It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome back to the family.

Mafia is now available DRM-free and only on GOG.com.
The action/adventure classic that you really shouldn't refuse, finally returns. Embark on a celebrated open-world thriller and follow Tommy Angelo's rise (or fall, depending on your perspective) to a perilous life of high-stakes crime in 1930s America. The city of Lost Heaven is your playground, as long as you don't let the police catch you in the act, wise guy.

NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: You can: Thanks to the rollback feature of GOG (Galaxy) you can install older versions of a game
This assumes that the CD Version of Riven was available on Galaxy though. Since you say it was, then it may still be possible to play it.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: (unlike e.g. Steam which just forces the latest version on you).
Look here. You can also rollback Steam games, though you may need to jump through a few hoops to do so.
Hooray!

Now give us Mafia II next ;)
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: (unlike e.g. Steam which just forces the latest version on you).
JMich: Look here. You can also rollback Steam games, though you may need to jump through a few hoops to do so.
That's interesting. But I'm not sure if this is called a feature or something which could be "fixed" later by Valve.

JMich: This assumes that the CD Version of Riven was available on Galaxy though. Since you say it was, then it may still be possible to play it.
GOG Galaxy showed me two versions:
- gog-14 - a month ago
- 31853600 - 3 years ago

I just assumed this quite old version being the CD version but I may be wrong. I didn't check it and cannot verify it at the moment (it seems like GOG Galaxy doesn't work at all via RDP).
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: That's interesting. But I'm not sure if this is called a feature or something which could be "fixed" later by Valve.
Already there for more than a few years. Does seem to be intentional, though unsure if actually true.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: I just assumed this quite old version being the CD version but I may be wrong.
A year ago, the Riven version provided by Galaxy was the DVD one. A month or so ago the installer version was also upgraded to the DVD one, which seems to be the one currently available on Galaxy as well.
Either way, no worries.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: I just assumed this quite old version being the CD version but I may be wrong.
JMich: A year ago, the Riven version provided by Galaxy was the DVD one. A month or so ago the installer version was also upgraded to the DVD one, which seems to be the one currently available on Galaxy as well.
I just verified those Riven versions: The three year old version from GOG Galaxy is the same as the current one which is one month old (only changes in metadata).
It's the DVD version while my installer I've downloaded in 2012 is the CD version.

But still: Rollback is a great feature, it just wasn't introduced at the time they've switched to the DVD version (and maybe forgot to update the standalone installers).
high rated
GOG.com: NOTE: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.
NOTED - And thanks for being honest with us ... even with the first description, which some struggled to understand ... most of us knew exactly what you meant ... or should have.

Also thanks for setting up the example structure for reinstating the music or some suitable music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite what some think about artistic aspects and bastardizing the game by editing the music out, and what some think about illegally re-instating the missing music, all those aspects need never apply.

The missing music was never made for the game, it was just chosen like we all choose our music, and the original atmosphere, despite what some think, is not reliant on those exact original tracks, but can also apply to other tracks from that same period in time. Of course, those who know the game of old, have memories tied to specific tracks, but I am guessing many of them probably have the original discs, and there are no legality issues involved with utilizing what they own. I would say the same for the Xbox etc versions, and so if you still have those discs, then just get a copy from elsewhere of the original tracks, as you have already paid for them. If you have lost or sold or worn out your original discs, well more fool you ... take more care in future, if you really care.

As for those of us who don't own the original discs and have never played the game before, guess what?
Yep, you could go to the sales bin at your local music store and grab some golden oldy CD's from the same time period, and using the names GOG or the Game Publisher (2YK) have provided with their dummy files, replace them with OGG converts of your own. You only need suitable music to get the right atmosphere, not specific tracks. There may even be cheap tracks available online. This presumes you don't already have something suitable in your music collection already, but even better if you do. No legality issues for music you legally own.

Nostalgia is good, but History is flexible, just like everything else ... and no two people see it in exactly the same way.

Sometimes I really despair with the way some people misjudge GOG, and this Game is the perfect example of how they went out of their way to please their customers ... unfortunately some can never be pleased.
Post edited October 22, 2017 by Timboli
Ancient-Red-Dragon: What is "the original musical score," though?

Does the "original musical score" include songs like this one that play during the Running Man mission, or not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8z-iE-jPI

..cuz that to play that mission without that song in the background would be an infinitely inferior experience.
No, thats not composed for the game but library music from the 1930s and therefore not included.
low rated
Not relevant anymore. Posted awful rubbish on a rubbish day. So sorry about this.
Post edited November 05, 2017 by Kangi44
high rated
Kangi44: GoG isn't getting a penny anymore from me. Thanks for the Mafia WITHOUT its perfect original music.
Why are you angry at GOG? They had a choice between making the game available without the music, or not making it available at all. They chose the former, and they made it really clear that the music was not included, so that people would know exactly what they were buying.

And if you missed that information and purchased the game, you can ask for a refund. (Or alternatively you can restore the music using the guides that people have provided in the forum. Up to you.)

Seriously, why are you angry at them? Including the music was not an option, so what are you proposing that they should have done?
Kangi44: Blah blah blah ....
Not GOG or anyone are forcing you to buy anything, and they made it perfectly clear what you would be buying if you chose to.

Last I heard, it was a free world.

There is simply nothing in this instance (and nearly all others) to blame GOG for.

So don't try to force your view onto others that are quite happy enough about the situation, if a less than ideal one.

There are things that can be done about the situation (as I and many others have posted about previously in this thread), and they are possible because of GOG caring for their customers. They made the best of a complicated situation.

So you should be thanking GOG, not the opposite.
Kangi44: Thanks for the Mafia WITHOUT its perfect original music.
https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutorial_how_to_restore_the_original_music/page1
Grargar: Well, I guess that's a way to release an old game with licensed content; by having none of it.

Hopefully, any Mafia sequels can be released here before their license expires.
tinyE: I heard #2 was a DRM mess.
Im not sure thats the case, at least the steam version works just fine on my end.
thebream: I played with a keyboard. I never had trouble driving around the city though but that racing car was a different beast.

This reminds me, GRID was also crap to play on a keyboard, I had to buy a controller to be able to play it.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: I guess it's the way how they need to emulate analogue input with the keyboard paired with relative realistic driving behaviour. You just can't keep a constant steering angle using keyboard controls.
That is exactly my thoughts, you lack the precise steering with a keyboard.
So what's so GREAT about the ORIGINAL music.... GOG said the original music was NOT included in the game. I recently purchased MAFIA for the GAME!! I liked THE SABOTEUR so I think I'll like MAFIA also... Now I don;t know if the SABOTEUR has it's original music or not, but it goes along with the period.... Much like all the period games I have bought from GOG.. Like MEDAL OF HONOR Pacific Assault I HAVE absolutely NO PROBLEM with the music, whether it's original or not. It usually fits the mood of the game. Like HITMAN series. (ALL three) and STARFLEET ACADEMY and REBEL GALAXY. All these have great music (original or not) In my estimation, GOG provides EXCELLENT Service and VALUE for it's customers. THANK YOU GOG !!! Many of my OLD TIME pre-pentium favorites STILL exist and are purchaseable, thanks to GOG !!
Shortman1: *snip* ..
Hello, Mr. Demartino. I hope you've taken your meds today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8It3wiFy2Bo

Weeks later and I still can't get the Mafia soundtrack videos out of my Youtube recommends. *sigh*