It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fast-paced and card-based.

Incredibly quick and tactical: Ironclad Tactics Deluxe, the strategy card game from Zachtronics (the guys behind SpaceChem) just joined the DRM-free GOG.com catalogue and is now available for Windows, OS X, and Linux with a weeklong 33% discount.

Construct the strongest deck you can muster from your collection of cards and set out to defeat your opponents at lightning speeds - that’s precisely what Ironclad Tactics is all about. You will be dropped into a steampunk-styled American Civil War setting that features a varied mix of human and machine warriors - all of which can be collected and played as cards in fast-paced combat.

Aspiring tacticians beware: this game is known for a steep difficulty curve, so expect many a frustrating loss - but the more seasoned strategy generals will know this just adds an extra sense of victory to every win.

The Deluxe Edition of the game includes the following bonus content:

-- The Rise of Dmitry - the first add-on campaign for Ironclad Tactics. Explore the backstory of Dmitry, and unlock his fearsome army by completing new missions against new foes.
-- The "Fort Phantom Ridge" gauntlet mission - a six-stage battle set in Dmitry's greatest factory-fort.
-- Blood and Ironclads, the add-on campaign for Ironclad Tactics about the Franco-Prussian war... With ironclads!
-- A high-quality digital artbook with concept art, designs, and commentary from the Zachtronics team.
-- A printable papercraft model of an ironclad that you can print out and assemble.
-- The Ironclad Tactics OST, with music by Evan Le Ny and Farewell to the Woods.
-- A giftable copy of SpaceChem with the SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC for the first week, free until Tuesday, June 30th at 9:59am GMT.

Hop right into Ironclad Tactics Deluxe, an immersive, beautifully crafted card deck strategy, now available DRM-free at GOG.com. The 33% discount lasts one week, until Tuesday, June 30th at 9:59am GMT.

P.S. -- A tip from the experts - you can repair your ironclads. Do it, often.

What does the press say?

“Ironclad Tactics is a streamlined take on deck-building that still manages to offer huge variety in its armies, and beyond all of that has great sound effects when you squish little dudes under hulking behemoths.” -- Rock Paper Shotgun

“Some games throw curve balls. Ironclad Tactics pitches razor-lined orbs of flaming, molten death.” -- US Gamer

“Ironclad Tactics is definitely worth a look for any lover of collectible card style games who’s looking for a fresh system to master.” -- Gaming Trend
Ixamyakxim: err... what the hell happened in here?
We're on the internet.

I'm part of the problem.

Ixamyakxim: Quick question to anyone who has played it - on the release page it mentions "fast paced combat" a few times. Is this just to let us know it's not a drawn out slog? As the game looks like a nice deliberative turnbased game. And I'd rather it not have a turn timer or a mechanic encouraging me to toss out cards as fast as I can click. Anyone know if this is the case? Or again is it just a way to let us know the battles aren't 3 hour grand strategic theatre?
Here you go. You can also google some gameplay videos I guess.
Post edited June 23, 2015 by Fenixp
Grargar:
I remain cautiously optimistic and will wait for a few more impressions but that is a bit of a turn off and sort of what I was afraid of. Implementation could help I suppose but...

I actually had my eye on a game called Bionic Dues and looked into it a bit more when it rolled around again this last sale but that one seemed a bit too hectic in the end too.

Would love impressions once some people start playing this!
Ixamyakxim: Also okay I'll bite... where is the reference to the Virginia battlegrounds?
First screengrab features the lovely Great Dismal Swamp, which is in my home region of Tidewater. And I have to imagine my state features prominently elsewhere in the game, since the former capitol building of the Confederacy stands a few blocks from where I live now. :)
Fenixp: We're on the internet.

I'm part of the problem.

Here you go. You can also google some gameplay videos I guess.
LOL ;)

And you know my go to really is to just ask here despite the fact that I've had very good luck looking up all these newfangled "Let's Plays" - but I always forget they're out there!
Ironclad tactics.... Should i mention i already got a Humble Bundle copy? Hmmm...

