It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time to visit a small back-alley cafe, where the dead are granted one last night to mingle with the living. Necrobarista is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 15% discount lasting until 29th July 2020, 2:30 PM UTC. Inspired equally by film and anime, the game follows a dynamic and diverse cast of characters as they navigate Melbourne's hipstery coffee culture, the questionable ethics of necromancy, and the process of letting go.

Visit our Twitch channel today at 5 PM UTC, and watch cool Necrobarista gameplay brought to you by THEcroxxx.
high rated
fridgeband: If people can get their achievements, sure you know, I guess I don't care, but please give people the option to disable achievements.
Are there any clients that don't let you disable achievements?

I honestly don't know how Galaxy handles it and in Steam it's easy to disable it.

fridgeband: Why such hostility, to an opinion? are they not allowed to have this opinion?
No, not for having an opinion but for mocking people who like achievements.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion or disliking them, but Frodo first post purposely mocked those who enjoyed them.

Compare your post where you expalained your opinion to his post #6.

And this is not the first time he makes posts like this.
Post edited July 23, 2020 by ZFR
low rated
RelicMaster: Looks...odd.
I agree. The game looks very interesting to me, but I feel very conflicted in whether or not I want to purchase it, my reasons being that I have no idea what the actual game play looks like, which I wish the developers would have made more clear and obvious. I can't really know if I will enjoy it or not. Another issue is that the game seems over-saturated in excessive amounts of "bloom" which is a certain kind of graphics option that makes things look more bright and glowing and fuzzy. bloom looks nice in some places, but often causes a lot of people to get very bad headaches. Until I know that there is a graphical settings option to disable the bloom (some games never include this option) I can not in good faith even attempt to consider purchasing the game, even though I LOVE the idea of an anime-video game.
FrodoBaggins: Here's your achievements.

- Talk to Character X 20 times
- Carry 15 Inventory items
- Help 3 characters in need
- Stay on the same screen for 10 minutes

I'm sure you can think of other things to add to that list.
Patias: Wow, look what we have here, a traditional hater of achievements. If you want to attract attention, pay for an ad on a billboard.

<3
Having an opinion somehow equals hate? ...................what....? O_O ?
FrodoBaggins: Explain to me why you can't just think of your own achievements, if that's what you like?
ZFR: Because the purpose of them is not to make your own achievements but to get achievements that the designers put in. And you now that fully well. The purpose of your post was simply to disparage those users who like them.

I personally never look at them, mainly because I don't use game clients. I don't know why people like them or why they feel there is a need for the designer to provide them instead of "writing their own" as you put it. But I do know that people like different things. My friend likes birdwatching. I think it's completely boring and I tell her that. Yet when she complains to me that she spent three hours looking and caught nothing I don't tell her "well why don't you just look at a photo and mark it in your log book. It's the same thing, right? hahaha".

But again, to each their own. If writing such posts is what makes you feel better, then go ahead.
I'm just saying but having an opinion isn't automatically some vast conspiracy of a crime to "disparage those users who like them" and to be completely fair, your friend that likes birdwatching in your story reacted to your calm and reasonable opinion that you think "bird watching is boring" in a much more polite and reasonable way than everyone seems to be reacting to FrodoBaggins for simply sharing their own opinion. And yes, of course you don't just respond and tell her what you said you would not tell her, but essentially everyone is doing this to FrodoBaggins while simultaneously accusing them of doing that same exact thing.

When FrodoBaggins posted their list of achievements, that wasn't actually a joke, which everyone seems to have missed. I have played games with achievements for many years and that list was actually shockingly 100% accurate, which actually ties into the point that they were making. /wooooooooooooooosh-moment as they say when a joke flies over and is missed.
Post edited July 23, 2020 by fridgeband
low rated
FrodoBaggins: Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling games that don't have achievements?
ZFR: Absolutely yes. Just like it's ok to hate achievements. Or hate hate FPSs, or RPGs. Or video games. There are many game genres that I hate and there are many games/movies/books that I say are absolute rubbish. But I know they have their fan clubs, and I wouldn't think of going and keep making fun of those people who do like them.

