It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
Zrevnur: I am not aware of these particular words having been mentioned. But other words such as "enrich" "compelling" "grow" and "essential" have been mentioned in the context of bringing 'online' to CDPR games. And there is intent to connect this with GOG/Galaxy. See evidence from post https://www.gog.com/forum/general/the_reason_behind_gogs_recent_awful_decisions/post29
BroscienceEngineer: What if instead of envisioning it as some DRM hell, Galaxy is going to increase game subforum visibility and activity? You know, the thing the dead forums need...? That way we don't have to go over to Steam forums to ask questions and discuss games when it should be GOG's forums and community that does that?
You are free to envision it however you like. I can however state clearly that I am against DRM. And its not ein either-or anyway: It would be quite possible to do that community and Galaxy-online stuff without DRM. However that does not appear to be in line with GOGs/CDPs plans.
high rated
dragonslayerxxx: While I'm really grateful Hitman was removed from store, the damage is already done and worm of doubt is here to stay. This is not some minor mistake company made, they actively broken one of their core principles they promised to us and what keeps this store up and running and that's not something that anyone should let slip their mind. I'll be present on GOG as long there is something to be present about- in this case ONLY DRM-FREE games. I don't even want to think about losing this store but in the end GOG has to know it got much more to lose than me. I do hope this will be lesson learned and that things improve in future. I'm sure there are also plenty of GOG staff who care about this as much as we are. I never had problem with support and they were highly obliging. And I simply love this community-it deserves all the praise it can have, first and foremost.
mastyer-kenobi: How did they lie. the company said the following: We will not force companies to decide to never use any online components. It be wrong to order developers to use only Lan connections and direct file management for multiplayer and user-created content. It be wrong to deny competitive games the ability to validate matches or have them on central server hosting. GoG has said it be wrong to order every game that wants to sell GoG that they can never have any subscriber bonuses of any kind. They realize that playing hard-ball absolutes when their competition doesn't do that is not going to be viable. They can compromise by saying it needs to run and run as advertised.

Now Hitman released in a state that was, on paper, perfectly in line with that. The problem is they not only lied about the things locked behind DRM, so much of it was removed and what was remove so important, the game was non-functional in it's original design. But you'd have to dig into the game a little to know that. And GoG's moderation and negotiation can't be expected to know the long history of every game and all potential pitfall. I cant demand "you should have known how the original game worked and played the game before putting it on the store," it be unreasonable. Even if they did play it, 50/50 they actually recognize and understand it.

But as you said, the people here are great, and were willing to explain in detail what the problem is and make clear this was not okay. GoG depends on us to keep this up and stay vigilant, because no human on earth is capable of checking every game that comes out and understanding game design enough to recognize proper DRM. I hope to continue to be able to be part of that, because it's worth doing.
I'm not sure why you brought multiplayer support into discussion when the problem is clearly about SP portion of game being locked behind DRM and their constant marketing as DRM-free store. We're well aware how multiplayer works on GOG's platform. Although I must say that aspect deserves topic of it's own because it's not all sunshine and rainbows. For me; and every other business I'm sure; it's MANDATORY for a game store to do it's research before putting a game available for buying on their site. You don't go to store to buy rotten apples and hear a seller say; oh, sorry, I didn't know they were rotten; now do you? It's their job to check this kind of things. Someone over here posted an apology of theirs when they tried to introduce regional pricing-go and compare that one with this one. You'll see why some forum members don't quite buy it.
high rated
chandra: Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Hm, between my work PC dying and my being offline for the weekend I absolutely lost this latest development, so even if I am late to the party I gotta say I am somewhat relieved that this company still can listen to its customers.

Thanks for removing the DRM-encumbered game from the DRM-free store. It wasn't as fast as it should have been, but at least it was the right choice. A truly DRM-free Hitman would be most welcome here, but the version we got certainly couldn't.

Hopefully IOI will see that there is potential in an actual offline release and adapt the game accordingly. If you can reach that agreement, please do. I am certain you would snag many Steam+Epic customers that did not like being subjected to the encumbrance of DRM in Hitman and would double-dip for an actual DRM-free version on Gog. You would come out on top. That's much better for you than selling a game version that has been sold extensively elsewhere for 5 years and given away for free, don't you think?

And hopefully this recent debacle and resolution has given your management the epiphany that a community that gathered out of love for DRM-free games will oppose DRM.

Please don't let this decision be a fluke but rather a sign of actual change in direction back to Gog's DRM-free roots. We'll be waiting for that improvement in communication in the weeks and months ahead.

Thanks to everyone who was involved in overturning the release of DRMed Hitman, including you and other Gog employees but also every customer who complained and 1-star reviewed that abomination.
kai2: I agree with YongYea...

... if GOG can get IOI to "unlock" the game from its DRM...

... this GOG version would be the BEST version of the game available.

I own it on PS4 and Steam...

... and would much rather have a DRM-free "GOG copy."
I also have Hitman 1 on Steam and Epic (got it free on Epic); and Hitman 2 on Steam.

