It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
I'm happy to see GOG taking action on this, though obviously it's a shame the game had to be removed altogether. I very much hope they manage to negotiate a proper DRM-free release with IOI.
high rated
StrongSoldier: I doubt that the game returns to the store. I believe that interactive io's relationship with gog is over.
I hope not, but if that's the direction io interactive wants to follow for their games going onward, then I'd say good riddance.
Well, it took longer than I hoped but thank you for removing it in its current form. I hope it comes back with a much improved offline offering, but the important thing is that the version which had no place on GOG is gone.
high rated
The new PR post doesn't really explain anything, and certainly it is not an example of transparent communication, nor of GOG making amends.

Vital questions remain, such as:

1. Did GOG directly talk with IOI about the DRM that is in the Hitman GOTY game before it was first released on GOG?

2. Did GOG initially give IOI their explicit blessing to release a DRM-infested version on GOG?

3. Why, exactly, did it take weeks for GOG to pull the game?

4. Were GOG and IOI discussing a possible fudge during those weeks between the time when it was released on GOG, and the time when it was pulled from GOG? During that time of discussion (negotiation?), was GOG entertaining the thought to let IOI retain some, but not all, of the DRM in the game?

5. Why does Hitman GOTY's DRM get special treatment via how it is cherrypicked for a situation that GOG will actually do something about, but yet, very incongruently, GOG does nothing about the DRM in other games that it also sells, like Cyberpunk 2077, Absolver, (and for a long time, No Man's Sky...although this was apparently remedied, eventually), etc?

6. How come GOG (sort of) responded to this debacle, but yet completely ignores other debacles from the past which they also caused and which still require an answer from GOG?
high rated
chandra: we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.
I am curious as to how this happened, as GOG is bound to know from recent events that Hitman would not of been well received. Do GOG not check games before they get released here?

But thanks for removing it (finally) and I hope it returns DRM free.
high rated
It was a necessary choice, even if harsh.
Thank you Gog for listening to your community.
chandra: Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Thank you for removing this obviously DRM-infested game. I'm also glad that this actually went well. This is actually a good start. I sincerely thought I would never see the day it happened.

However, I find it extremely sad that it took you 16 full days to "look into it" and do anything about it. How do you justify waiting for so long, when in prominent other cases it was just a matter of HOURS? In my opinion this still looks like you tried to get the game sold as long as possible before removing it.

I also hope to see an official statement on your mistake in this issue and about the future of GOG and its DRM-free stance, and I would also like to see more improvements to other games with obvious DRM on GOG.

Until then I see no necessity to buy from GOG again, no matter how much I approve of this recent (very late) decision to remove Hitman from the store.
chandra: Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog
After two weeks i was hoping for a patch not removal.

chandra: We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release.
What does this mean? is it comming back patched? are we gonna see newer IOI games on here ever again?

chandra: ...will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
You keep your community so much in the dark one would be forgiven for thinking they were troglodytes! The only thing this post communicated was that the game was removed, something which is quite obvious from the store itself and could have been articulated in three words "WE REMOVED HITMAN", everything else was corpo fluff.
StrongSoldier: I doubt that the game returns to the store. I believe that interactive io's relationship with gog is over.
There's still potential for making profit from a proper DRM-free version on GoG.
Obviously can't speak for others, but I'd be willing to even pay the full asking price (59.99, was it?) should HITMAN return to the store, fixed up and everything.

The question is if IOI sees the potential as well and is willing to put in the effort for said proper DRM-free version of HITMAN.
high rated
Thank you GOG for listening to the community and for removing this game. I'll buy from here again! :)
high rated
Victory.

Keep up the pressure on anti DRM games fellow GoGers.
high rated
chandra: Dear Community,

Well. That's a really big surprise that GOG has actually listened. What a sad day and age, when such answer being a surprise.
Maybe you will start looking for other issues plaguing your wonderful store nowadays. ;)
Anyway. Thanks for staying true to your values and promises, GOG.

I might even consider getting Hitman(2016) DRM-Free re-release on GOG, if it will be handled properly.
high rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: The new PR post doesn't really explain anything, and certainly it is not an example of transparent communication, nor of GOG making amends.

Vital questions remain, such as:

1. Did GOG directly talk with IOI about the DRM that is in the Hitman GOTY game before it was first released on GOG?

2. Did GOG initially give IOI their explicit blessing to release a DRM-infested version on GOG?

3. Why, exactly, did it take weeks for GOG to pull the game?

4. Were GOG and IOI discussing a possible fudge during those weeks between the time when it was released on GOG, and the time when it was pulled from GOG? During that time of discussion (negotiation?), was GOG entertaining the thought to let IOI retain some, but not all, of the DRM in the game?

5. Why does Hitman GOTY's DRM get special treatment via how it is cherrypicked for a situation that GOG will actually do something about, but yet, very incongruently, GOG does nothing about the DRM in other games that it also sells, like Cyberpunk 2077, Absolver, (and for a long time, No Man's Sky...although this was apparently remedied, eventually), etc?

6. How come GOG (sort of) responded to this debacle, but yet completely ignores other debacles from the past which they also caused and which still require an answer from GOG?
I get the feeling that pulling the game was the fudge. GOG was caught between unhappy customers and Bad PR, and a contract with IOI to sell the game. I doubt they could have legally just pulled it without negotiating some kind of deal with IOI. So that's probably what took so long.
high rated
As much I would have preferred for the game to be completely offline, without needing internet and server access for its ingame functions (SP online, really?), if this can't happen due to IO being either greedy, lazy, or preaching the live service BS which is slowly killing SP games, I say good riddance.

Now let's hope that GOG will not pull another BS similar to this one again.
low rated
Nvm
Post edited October 08, 2021 by Elmofongo