Hating a game is different from belittling people who do like it.

FrodoBaggins: Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling those of us that just enjoy the game for what it is?
ZFR: Absolutely not. But to be honest I've never seen people belittling me for enjoying a game without going for achivements. The other way around - I've seen a lot.
Maybe it's important to note what is going on in this thread then?
high rated
fridgeband: When FrodoBaggins posted their list of achievements, that wasn't actually a joke, which everyone seems to have missed.
But it is. He knows that what people who like achievements enjoy is getting achievements that the designer put in. Don't tell me that wasn't mocking. It was. And Frodo knows it was made in a mocking way.
ZFR: Absolutely not. But to be honest I've never seen people belittling me for enjoying a game without going for achivements. The other way around - I've seen a lot.
fridgeband: Maybe it's important to note what is going on in this thread then?
Aside from posts in reply to Frodo, I don't see anyone doing it. Nobody is going "only stupid people don't go for achievements. hahaha".
Post edited July 23, 2020 by ZFR
low rated
fridgeband: If people can get their achievements, sure you know, I guess I don't care, but please give people the option to disable achievements.
ZFR: Are there any clients that don't let you disable achievements?

I honestly don't know how Galaxy handles it and in Steam it's easy to disable it.

fridgeband: Why such hostility, to an opinion? are they not allowed to have this opinion?
ZFR: No, not for having an opinion but for mocking people who like achievements.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion or disliking them, but Frodo first post purposely mocked those who enjoyed them.

Compare your post where you expalained your opinion to his post #6.

And this is not the first time he makes posts like this.
I have fairly often been in situations where I wanted to disable achievements, and wasn't able to completely disable them because they ended up being linking to some part of in-game content, so disabling them didn't unlock the content, because it was hard-coded to always be tied to the achievement. This ruined lots of video games for me.

You say FrodoBaggins mocked others in this thread. Can you show me the specific and exact place and post where they mocked others? I'm actually really curious because after reading the entire thread I was unable to find this. Can you quote it "they said this right here".

You say this isn't the first time they make posts like this, Okay, but I don't really feel like judging someone else who is a complete stranger to me based on a reputation that others have decided for them, probably against their wishes. I am judging FrodoBaggins, not by their name, but by their argument, and I think it's a really good argument.
high rated
fridgeband: I have fairly often been in situations where I wanted to disable achievements, and wasn't able to completely disable them
OK, fair enough. I'm happy I never came across such games.

fridgeband: You say FrodoBaggins mocked others in this thread. Can you show me the specific and exact place and post where they mocked others? I'm actually really curious because after reading the entire thread I was unable to find this. Can you quote it "they said this right here".
I did. Post #6.

low rated
fridgeband: When FrodoBaggins posted their list of achievements, that wasn't actually a joke, which everyone seems to have missed.
ZFR: But it is. He knows that what people who like achievements enjoy is getting achievements that the designer put in. Don't tell me that wasn't mocking. It was. And Frodo knows it was made in a mocking way.
fridgeband: Maybe it's important to note what is going on in this thread then?
ZFR: Aside from posts in reply to Frodo, I don't see anyone doing it. Nobody is going "only stupid people don't go for achievements. hahaha".
FrodoBaggins is mocking people... Okay prove it. Show me.

And did see people, people who I replied to calling FrodoBaggins an "achievement-hater" (some strong words) simply for sharing their opinion. So I have yet to, and have-yet already, noticed a clear pattern here. I'm open to having my mind changed if you can convince me I'm wrong, however. Please do so.
fridgeband: I have fairly often been in situations where I wanted to disable achievements, and wasn't able to completely disable them
ZFR: OK, fair enough. I'm happy I never came across such games.

fridgeband: You say FrodoBaggins mocked others in this thread. Can you show me the specific and exact place and post where they mocked others? I'm actually really curious because after reading the entire thread I was unable to find this. Can you quote it "they said this right here".
ZFR: I did. Post #6.