I think we all would rather have a DRM-FREE copies of games, no matter where we buy them from.

But yes, I'd love to have DRM-FREE copies of...well, everything that has single-player content. Who wouldn't?

And while I'm at it - I'd love for MMO's (like say The Secret World) to later be re-worked to work properly offline (with bot support, re-done content, offline play, etc). I'd love for Online Skirmish modes like COD games to later get offline support and bot support; and also LAN/IP-TCP support too. I'd love for a lot of things like this to happen, to preserve some of these games, their content, their artistry, their skill, their technique, etc etc for us gamers while we're alive and also future gamers who aren't even born and/or grown yet.
MysterD: And while I'm at it - I'd love for MMO's (like say The Secret World) to later be re-worked to work properly offline (with bot support, re-done content, offline play, etc).
God, wouldn't that be amazing. It's almost like a very confused single player RPG anyways.
MysterD: And while I'm at it - I'd love for MMO's (like say The Secret World) to later be re-worked to work properly offline (with bot support, re-done content, offline play, etc). I'd love for Online Skirmish modes like COD games to later get offline support and bot support; and also LAN/IP-TCP support too. I'd love for a lot of things like this to happen, to preserve some of these games, their content, their artistry, their skill, their technique, etc etc for us gamers while we're alive and also future gamers who aren't even born and/or grown yet.
This I don't fully understand. Why play an MMORPG game offline, when there's plenty of other better RPGs that are dedicated solely to single player? I understand that you want to preserve these games, but the experience of playing MMORPGs offline is quite poor. They're usually quite blank when it comes to content in comparison to single player RPGs. They're main strength is the online feature. I'm not talking here of course that MMORPGs are bad games in overall, but they just focus on different things and are not suitable for offline play. It's in their DNA.
Post edited October 12, 2021 by Sarafan
Sarafan: They're usually quite blank when it comes to content in comparison to single player RPGs.
some games are good and have all content. for example Wurm Unlimited is a standalone version of Wurm Online. It has more content than most of games in same genre and can be played online (by using own server or by connecting to other's server) or you can play it offline by yourself. The content is the same.
I play ESO on my own, there's no TES 6 real RPG so ESO Zone quests would do for now.
BTW more people want to solo multiplayer games in recent years. Maybe in few years this question won't be asked anymore.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by djoxyk
MysterD: And while I'm at it - I'd love for MMO's (like say The Secret World) to later be re-worked to work properly offline (with bot support, re-done content, offline play, etc). I'd love for Online Skirmish modes like COD games to later get offline support and bot support; and also LAN/IP-TCP support too. I'd love for a lot of things like this to happen, to preserve some of these games, their content, their artistry, their skill, their technique, etc etc for us gamers while we're alive and also future gamers who aren't even born and/or grown yet.
Sarafan: This I don't fully understand. Why play an MMORPG game offline, when there's plenty of other better RPGs that are dedicated solely to single player? I understand that you want to preserve these games, but the experience of playing MMORPGs offline is quite poor. They're usually quite blank when it comes to content in comparison to single player RPGs. They're main strength is the online feature. I'm not talking here of course that MMORPGs are bad games in overall, but they just focus on different things and are not suitable for offline play. It's in their DNA.
Some MMORPGs have great story and good quests. It's coompletely acceptable for some of them to be played as a singleplayer experience in a pure offline environment. Some, even, have difficulty options that can be adjusted for solo play.

Some examples: TERA, Dragon's Nest, Vindictus.

I used to play those three games solo all the time years ago.
I wish we could get an offline version of those three games, as they're incredible, story and gameplay-wise.
Post edited October 13, 2021 by .Keys
joppo: Hm, between my work PC dying and my being offline for the weekend I absolutely lost this latest development, so even if I am late to the party I gotta say I am somewhat relieved that this company still can listen to its customers.
Did they listen to customers? I'm not sure we have evidence of that, actually. As others have suggested, it seems to me the combination of (deservedly) 1-star reviews in a huge quantity, and wider media attention, is what made the difference in this game being removed. As you're aware, "old-school-minded" users like us have been vociferous with legitimate gripes about other DRM/DRM-like schemes on GOG and not only do they not do anything, they go the opposite direction and put stuff like preloads and cosmetics behind a Galaxy authentication wall.
MysterD: And while I'm at it - I'd love for MMO's (like say The Secret World) to later be re-worked to work properly offline (with bot support, re-done content, offline play, etc).
lolplatypus: God, wouldn't that be amazing. It's almost like a very confused single player RPG anyways.
Exactly. This felt like one of those weird games thrown online....just as DRM and/or to get you to try to play with other players.

I felt like I could mostly go solo and not deal w/ other players, most of the time.