Actually seems like a good time to pull it out and play it...
Ixamyakxim: This looks pretty neat, let me check out some comments and details to see what it's like...

err... what the hell happened in here?

Quick question to anyone who has played it - on the release page it mentions "fast paced combat" a few times. Is this just to let us know it's not a drawn out slog? As the game looks like a nice deliberative turnbased game. And I'd rather it not have a turn timer or a mechanic encouraging me to toss out cards as fast as I can click. Anyone know if this is the case? Or again is it just a way to let us know the battles aren't 3 hour grand strategic theatre?
Grargar: Turn-based with turns lasting 5 seconds, apparently.
yeah, everything seems to point towards timed turns. It reminds me of space run in that regard, which was another game that had time pressure as a game mechanic added to it in a way that felt kind of forced and unnatural. But because the game's levels have been designed with this additional time pressure in mind, there's no real going back to allowing the player to pause.

I think my weakness for anything that puts gameplay elements on cards that you can collect will probably make me get this anyway though, despite my dislike of the use of time pressure as a way to increase difficulty in a game that could work without it.
Nice that it came out here with a tempting price. Too bad the dev discounted this pretty deeply on Humble very recently, but I'll definitely pick this up here at some point.

As a side note, I would pick it up here if it were on my schedule on the tune of "very soon", it looks pretty cool.
Looks like a wonderful game! I dig the graphics, from the cards to the comic strips. Although it looks like too simple (read "casual") for my tastes, i'll definitely try it at some point later.
Apparently a good game, just uninteresting to me for various reasons. :)
IAmSinistar: First screengrab features the lovely Great Dismal Swamp, which is in my home region of Tidewater. And I have to imagine my state features prominently elsewhere in the game, since the former capitol building of the Confederacy stands a few blocks from where I live now. :)
Neato, thanks! I just went back and looked over the screens again and noticed the player embraced that other grand olde Southern bulwark... Krispy Kreme LOL.
grimwerk: Is the deluxe edition DRM-free elsewhere? As far as I can find, all the DLC has only been available on (via) Steam. So the DRM-free label appears relevant.
The Deluxe Edition, which includes the DLCs, was available DRM-free in Humble PC & Android Bundle 12 about 3 months ago. I double checked myself when it came out.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/humble_pc_android_bundle_12/post28

Looking at the Humble Store right now, apparently you can buy the vanilla version of Ironclad there and the DLCs separately.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/ironcladtactics_storefront
grimwerk: Is the deluxe edition DRM-free elsewhere? As far as I can find, all the DLC has only been available on (via) Steam. So the DRM-free label appears relevant.
yyahoo: The Deluxe Edition, which includes the DLCs, was available DRM-free in Humble PC & Android Bundle 12 about 3 months ago. I double checked myself when it came out.

Looking at the Humble Store right now, apparently you can buy the vanilla version of Ironclad there and the DLCs separately.

Yesterday the developer upgraded basic ediitons to deluxe version for free (Steam).
Post edited June 23, 2015 by zeffyr
yyahoo: The Deluxe Edition, which includes the DLCs, was available DRM-free in Humble PC & Android Bundle 12 about 3 months ago. I double checked myself when it came out.

Interesting, thanks!

The vanilla game on humble is DRM-free, but if you follow the links to the DLCs, they are both Steam only.
The recent IGS vanilla was (is) also DRM-free, but the the DLC claims to unlock content via Steam.

Cool that you nailed the whole set DRM-free!

edit:
Given what you've said, I wonder if the recent IGS version could have been mislabeled.
Post edited June 23, 2015 by grimwerk
Ixamyakxim: Neato, thanks! I just went back and looked over the screens again and noticed the player embraced that other grand olde Southern bulwark... Krispy Kreme LOL.
Ha! So they did. It truly is the South. :D
catpower1980: BTW, no "base game" version for poorer people or is the deluxe version obligatory?
The developers gave a free upgrade to the Deluxe Edition yesterday on Steam, which means that for $14.99 (the base game's price), you now get the Deluxe Edition.