ZFR:
I say this in the nicest way possible, and I have tried to say this already, but that list is actually 100% accurate. I have seen those things in games before. I feel like everyone is missing the realization that FrodoBaggins wasn't actually mocking or trying to make a joke, because that list isn't even close to being sarcastic or anything at all. It's actually accurate.
high rated
fridgeband: I feel like everyone is missing the realization that FrodoBaggins wasn't actually mocking or trying to make a joke, because that list isn't even close to being sarcastic or anything at all. It's actually accurate.
It's the equivalent of saying to someone who loves birdwatching "just look at photos, it's the same thing, right?" or to someone who's complaining that he can't go mountain hiking because of the weather "just run up the stairs a hundred times; it's the same thing."

For people who like achievements, "writing their own - talk to the same character 3 times" is not the same as getting an achievement put by the designer. Frodo knows it - his comment was meant only to mock them. I really don't hate anyone for having an opinion, it's post #6 that I have beef with.

Frodo himself knows he was mocking achievements with it.
low rated
fridgeband: I feel like everyone is missing the realization that FrodoBaggins wasn't actually mocking or trying to make a joke, because that list isn't even close to being sarcastic or anything at all. It's actually accurate.
ZFR: It's the equivalent of saying to someone who loves birdwatching "just look at photos, it's the same thing, right?" or to someone who's complaining that he can't go mountain hiking because of the weather "just run up the stairs a hundred times; it's the same thing."

For people who like achievements, "writing their own - talk to the same character 3 times" is not the same as getting an achievement put by the designer. Frodo knows it - his comment was meant only to mock them. I really don't hate anyone for having an opinion, it's post #6 that I have beef with.

Frodo himself knows he was mocking achievements with it.
But where is the mocking? FrodoBaggins provided a surprisingly accurate list of achievements that have actually been in games that contain achievements before.
You're claiming that "they know" and that they're saying this but that they really mean something else by it, but it just sounds like you're putting words in their mouth to be honest.
high rated
fridgeband: But where is the mocking? FrodoBaggins provided a surprisingly accurate list of achievements that have actually been in games that contain achievements before.
You're claiming that "they know" and that they're saying this but that they really mean something else by it, but it just sounds like you're putting words in their mouth to be honest.
OK have it your way. Frodo's post was a genuine attempt to help the user solve his problem of lack of achievements in the game.

Writing your own extremely simple achievements is exactly the same as solving achievements put in by the developer and having them included in the game client, therefore Frodo's genuine attempt at help is a viable substitution for someone who'd like this game to have achievements on GOG.

I really have better things to do than arguing this in a news thread that's about the release of a game.
low rated
fridgeband: But where is the mocking? FrodoBaggins provided a surprisingly accurate list of achievements that have actually been in games that contain achievements before.
ZFR: OK have it your way. Frodo's post was a genuine attempt to help the user solve his problem of lack of achievements in the game.

Writing your own extremely simple achievements is exactly the same as solving achievements put in by the developer and having them included in the game client, therefore Frodo's genuine attempt at help is a viable substitution for someone who'd like this game to have achievements on GOG.

