accurate. The fact that the very accurate list of very realistic achievements was automatically percieved by so many people as being sarcastic, is not proof that FrodoBaggins post was rude in any way, but rather it was proof of the state of video games and the quality of achievements that actually exist- AS A WHOLE. Because FrodoBaggins post about a list of achievements was so accurate, and the quality of achievements has been so frustratingly low over many years of video games, I can fully understand why everyone looked at their post and said "no way this is real, they're just being rude" But really, they were only simply being honest. I am not calling ANYONE stupid, please do not put words in my mouth. I am simply stating with the "woosh" comment, that there is a very obvious reason why many people who I DO BELIEVE ARE ALL INTELLIGENT AND CAPABLE (A respectful compliment to many of our fellow forum users) are accidentally misunderstanding the context and the meaning of FrodoBaggins post. If you think my words do not help my argument, you are right, because I am making a completely different argument than the words you accusing me of saying.

You say:"Being as this is the internet we can't say the full extent of a persons mindset when they post. Posts are text and provide no body language or emotional ques so everything we read on the internet has some form of projection."

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. We are 100% in agreement on that specific set of words. However, I must ask, WHY then- are we all okay with making the assumption that they mean something bad? Wouldn't it have been more constructive to simply ask FrodoBaggins their true intentions rather than randomly accusing them of bad intentions?

You go on to say: "However, that may be the case, there is a point where majority rule here is the key factor to the answer."
I am beyond surprised at your words. You are telling me that just because a large group of people all decide that they choose what a person means, that this actually forces the person, FrodoBaggins being the person in question, to automatically retroactively mean and intend what the "majority rule" as you say, WANTS THEM TO MEAN? Are you telling me that a large enough group of people can mind-control someone into meaning something that they don't actually mean, without their knowledge or consent? How is this possible? Can you teach me how to use these super powers?

You then say:
"Be that as we are playing your troll game with. Seems you've lost this one based on the majority of people saying Frodo was being rude."
Having an opinion does not make me or FrodoBaggins a troll, and this is a conversation, not a game. The forum is where people talk about games, not play them.

ZFR:
ShadowWulfe: Troll bridge, don't feed the trolls.
Dogmaus: No one is belittling games without achivements. People who likes them are noticing with disappointment that games that have achievements on Steam don't have them for the GOG version. It's unfair that we are getting less content that we like for the same money. I'd rather still support the GOG version but I will ask to the devs that they fix this.
Why people need to jump in everytime this happens and say that achievements are stupid or things were better on their C64?
I personally do not like achievements AT ALL
I hate the idea of having my gameplay experience being constantly judged, which takes the fun out of it for me.
HOWEVER... If the game has achievements, I do agree that they should be included in all releases of the game. I do find that unfair that they are missing from one version, if they are actually in fact included in another version. If they're just being removed like that, it is silly and I recognize that sillyness and understand everyones frustration. I just hope that there is always the option to remove and disable achievements from my own game if they are in a game that I play, and I strongly believe that disabling or removing the achievements should automatically unlock any game content that is locked behind the achievements, because the only thing more frustrating than achievements, is achievements that are tied into the games code and lock content unless the achievement is unlocked. I will always choose the option to disable achievements, and I just really hope that that also unlocks all of that locked content. Sometimes, if a game has achievements, I automatically simply don't buy that game. I usually permanently just avoid it forever. I think achievements are the worst thing that has ever happened to video games, along side "payed download-able content or DLC" Honestly, if the game has to distract me with immersion breaking achievements that pop up and interrupt my game play experience to judge me and judge what I have done in the game, then I personally think that this is a measure of the quality of the game. I feel that the game isn't good enough to entertain me all by itself, as it has to rely on a gimmick to keep me distracted from how boring the game actually is in reality.

Again, these are all my opinions and nobody has to agree with me, you can even keep calling me or anyone else who disagrees "a troll" simply for disagreeing (because how dare we have opinions!?) Why should we have to be labeled as bullies for having an opinion? It's just plain wrong. We all have a right to an opinon, and the right to share it. Everyone also has the right to agree or disagree. I hope you all have a nice day. Sincerely, I mean it. have a nice day.
fridgeband: You say that I am not proving that it wasn't a rude comment, but in fact I actually did just that. I proved that it wasn't a rude comment by FrodoBaggins by pointing out how the post that they made when they listed achievements was in fact actually an accurate list.
You didn't prove anything.. All you did was accuse someone of projection and reply with questions to questions. As stated before this is the internet and you nor myself can know the intent of anything put into text. This means your "projection" or putting words into someones mouth is a pointless argument to make. We all read the text and perceive that information based on our own experiences and knowledge. Again at some point the majority is the decider of what is or is not true in a text based world. The majority states you're wrong, so "0 Fridgeband & Mrs FrodoBaggins - 1 The majority".

