It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Coming of Age.

Myst III: Exile and Myst IV: Revelation are now available DRM-free, only on GOG.com.
The saga is now complete so check out our Myst Sale with the rest of the series -now fine-tuned for improved Win10 stability, among other things- going for up to -65% off until July 8, 10pm UTC. Goshdarn classics, the lot of them.

Myst III: Exile takes place 10 years after Riven, when an enigmatic man breaks into Atrus' study and steals the Releeshahn book as part of his plan to exact revenge upon the wise explorer's sons.

The final showdown between Atrus and his malicious sons takes center stage in Myst IV: Revelation. We must once again travel to wondrous worlds and conquer brain-twisting puzzles in pursuit of Atrus' scheming offspring. As in the rest of the series, our choices will dramatically change the final outcome of this battle of wits.
eiii: Does the Windows version of [Myst III: Exile] also use ResidualVM?
rampancy: Yes, it does. I know this because I tried to run the game in WINE, thinking it was a patched version of the original EXE; it wasn't -- it was running in the Windows version of Residual VM.
OK, now you’ve given me a good reason not to buy it until I see Linux officially supported.
Post edited July 02, 2018 by vv221
a lot of great classic releases lately, pretty much hit after hit.

Thanks!
low rated
deleted
eiii: Good to know. Thanks! Does the Windows version of the game also use ResidualVM?
rampancy: Yes, it does. I know this because I tried to run the game in WINE, thinking it was a patched version of the original EXE; it wasn't -- it was running in the Windows version of Residual VM. In fact, GOG and Cyan actually partnered with the Residual VM team to use their work in modernizing Myst III.
That's what I thought, thanks for confirmation! And that's exactly why I even more do not understand that the game does not come with official Linux support.
Post edited July 02, 2018 by eiii
There is something broken with the english offline installer on GOG Galaxy for Myst IV Revelation. It wants to download 17 GB. That seems to be caused by the two different installers availlable here on the website, in the library. One seems to be outdated but is still part of the download.
Post edited July 02, 2018 by Silverhawk170485
Kayx291: Now we need only one thing.....we need Pyst.
Darvond: No we don't. Pyst is an unfunny glorified slideshow which is both an insult to the series and to comedy in general. It's the kind of dumb parody that you'd see in a Illuminations Film or Dreamworks.
True, it's unfunny enough to be an insult to comedy. But I would never complain that a satire is an insult to the thing it insults -- that's the point of satire, after all, and I'm sympathetic to the idea of satire. It's just done very, very badly in this case.

Also it's weird to mention Dreamworks in the same breath. Nothing Dreamworks ever did is remotely as bad as Pyst. Their worst and Illumination's worst are more "meh" than "nuke it from orbit" bad, whereas Pyst is just breathtakingly bad.
faroot: True, it's unfunny enough to be an insult to comedy. But I would never complain that a satire is an insult to the thing it insults -- that's the point of satire, after all, and I'm sympathetic to the idea of satire. It's just done very, very badly in this case.

Also it's weird to mention Dreamworks in the same breath. Nothing Dreamworks ever did is remotely as bad as Pyst. Their worst and Illumination's worst are more "meh" than "nuke it from orbit" bad, whereas Pyst is just breathtakingly bad.
To put it in the terms I was thinking, it's how Dreamworks films might have a random pop culture reference that's entirely out of place, to absolutely no benefit (or even detriment) of the story. See in: Shrek 2, all of Shark Tale, and so on. Pyst is largely comprised of things to such a matter, which have aged poorly at best, and at worst no longer make sense. And much like Pyst, Dreamworks and Illumination pictures often contain very juvenile humor.
Maybe this is just an issue with ResidualVM but why aren't the visuals in Myst III Exile full screen? I mean wasn't the whole point of adding widescreen to Myst III to make it so that it worked better on modern screens?
Post edited July 04, 2018 by BenMcLean
Silverhawk170485: There is something broken with the english offline installer on GOG Galaxy for Myst IV Revelation. It wants to download 17 GB. That seems to be caused by the two different installers availlable here on the website, in the library. One seems to be outdated but is still part of the download.
my download is 6.4 G
Silverhawk170485: There is something broken with the english offline installer on GOG Galaxy for Myst IV Revelation. It wants to download 17 GB. That seems to be caused by the two different installers availlable here on the website, in the library. One seems to be outdated but is still part of the download.
ussnorway: my download is 6.4 G
Huh? My Galaxy shows otherwise.
See attached screenshot.
Attachments:
Post edited July 04, 2018 by Silverhawk170485
ussnorway: my download is 6.4 G
Silverhawk170485: Huh? My Galaxy shows otherwise.
See attached screenshot.
the game unpacks to just under 7 G... you could have some extra files for German but I would assume the downloader crashed a few times

1st have a look for a temp folder... if there is anything extra (busted files etc) this is where they will have been tossed
Attachments:
Silverhawk170485: Huh? My Galaxy shows otherwise.
See attached screenshot.
ussnorway: the game unpacks to just under 7 G... you could have some extra files for German but I would assume the downloader crashed a few times

1st have a look for a temp folder... if there is anything extra (busted files etc) this is where they will have been tossed
Yeah, my suspicion is that you also downloaded the 17GB (if you download the englisch offline installer from Galaxy) but only one of the two .exe files was executed to install the game. So the 7GB in your installed game folder might be correct.
If you look on the download page in you library, here in your browser, you realize that the download has two .exe files with almost the same name, so we have two installers for the english version (see the attached picture). Because the second installer in the list is marked as "part 4 of 7" Galaxy thinks that these two installers are one big download and downloads all of the files (first and second installer, see picture). If you switch to other languages on the download page you don't have this. This problem only exists for the english installer.
My problem with this is not the size of the installed game. I have a problem with unecessary downloading a lot of GBs by downloading unecessary files.
Attachments:
Post edited July 05, 2018 by Silverhawk170485
Silverhawk170485: My problem with this is not the size of the installed game. I have a problem with unecessary downloading a lot of GBs by downloading unecessary files.
also just be aware that gog Galaxy mis-reports download and backup sizes so don't take the settings as real unless you test them
Attachments:
Well, Myst IV does work in WINE (tested on 3.5 in Wineskin), even on the same lowly hardware I'm using to play Myst III. The game does stutter a bit, but when you turn down the visual effects and lower the resolution it's very playable.

Just don't disable GLSL or else you'll get photographs that turn up in your image recorder as solid black pictures.
Crosmando: Makes me wonder how Cyan managed to get the rights to it.
Well they did they Peter Gabriel for Uru...