It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
richlind33: Yo Chandra, when are you going to tell us how this mess slipped through the cracks?
Another topic on this forum mentions it is "International Day Against DRM".

What a perfect occasion for GOG to explain themselves and openly recommit to DRM-free gaming.
low rated
While I think it's good to bump this thread occasionally to remind people this happened, it remains very unlikely you aren't going to get an official explanation, and Chandra is basically just the messenger anyway and would get fired for posting info the higher-ups don't want her sharing.

My guess is (and I think others have already suggested this idea) it was some shareholders, suits, execs, etc. (people affecting things with a 30 foot pole) who thought Galaxy 2 had taken off well enough to the point where most users would be fine with a game requiring Galaxy for most of its single-player content. $$$
low rated
maybe these shareholders need some more time to realize we are not willing to deal with companies we can't trust, but hopefully some day they will
low rated
rjbuffchix: Another topic on this forum mentions it is "International Day Against DRM".

What a perfect occasion for GOG to explain themselves and openly recommit to DRM-free gaming.
Well afaik Gog's "restructuring" will include "going back to it's roots"....which I would assume would include more DRM free games.
(of course, whether these words are solid or hollow is yet to be seen)
low rated
Maybe the Hitman removal was not significantly influenced by the noise made by the gamers...

16-Dec-2021 FROM theverge.com/2021/12/16/22839181/cyberpunk-2077-cd-projekt-1-85-million-proposed-class-action-settlement

Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt will pay just $1.85 million in proposed class-action settlement
It’s worth noting that this lawsuit (technically, four lawsuits that had been rolled into one) were brought by shareholders who believed they were misled by the company about financial performance, not gamers who purchased the game. Despite the game’s seemingly very decent sales, the company’s reputation has slipped, sales projections have lowered, and its stock price has fallen a reported 54 percent since last year.
Worrying but not surprising the shareholders suit only focused on their own benefit. Or I wonder if there is a hidden clause somewhere on the settlement to benefit the gamers also affected...
low rated
Just goes to show if you try to cheat customers with underhanded tactics, you will begin to lose them. Doesn't happen 'all' the time, but fortunately the GOG community is passionate enough where stuff like this 'is' a problem.

If it ain't DRM-free, don't sell it on GOG. Period.
low rated
tag+: Worrying but not surprising the shareholders suit only focused on their own benefit. Or I wonder if there is a hidden clause somewhere on the settlement to benefit the gamers also affected...
Gamers who noticed that they were affected got a refund, I think. Doesn't remove the bad taste, but it's probably more than they'd get from a class action.

Games who didn't notice that they were affected get nothing either way (well, they get to keep a bit of a game). If they didn't know to get a refund, they wouldn't know to get a share of the class action payout either.
low rated
octalot: Gamers who noticed that they were affected got a refund, I think. Doesn't remove the bad taste, but it's probably more than they'd get from a class action.

Games who didn't notice that they were affected get nothing either way (well, they get to keep a bit of a game). If they didn't know to get a refund, they wouldn't know to get a share of the class action payout either.
That's true, in class actions, the largest cut always goes to the legal.
My comment was a wishful thinking I guess: Would've been nice the investors showed some empathy (as a fake gesture at least) for their clients and not just for their own benefit. Because if recouping is the topic, they were not going to bankrupcy without this win either. I guess I'll need to tag them as the friendly F-sharks :)
low rated
tfishell: While I think it's good to bump this thread occasionally to remind people this happened, it remains very unlikely you aren't going to get an official explanation, and Chandra is basically just the messenger anyway and would get fired for posting info the higher-ups don't want her sharing.
She can take one for the team and then gog can do it's due diligence when rehiring to avoid any retardera types.
low rated
tag+: the investors showed some empathy
Nice joke, but the rich don't have empathy. They wouldn't become rich otherwise.
low rated
Investors/shareholders are very very likely the reason we have debacles like Hitman Lame of the Year DRMed release; Cyberpunk "My Rewards" DRM (Galaxy client required to access content); Cyberpunk Interactive Map DRM (having to log into a website, also needing to be online presumably!); partnership with Epic Fail store to apparently sell DRMed Epic games through "the new store app in the optional DRM-free client GOG Galaxy 2.0" (or however they word it); bundling GWENT with Thronebreaker, GWENT itself, and the list doesn't even end there.

Users are currently discussing GOG re-committing to DRM-free. The implication is that they at some point had "un-committed" from DRM-free, again, likely imo due to all the "joys" of being a public corporation. That is bad enough, but time will tell if they recommit. As has been pointed out by several users (including myself) it rings hollow when there is locked content in their "own" flagship game, Cyberpunk. Another user brought up the excellent point that until GOG ceases to be partnered with Epic Fail, any "re-commitment" definitely rings hollow.
low rated
deesklo: Nice joke, but the rich don't have empathy. They wouldn't become rich otherwise.
Hi deesklo. Unfortunately, not a joke :)
Today's generalized image of rich people is based on a ruthless abuse of the rest of us.
I like to think/focus on monetary wealth coming from meritocracy, intelligence, responsibility.
Otherwise: What could we aspire to if any money wealth always come from despicable methods?
But yeah, I accept to call me easily a stupid dreamer because it is not easy at all!

Please have happy holidays :)
low rated
deesklo: Nice joke, but the rich don't have empathy. They wouldn't become rich otherwise.
While I understand your point, I would suggest...

... the rich will always see themselves as above "the fray" (the rest of us)...

... but the true problem is when our governments are manipulated to doing solely the bidding of the rich.

And I would caution throwing around "the rich." It's subjective. To a person on the street, you might be "the rich."

Now, to Hitman...

Keep fingers crossed on this game!
low rated
Fingers crossed? Pffft.

It's Christmas Eve, GOG will never mention this again. And incidentally, I have not bought a single game since this release. It was the final straw, GOG is now just an expensive and inferior alternative to Steam or Epic.

I used to buy GOG gift cards for my siblings for Christmas. Now they want (and get) Steam gift cards instead, partially because they have better Linux support, and partially because it's cheaper and there is no real advantage to using GOG anymore.

If you think that GOG will make a public statement about this game, or about recommitting to DRM-free games, you are delusional.

Merry X-mas!
low rated
rjbuffchix: Investors/shareholders are very very likely the reason we have debacles like Hitman Lame of the Year DRMed release; Cyberpunk "My Rewards" DRM (Galaxy client required to access content); Cyberpunk Interactive Map DRM (having to log into a website, also needing to be online presumably!); partnership with Epic Fail store to apparently sell DRMed Epic games through "the new store app in the optional DRM-free client GOG Galaxy 2.0" (or however they word it); bundling GWENT with Thronebreaker, GWENT itself, and the list doesn't even end there.

Users are currently discussing GOG re-committing to DRM-free. The implication is that they at some point had "un-committed" from DRM-free, again, likely imo due to all the "joys" of being a public corporation. That is bad enough, but time will tell if they recommit. As has been pointed out by several users (including myself) it rings hollow when there is locked content in their "own" flagship game, Cyberpunk. Another user brought up the excellent point that until GOG ceases to be partnered with Epic Fail, any "re-commitment" definitely rings hollow.
It's ironic because GOG can never compete with DRM-filled storefronts like Steam and even Epic. By throwing their existing customer-base under the bus, they are risking outright bankruptcy.

Terrible companies deserve to fail, that much is true. But they're going at this the wrong way.