Only time really other players dealt w/ me was when I was in the midst of a fight or they were in the midst of a fight, and you quickly jumped in to help them or they jumped in to help you. Then, everybody pretty much quickly went on their own merry way.
Sarafan: This I don't fully understand. Why play an MMORPG game offline, when there's plenty of other better RPGs that are dedicated solely to single player? I understand that you want to preserve these games, but the experience of playing MMORPGs offline is quite poor. They're usually quite blank when it comes to content in comparison to single player RPGs. They're main strength is the online feature. I'm not talking here of course that MMORPGs are bad games in overall, but they just focus on different things and are not suitable for offline play. It's in their DNA.
.Keys: Some MMORPGs have great story and good quests. It's coompletely acceptable for some of them to be played as a singleplayer experience in a pure offline environment. Some, even, have difficulty options that can be adjusted for solo play.

Some examples: TERA, Dragon's Nest, Vindictus.

I used to play those three games solo all the time years ago.
I wish we could get an offline version of those three games, as they're incredible, story and gameplay-wise.
Exactly this. With great writing, dialogue, voice-acting, and storytelling - TSW to me really fits as one of those games that could be re-worked into an offline game and do well.

Plus, I'd rather play the game work offline and saves go local to my PC, instead of only able to play when I'm online.

Heck, Dragon Quest X finally has an Offline Edition is in the works; hope it comes to USA:
https://www.siliconera.com/dragon-quest-x-offline-version-will-appear-in-february-2022/

Why let all of a game and its assets, art-work, textures, story, work, etc that these dev's did go to waste once the plug gets pulled b/c player numbers died? Why not get them re-worked to work offline?
Post edited October 13, 2021 by MysterD
I fixed it for you :-)

"This I fully understand.
Why play an MMORPG game offline, when there's little fun in griefing NPCs?
I understand that you want to enjoy your online immersion, but the experience
for griefers playing MMORPGs offline is quite poor.
NPCs are usually quite blank when it comes to reacting.
The griefers main strength is taking pleasure from others online enjoyment.
I'm not talking here of course that griefers are bad people in overall,
but they just focus on different things and are not suitable for offline play.
It's in their DNA."

NOT to say you are a griefer either - I just couldnt resist your DNA reference and where it lead my train of thought.

MysterD's POV resonates with me (I prefer bots to randoms) but of course as you say, without (good) human interaction, MMORPGs do lose some appeal.

Mind you, bots dont teabag, although the day someone programs them to is the day I will shoot coffee out my nose laughing (followed by looking through the settings to turn that feature off).
Post edited October 14, 2021 by MacCraigus
MacCraigus: I fixed it for you :-)

"This I fully understand.
Why play an MMORPG game offline, when there's little fun in griefing NPCs?
I understand that you want to enjoy your online immersion, but the experience
for griefers playing MMORPGs offline is quite poor.
NPCs are usually quite blank when it comes to reacting.
The griefers main strength is taking pleasure from others online enjoyment.
I'm not talking here of course that griefers are bad people in overall,
but they just focus on different things and are not suitable for offline play.
It's in their DNA."

NOT to say you are a griefer either - I just couldnt resist your DNA reference and where it lead my train of thought.

MysterD's POV resonates with me (I prefer bots to randoms) but of course as you say, without (good) human interaction, MMORPGs do lose some appeal.

Mind you, bots dont teabag, although the day someone programs them to is the day I will shoot coffee out my nose laughing (followed by looking through the settings to turn that feature off).
I get to take the game & story at my own pace; not worry about trying to schedule when to play with others; don't have to worry about friends being too leveled-up; and don't have to be online.

Yeah, I'll take all of that over dealing w/ other players online.
joppo: Hm, between my work PC dying and my being offline for the weekend I absolutely lost this latest development, so even if I am late to the party I gotta say I am somewhat relieved that this company still can listen to its customers.
rjbuffchix: Did they listen to customers? I'm not sure we have evidence of that, actually. As others have suggested, it seems to me the combination of (deservedly) 1-star reviews in a huge quantity, and wider media attention, is what made the difference in this game being removed. As you're aware, "old-school-minded" users like us have been vociferous with legitimate gripes about other DRM/DRM-like schemes on GOG and not only do they not do anything, they go the opposite direction and put stuff like preloads and cosmetics behind a Galaxy authentication wall.
Most of gog users are not old school and we are in favor of removing hitman from the store.

The problem is that this is not enough. Hitman must return without drm, otherwise all this makes little sense.
rjbuffchix: Did they listen to customers? I'm not sure we have evidence of that, actually. As others have suggested, it seems to me the combination of (deservedly) 1-star reviews in a huge quantity, and wider media attention, is what made the difference in this game being removed. As you're aware, "old-school-minded" users like us have been vociferous with legitimate gripes about other DRM/DRM-like schemes on GOG and not only do they not do anything, they go the opposite direction and put stuff like preloads and cosmetics behind a Galaxy authentication wall.
Ah yes, I guess I didn't really made what I meant clear. It's not so much that they listened to our opinions as written in the forum, but the terrible score we gave the game and the financial losses they were incurring in due to a massive boycott instead.
StrongSoldier: Most of gog users are not old school and we are in favor of removing hitman from the store.

The problem is that this is not enough. Hitman must return without drm, otherwise all this makes little sense.
hitman is not returning, devs arent going to take the extra time to do that.