I really have better things to do than arguing this in a news thread that's about the release of a game.
On a side-note, remember the good old days when people would go to their friends house and say "You wouldn't believe what I figured out how to do in this video game" and all their friends would rush over and watch in awe as they would see what they figured out how to do. The achievement was in their hearts. just saying.
high rated
No one is belittling games without achivements. People who likes them are noticing with disappointment that games that have achievements on Steam don't have them for the GOG version. It's unfair that we are getting less content that we like for the same money. I'd rather still support the GOG version but I will ask to the devs that they fix this.
Why people need to jump in everytime this happens and say that achievements are stupid or things were better on their C64?
Post edited July 23, 2020 by Dogmaus
high rated
ZFR:
Troll bridge, don't feed the trolls.
fridgeband: Honestly, sincerely, what is "snide" or "frustrated" about literally anything they said? Can you actually point out the specific places where their comments are "snide" or "frustrated"? All I see is someone getting attacked for having a simple opinion. They're doing a pretty good job of explaining why they hold this opinion, and in a polite way as well.
Why such hostility, to an opinion? are they not allowed to have this opinion?
fridgeband: You're claiming that "they know" and that they're saying this but that they really mean something else by it, but it just sounds like you're putting words in their mouth to be honest.
fridgeband: /wooooooooooooooosh-moment as they say when a joke flies over and is missed.
Can you point to me what is an opinion? Ar they not allowed to be snide or frustrated?

Answering a question with a question. Amazing work there Fridgeband. All you seem to do is this loop the loop. You're not proving that it wasn't a rude comment for multiple posts or double posting with saying you don't see something, answering with another question, and claiming something "Woosh" as going over the persons head in understanding (a.k.a their stupid) doesn't help your argument. Being as this is the internet we can't say the full extent of a persons mindset when they post. Posts are text and provide no body language or emotional ques so everything we read on the internet has some form of projection. However, that may be the case, there is a point where majority rule here is the key factor to the answer. Be that as we are playing your troll game with. Seems you've lost this one based on the majority of people saying Frodo was being rude.

1 The People
0 Fridgeband & Mr Hairy Feet

-----
As for the topic of achievements. Well personally I don't have to have them. However, if a developer and publisher can take the extra time to add it to a DRM system they had to implement and can't add it to a DRM-Free version it seems like you're being cheated for your money. Considering they would've taken the extra time and money to implement the Steam DRM and/or say Denuvo and still have the ability to work on achievements within that DRM system. I mean the DRM-Free version should have cost less and made less work, but you pay the same or sometimes more and get less work put into the game.

Same thing with "Cloud Saving" when GOG provides it and it's not used, but is on Steam. Sure you can backup all of your 100+ game saves and move them from machine to machine. Though, why should I pay the same and get less on this as well?
ZFR: But it is. He knows that what people who like achievements enjoy is getting achievements that the designer put in. Don't tell me that wasn't mocking. It was. And Frodo knows it was made in a mocking way.
In what way was I 'mocking'? Since when is making suggestions and having an opinion 'mocking'?
I could say that you are bullying, cos I don't totally love achievements!

BTW, I'm female, not male. Kindly address me as such.
Nachra: Answering a question with a question. Amazing work there Fridgeband. All you seem to do is this loop the loop. You're not proving that it wasn't a rude comment for multiple posts or double posting with saying you don't see something, answering with another question, and claiming something "Woosh" as going over the persons head in understanding (a.k.a their stupid) doesn't help your argument. Being as this is the internet we can't say the full extent of a persons mindset when they post. Posts are text and provide no body language or emotional ques so everything we read on the internet has some form of projection. However, that may be the case, there is a point where majority rule here is the key factor to the answer. Be that as we are playing your troll game with. Seems you've lost this one based on the majority of people saying Frodo was being rude.

1 The People
0 Fridgeband & Mr Hairy Feet
Let me get this straight. You think that suggesting it's okay to think up your own achievements, and give examples, is rude. But ganging up on me and attacking me, cos I'm not totally in love with achievements, is NOT rude??? Wow, that's really messed up!

Games without achievements are NOT worthless games. Just enjoy the game for what it is. There's nothing wrong with that.

Don't give Fridgeband a hard time for defending me. Thankyou Frideband, I appreciate it. ( :

Like I said above, I am not a 'Mr'. Or a 'him'. Kindly address me as female.
Post edited July 24, 2020 by FrodoBaggins