Then something being similar doesn't make something right. Just because some random low budget card farming game on Steam has a game that might have a "Wait in the screen" or similar sub-par achievements in it, doesn't mean Mrs FrodoBaggins wasn't being rude. By your logic we should still be racist. Sure a crude way to take the conversation, but test scores for some races are averaged lower so there for when someone states a race will never be as good as another it's true right? Because we have facts and data pointing to past examples. Sure not the best way or example to bring up, but it seems it was needed to prove the point. ZFR has done the nicer approach and failed with you multiple times or you just keep coming back as Mrs FrodoBaggins sock-puppet account to troll more.

fridgeband: I am not calling ANYONE stupid, please do not put words in my mouth. I am simply stating with the "woosh" comment, that there is a very obvious reason why many people who I DO BELIEVE ARE ALL INTELLIGENT AND CAPABLE (A respectful compliment to many of our fellow forum users) are accidentally misunderstanding the context and the meaning of FrodoBaggins post. If you think my words do not help my argument, you are right, because I am making a completely different argument than the words you accusing me of saying.
Well if it was not meant to be that understandable. Though, you did use the word "Whoosh" which is used to mock those whom didn't understand a joke. Then to double mock them if they fail to understand the meaning of, "Whoosh". A very juvenile thing, but it's done.

Though again, your perception of what you read isn't falling in line with the majority. As stated before we are a text based system here. No body language, emotional ques, facial expressions, micro-expressions, etc. In this case we are back to, "0 Fridgeband & Mrs FrodoBaggins - 1 The Majority". You can argue this point of view until you're blue in the face, but you're still not in the majority rule. The community has spoken so to speak.

fridgeband: I couldn't possibly agree with you more. We are 100% in agreement on that specific set of words. However, I must ask, WHY then- are we all okay with making the assumption that they mean something bad? Wouldn't it have been more constructive to simply ask FrodoBaggins their true intentions rather than randomly accusing them of bad intentions?
Why do we consider it yelling when someone capitalizes text? Why do we have sentence structures that lead us to a form of meaning based on text? Why do we read multiple periods, exclamation marks, etc for meaning things? Why do we say, "Everything before the word 'but' is crap"? Why do we use text in forums and not just old-school YouTube video response instead?

We can continue down this road of questions on top of questions. Though, there are ways of writing things and educates on a text based system that do lead to some conclusions. Which can still be used wrong and lead down a different path, but Mrs FrodoBaggins never did anything of redirecting things otherwise. Instead she started making strawman arguments about people saying a game was bad just because of posts that stated disappointment in a lack of a feature, calling people bullies for making the opposing view point in a constructive way, and other means of not correcting anything. Instead she just did things to fan the flames so to speak, which leads to the conclusion, "It's a Trap!" or a.k.a a troll.

fridgeband: I hate the idea of having my gameplay experience being constantly judged, which takes the fun out of it for me.
You need to make some real friends then. Real friends don't judge you over petty things. Also, this is GOG where you can make your whole profile not active if you do not like being judged (using your words) by say the background you picked on your profile page.

fridgeband: Again, these are all my opinions and nobody has to agree with me, you can even keep calling me or anyone else who disagrees "a troll" simply for disagreeing
See you say don't put words or meaning into others mouths. Yet you do the exact same thing here... It's not that people or myself are calling you a troll for disagreeing. It's the random fact no one is proving it was or wasn't something based on text. Yet some how you keep stating to know what Mrs Baggins meant when even Mrs Baggins is doing things to try and continue the same train of thought. Specially when she brings in "gender/pronouns" as ammo for a conversation about "achievements" when in a text based system with a name and avatar which is male...

Also, if we are going down the road stating calling "troll" in this conversation based on ones actions being used as disagreeing. Well claiming people are bullies, bullying, ganging up, etc is the exact same thing you're complaining about. Yet some how, this is acceptable on a text based system that you said you agreed with me on not knowing peoples intents. While targeting people that state "troll" as a disagreement or not a valid viewpoint based on this so called psychobabble this conversation has gone down. Which makes all parties guilty with this logic at all times. Yet again this is where majority rule steps in to solve the problem. Leading us back to, "0 Fridgeband & Mrs Frodobaggins - 1 The majority".
Nachra: The majority states you're wrong, so "0 Fridgeband & Mrs FrodoBaggins - 1 The majority".
Well, if a gang of achievement-addicts decide we're wrong because we don't love achievements, it must be true then, mustn't it. Maybe I find your attitude of 'I'm right and you're wrong, so there!' very rude and condescending.

And I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why setting your own goals is so unacceptable? Using ZFR's example of bird watching, I would get more enjoyment from thinking myself, 'I'd like to see a robin in the apple tree', or 'I'd like to see a sparrow in the bird bath', or 'Wouldn't it be nice to see 2 starlings flying together', instead of being told 'You must view X amount of sparrows, otherwise you haven't enjoyed yourself'.