It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time to visit a small back-alley cafe, where the dead are granted one last night to mingle with the living. Necrobarista is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 15% discount lasting until 29th July 2020, 2:30 PM UTC. Inspired equally by film and anime, the game follows a dynamic and diverse cast of characters as they navigate Melbourne's hipstery coffee culture, the questionable ethics of necromancy, and the process of letting go.

Visit our Twitch channel today at 5 PM UTC, and watch cool Necrobarista gameplay brought to you by THEcroxxx.
low rated
FrodoBaggins: No, I just get frustrated when some people think that games are worthless without extra fluff.
Besides, they wanted achievements, I gave them a list of achievements.
Dogmaus: you get the achievement of being a bitter little hobbit. FYI not all achievents are do something x times, and some are related to easter eggs or unusual choices in a game and are very satisfactory for many players. Expecially in such a story driven game, I can expect the achievements being very creative. In Amanita's Pilgrims it was a way of knowing when you have exhausted every possibility and all the ideas and a push to replay that little gem, for example. It's not fluff to me and many others, why would someone be so angry about the way other people enjoy their games XD
I, and many others, enjoy playing a game just for the sake of playing the game. We enjoy the characters, and getting lost in the game world. How does that make me bitter?
Having pop-ups appearing every 2 seconds, saying 'You've Done This' or 'You've Done That', doesn't mean it's suddenly a better game.
And if you enjoy the game, you would replay it anyway.
high rated
FrodoBaggins: No, I just get frustrated when some people think that games are worthless without extra fluff.
Why? If for them having a popup "you've achieved x" is what makes the game worthwhile, why is that a reason for you to get frustrated?

You, as you said, enjoy playing the game for the sake of playing. They enjoy those little popups. Are those snide comments of yours that you keep writing necessary? The superior holier-than-thou attitude? How about letting others enjoy what they enjoy.
having achievements, especially on steam, often means to realize that 4% of the people who own x game actually play it to completion.
I was waiting for this one but since it doesn't have achievements here, I'll pass until they are added.
Post edited July 25, 2020 by Kryornis
That too, sometimes it's just fun to see that, but I prefer knowing how my choices were in accord to the majority or very unusual, or having done something weird in the game that only a few other players ever thought of. Or sometimes doing some achievement hunting like killing the merchant or stuff like that in Crypt of the Necrodancer.
Why someone can be bitter like unsweetened absynth for that...
Besides, when the game Is new it's fair that most people has not completed It yet.
Post edited July 23, 2020 by Dogmaus
Looks...odd.
An anime visual novel involving Melbourne's over-hyped coffee culture? Which one of the Seven Seals did the existence of this end up breaking? What a strange time this is.

"This is the most Melbourne game imaginable."
-- Some person who has never seen Melbourne outside of PAX and the surrounding area.
Probably the only game ever made based in Victoria
high rated
ShadowWulfe: Is it really that hard for the developers to do achievements on GOG?
FrodoBaggins: Here's your achievements.

- Talk to Character X 20 times
- Carry 15 Inventory items
- Help 3 characters in need
- Stay on the same screen for 10 minutes

I'm sure you can think of other things to add to that list.
Wow, look what we have here, a traditional hater of achievements. If you want to attract attention, pay for an ad on a billboard.

<3
low rated
ZFR: You, as you said, enjoy playing the game for the sake of playing. They enjoy those little popups. Are those snide comments of yours that you keep writing necessary? The superior holier-than-thou attitude? How about letting others enjoy what they enjoy.
Is it necessary for all the snide comments that games without achievements are 2nd class games?
That holier-than-thou attitude is unnecessary.
Why belittle games that don't have achievements?
Explain to me why you can't just think of your own achievements, if that's what you like?
high rated
FrodoBaggins: Explain to me why you can't just think of your own achievements, if that's what you like?
Because the purpose of them is not to make your own achievements but to get achievements that the designers put in. And you now that fully well. The purpose of your post was simply to disparage those users who like them.

I personally never look at them, mainly because I don't use game clients. I don't know why people like them or why they feel there is a need for the designer to provide them instead of "writing their own" as you put it. But I do know that people like different things. My friend likes birdwatching. I think it's completely boring and I tell her that. Yet when she complains to me that she spent three hours looking and caught nothing I don't tell her "well why don't you just look at a photo and mark it in your log book. It's the same thing, right? hahaha".

But again, to each their own. If writing such posts is what makes you feel better, then go ahead.
Post edited July 23, 2020 by ZFR
low rated
FrodoBaggins: Explain to me why you can't just think of your own achievements, if that's what you like?
ZFR: Because the purpose of them is not to make your own achievements but to get achievements that the designers put in. And you now that fully well. The purpose of your post was simply to disparage those users who like them.

I personally never look at them, mainly because I don't use game clients. I don't know why people like them or why they feel there is a need for the designer to provide them instead of "writing their own" as you put it. But I do know that people like different things. My friend likes birdwatching. I think it's completely boring and I tell her that. Yet when she complains to me that she spent three hours looking and caught nothing I don't tell her "well why don't you just look at a photo and mark it in your log book. It's the same thing, right? hahaha".

But again, to each their own. If writing such posts is what makes you feel better, then go ahead.
Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling games that don't have achievements?
Cos I see so many posts like that, but you don't seem to be attacking them, like you are to me.

Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling those of us that just enjoy the game for what it is?
high rated
FrodoBaggins: Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling games that don't have achievements?
Absolutely yes. Just like it's ok to hate achievements. Or hate hate FPSs, or RPGs. Or video games. There are many game genres that I hate and there are many games/movies/books that I say are absolute rubbish. But I know they have their fan clubs, and I wouldn't think of going and keep making fun of those people who do like them.

Hating a game is different from belittling people who do like it.

FrodoBaggins: Do you think it's okay to make posts belittling those of us that just enjoy the game for what it is?
Absolutely not. But to be honest I've never seen people belittling me for enjoying a game without going for achivements. The other way around - I've seen a lot.
low rated
Dogmaus: you get the achievement of being a bitter little hobbit. FYI not all achievents are do something x times, and some are related to easter eggs or unusual choices in a game and are very satisfactory for many players. Expecially in such a story driven game, I can expect the achievements being very creative. In Amanita's Pilgrims it was a way of knowing when you have exhausted every possibility and all the ideas and a push to replay that little gem, for example. It's not fluff to me and many others, why would someone be so angry about the way other people enjoy their games XD
FrodoBaggins: I, and many others, enjoy playing a game just for the sake of playing the game. We enjoy the characters, and getting lost in the game world. How does that make me bitter?
Having pop-ups appearing every 2 seconds, saying 'You've Done This' or 'You've Done That', doesn't mean it's suddenly a better game.
And if you enjoy the game, you would replay it anyway.
THANK YOU! you read my mind! In my honest opinion, if a game needs achievements popping up to be fun, the game was not fun enough to begin with. I love games that are very fun all on their own. If people can get their achievements, sure you know, I guess I don't care, but please give people the option to disable achievements. Nothing worse than the game refusing to let me unlock something just because it's tied to an achievement I don't care about, or can't really do for a variety of good reasons, or simply do not want to do, right? I don't like being forced to do things in games, really shatters my immersion.

I'm glad achievements as a gimmick seem to have run their course because I felt that they always ended up stuck to so many games and it always felt forced, like I was being patronized for doing a good job by getting praise for being forced to do a task I didn't actually want to do, which ruined the immersion of many games. Pretty much every single game I ever played that contained achievements, seemed to only contain achievements because the game felt empty and required another distraction for the player.

This is just my opinion, but I've made that opinion based on a combination of some good solid facts. Everyone is welcome to disagree of course, and I'm sure many will, but I certainly can not just sit by and watch someone with a pretty fair and honest opinion and perspective just get low rating mob-down-voted for simply sharing their opinion.

Shocking how hostile things are.
ZFR: Why? If for them having a popup "you've achieved x" is what makes the game worthwhile, why is that a reason for you to get frustrated?

You, as you said, enjoy playing the game for the sake of playing. They enjoy those little popups. Are those snide comments of yours that you keep writing necessary? The superior holier-than-thou attitude? How about letting others enjoy what they enjoy.
Honestly, sincerely, what is "snide" or "frustrated" about literally anything they said? Can you actually point out the specific places where their comments are "snide" or "frustrated"? All I see is someone getting attacked for having a simple opinion. They're doing a pretty good job of explaining why they hold this opinion, and in a polite way as well.
Why such hostility, to an opinion? are they not allowed to have this opinion?

"Holier-than-thou"? Seriously? for having. an. opinion.

Wow.
ZFR:
True, unless they do not want to be tracked or have spy-ware internet connected drm type stuff in the game (Which I am NOT saying this game has or hasn't, since I do not know) There is of course the ability to rely on peoples often passionate reviews of the game they play. I often play a game to completion or as far as I am able (assuming nothing goes wrong) and then I leave very long reviews detailing my experience, either without spoilers, or with an adequate spoiler warning of course.

case in point, achievements being a means of tracking people doesn't really make them fun or necessary. Just saying.
Kryornis: I was waiting for this one but since it doesn't have achievements here, I'll pass until they are added.
I'm just trying to learn, but isn't the game the most important part of the game? If you know that you achieved what you wanted to achieve in a game, isn't that the most important?
Post edited July 23, 2020 by fridgeband
low rated
Dogmaus: That too, sometimes it's just fun to see that, but I prefer knowing how my choices were in accord to the majority or very unusual, or having done something weird in the game that only a few other players ever thought of. Or sometimes doing some achievement hunting like killing the merchant or stuff like that in Crypt of the Necrodancer.
Why someone can be bitter like unsweetened absynth for that...
Besides, when the game Is new it's fair that most people has not completed It yet.
I don't see any bitterness anywhere, just opinion. Technically speaking, if there are achievements that cover, as you say, what the majority of people were doing, or something weird that only a few other players ever thought of, don't all of those achievements, even the ones that are common, as well as the ones that are more rare, still technically all fit inside of what could technically still be called within the normal of what people thought to accomplish? What I'm saying is, if an achievement was coded, written, created for a certain thing in the game, doesn't that make that achievement less special and less rare because of the fact that it was already coded in, within a certain constraint or parameter?

Technically, this means that all achievements will always in essence, in some way, always-ALWAYS be "inside the box"

I have always been more interested in figuring out ways to do things that the game does not expect me to do, rather than something that it is always waiting for me to do.