It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
MysterD: Looks like Eurogamer has picked-up on the whole Hitman 1: GOTY - GOG Version saga:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-25-hitman-gog-release-sparks-drm-row-review-bombing-accusation
People in the comments are debating about whether this is DRM or not. :D
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Grargar
MysterD: Looks like Eurogamer has picked-up on the whole Hitman 1: GOTY - GOG Version saga:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-25-hitman-gog-release-sparks-drm-row-review-bombing-accusation
Grargar: People in the comments are debating about whether this is DRM or not. :D
Pretty normal unfortunately, even here threads about protesting DRM devolve into wars between users about the definition of what DRM is leading to people on the same side of the issue going after each other leaving GOG relatively unharmed.
high rated
loki1985: anyone remember fckdrm?
It has been replaced by FCK YEAH DRM!
high rated
Best thing GOG can do.,.

Remove this DRM Infected Game ASAP and say "Sorry, we will not do that again" .. otherwise i not gonna Trust GOG for releases anymore...
high rated
MysterD: DRM-FREE to me is when a game doesn't have any garbage required to play/run. I can be offline, install the game-files offline, and go. This means no typical DRM junk (Tage Securom, Denuvo) and no client-app stuff (UPlay, Steam, Galaxy); no phone home crap when I finish a chapter (hey, Might and Magic X, I'm looking at you here); and none of that stuff is required for the content to work. The game should just work, once I have the game-files and installed the game. THE END. PERIOD.
Well said. The entire point of DRM-Free games isn't to sit around arguing over what is "technically DRM" or not. People generally want DRM-Free builds for a less bullsh*t experience vs using the DRM'd ones, not the same (or more) restrictions with a different coat of paint. Online / middleware dependencies or "but it's optional / only cosmetic" lame cop-out excuses are not what people care about. We've seen with Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite, etc, games include not just all DLC but even pre-order exclusives into the base offline installer, there's no excuse for other games not doing the same. GOG need to either have Hitman fixed up properly and re-released, or if Hitman really is that broken by design, just remove it and stop insulting people's intelligence with "The GOG DRM-Free guarantee has 'evolved' from 'single-player games' to 'core single player content'" dumb 'moving the goalposts' word games.
high rated
Grargar: People in the comments are debating about whether this is DRM or not. :D
If I can't access content - then the game is Digitally Managing my RIGHTS. When it manages my rights digitally someway - that's DRM.

I know many like to think of DRM as the disc-check or say client-app stuff - but to me, anything stopping me from using content, that's DRM right there...especially when it has to deal w/ online-required crap to do Single Player stuff.

Doesn't matter if it's classic disc-based DRM (Securom, Tages, etc); online versions of DRM w/ online activation over a server required; client-app required in the background to run the game type of DRM (like Steam, UPlay, Origin, and others use); DLC's don't work when offline for some reason; certain portions of the game only work when online; account-required DRM; etc etc - if it's stopping me b/c of any of these reasons, it's DRM.

So, yes - needing to go online on IOI's servers to access content is DRM.

And this to me is especially the case, when it comes to Single-Player content.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by MysterD
high rated
Not a huge outlet, but still gets the news out there.

https://www.techraptor.net/gaming/news/hitman-game-of-year-edition-gog-review-bomb-underway-due-to-drm-disagreement
Post edited September 25, 2021 by EnforcerSunWoo
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Having already betrayed all their principles, GOG betrays the last and most important of them, the promise that all games sold here are DRM-free, and then proceeds to threaten people who are unhappy with it and say they're "tolerating" their customers. Great job ruining your reputation completely.
mrkgnao: Not really. According to Wayback Machine, the page has never mentioned "DRM-free" since it first appeared online, in 2017.
Thanks for clarification - glad to hear it.
Well apparently GoG's HtmnGOTY DRM fiasco has made it to Eurogamer, so our voices are indeed being heard, hopefully, the resolution will be to nix the DRM from the game!

Dammit, I should have refreshed the page before hastily posting this news, but still, glad to know that at least 2 publications have taken this seriously enough to print!
Post edited September 25, 2021 by TZODnmr2k5
low rated
I'd like to thank the staffer or moderator who shamelessly memoryholed my comment along 100 posts with it.

Certainly, I was about as subtle as a wooden club being swung, yet the read of the phrasing "in the coming weeks" is incredibly poor.

IOI and GOG are presumed to be run by professionals, and while I won't edict a schedule; I feel it'd be an embarrassing wait if we were left hanging for weeks.
Post edited September 25, 2021 by Darvond
Yeshu: They could form a information campaign and establish a healthy contact with GOG staff and have the problem fixed. But no, they just HAVE to scream and shout and prove THEY are the most anti DRM of tem all.
Hey. That is a GREAT idea. I would LOVE to have a healthy CONTACT with GOG. Now please tell me the secret how I could go into a dialogue who absolutely refuses to talk with me because of the past?
It may not be traditional DRM, i.e. checking for ownership of the license.

Needing to create an account, even a false one with multiple burner accounts, to unlock basic functionality, and being forced to remain online just so I can access a good portion of the game on a store that claims we get to own what we buy is a form of control akin to traditional DRM. Sure, it can be bypassed with false accounts, but that goes against what is advertised here.

In the Hokkaido map, you can roleplay as a ninja, among other things. It adds another layer to the game, and even if it's not a curve-ball, it's a welcome change and adds a lot to your sandbox experience. That part is not available to you if you don't progress through the game while being always online. That part is only available if you request access from IOI. Is it DRM? Not in the traditional SecuROM, Denuvo, code-wheel sense, no, but you, the user who's paid for the license still need to request access from IOI even if you've already paid for the license on a store that claims you own what you buy.

Synopsis: it may not be traditional DRM, but it still requires you to register to their servers to release the hostage that is the rest of the game (guns, gadgets, starting locations, outfits, etc, that enhance the game and enable you to roleplay, adding countless hours to what is essentially a very short game).
Post edited September 25, 2021 by TheDudeLebowski
low rated
I DO NOT CONSENT!

oh wait...
low rated
Darvond: I'd like to thank the staffer or moderator who shamelessly memoryholed my comment along 100 posts with it.

Certainly, I was about as subtle as a wooden club being swung, yet the read of the phrasing "in the coming weeks" is incredibly poor.

IOI and GOG are presumed to be run by professionals, and while I won't edict a schedule; I feel it'd be an embarrassing wait if we were left hanging for weeks.
Wait. mods did delete your post (or worse: multiple)? Please tell me that I misunderstood you.