It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
GamezRanker: What about horse armor? ;)
LiefLayer: XD

same stuff, different price
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXd8w2wdz8

I want the cake too!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQrMHuDQ-c

(passion, where did you go?)
Love that cake video (not to say it showing one of my favourite games lol)
MysterD: Looks like Eurogamer has picked-up on the whole Hitman 1: GOTY - GOG Version saga:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-25-hitman-gog-release-sparks-drm-row-review-bombing-accusation
GamezRanker: I was pleasantly surprised....this article isn't too badly written and a number of the comments seem to be siding with DRM free

====

GamezRanker: This article, though, seemed to be pulling it's punches a bit....I wonder why.
(can't be because they're a "GOG affiliate", now can it?)
yeah.

the techraptor one felt a little gross.

"here's this situation. by the way, we're an affiliate. you should buy this game."

it may have read a LITTLE bit better if they'd just left all that out.
low rated
LiefLayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXd8w2wdz8

I want the cake too!!!
#MeThree
(well, as long as it's DRM free cake, that is)

GOG higher ups in 2021(prolly): "we're gonna pretend we never made that"

LiefLayer: (passion, where did you go?)
They still have a passion at GOG....a passion for LOOOOOT!

====

lostwolfe: "here's this situation. by the way, we're an affiliate. you should buy this game."

Plus it was much shorter than a number of the others i've read so far.
As for the bit about being a GOG affiliate: I think by law they might need to mention that
Post edited September 26, 2021 by GamezRanker
high rated
None of this surprises me. Ever since the issues with Devotion I haven't bought a game here - so nearly twelve months now. I used to buy almost a game a week. Since GOG never apologised I'll probably never buy anything here again. Not just that they wouldn't release it (I bought it direct from the devs in the end) but that they specifically said on the help pages that they responded to customers, but they ignored two support requests and many messages on social media, to and to top it off just blocked me on Twitter. The point is, that was the sign for me of how GOG's attitudes had changed, and in turn my championing them since the start - sharing their posts, buying their games and so on - got reversed. The gradual sneaking in of games where you no longer have access to single player offline content, and the push towards Galaxy even for people who hate clients, all adds up. I'm so disappointed in them, but this totally fits their move towards becoming just another store. If they don't even care about the opinions of their most ardent supporters, then we can't expect them to care about some people complaining over them sliding away from DRM-free. Very sad to see how all this is blowing out.
high rated
SOURCE_OF_TRUTH: I would much prefer it if this situation here was discussed in a more civil way.

I have been with GoG a long time, my catalogue of purchases here is endless. I have gifted GoG games to random strangers and received some in return. I love this platform and what it stands for.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Hitman is a brilliant game too, marred by a ridiculous online-drm as-is.

Therefore, as much as I would like to avoid it, I strongly oppose the inclusion of this game in its current state into the GoG store but I also fail to understand how insulting others and the staff makes any sensible contribution here.

Removing the game from the store is one option, an even better outcome would be if this situation finally triggers the implementation of a proper offline mode into the Hitmen experience (all three games). All of this can the stated, including the fact that the game "does not belong here".

But degrading support staff and everyone else is not helping.
Obviously, this is the internet and it is full of hate but that is simply not productive and not helpful.

The people reading these forums and posting replies were certainly not involved in the decision to release this on GoG. They do not deserve your hate.

Releasing this game is was a mistake but mistakes happen and can be rectified.
I would immediately purchase this game if the offline experience was a proper one.
I mean this is not true. Your community team know what is being released, weeks or months in advance. Additionally, a google search brings you the info you need to why Hitman could be an issue. From there, you can pose the question or at least prepare for the incoming backlash. This was seemingly not the case. The game was signed, made to work, marketed and then released. That's a lot of people and departs to go through.

it took nearly 3 days for a statement, only for the statement to include no admission of the problem being of their causing (or indeed choosing) and instead pointed at consumer for 'review bombing' (I assume they was done to try and levy some level sort of finger-pointing t angry users as the bad guy or a complete disconnection from your users and the modern market).

You have to ask yourself how little care is being applied here. Was there no research done into the game? Why was there no preparation for something that would CERTAINLY happen? Why were both communications not only poor but incorrect, causing more problems and anger?

Community management isn't hard if you pay the users you are work with a bare level of respect and have a bare basic interest in what you are doing with and around them.

This 'DRM-Free' release is the result of multiple failures, a fair amount of lack of care and quite possibly a shovel of aggorance. You can't build your house of DRM-FREE (while also being aggressive about it) only to then embrace it and expect no reaction.

Don't harass staff, don't insult them, but absolving those whose job it is to understand their users, what their users want, what you are selling to their users and why your users want it is vital. Just as vital as communications. It;s not just about posting a meme and kicking back.

GOG was built on the back of DRM-Free and preservation. They've done a great job of that, but recent moves have betrayed both of those aspects. Their wording and reasons for both have always pointed the finger else where even when the hand is firmly in the cookie jar. There's a glimmer of hope maybe they'll understand the problems and make moves to fix them. GOG was great, could still be great, could be better, but without some level of self-reflection it's just turning into another storefront with less to offer.

No one here wants GOG to sink. But things like Devotion and Hitman don't happen randomly, there are clearly fundamental issues within leading to these events happening
Post edited September 26, 2021 by Linko64
high rated
Judging by the response this does not look good on GOG.
low rated
SOURCE_OF_TRUTH: I would much prefer it if this situation here was discussed in a more civil way.

I have been with GoG a long time, my catalogue of purchases here is endless. I have gifted GoG games to random strangers and received some in return. I love this platform and what it stands for.

Personally, I am of the opinion that Hitman is a brilliant game too, marred by a ridiculous online-drm as-is.

Therefore, as much as I would like to avoid it, I strongly oppose the inclusion of this game in its current state into the GoG store but I also fail to understand how insulting others and the staff makes any sensible contribution here.

Removing the game from the store is one option, an even better outcome would be if this situation finally triggers the implementation of a proper offline mode into the Hitmen experience (all three games). All of this can the stated, including the fact that the game "does not belong here".

But degrading support staff and everyone else is not helping.
Obviously, this is the internet and it is full of hate but that is simply not productive and not helpful.

The people reading these forums and posting replies were certainly not involved in the decision to release this on GoG. They do not deserve your hate.

Releasing this game is was a mistake but mistakes happen and can be rectified.
I would immediately purchase this game if the offline experience was a proper one.
Linko64: it took nearly 3 days for a statement, only for the statement to include no admission of the problem being of their causing (or indeed choosing) and instead pointed at consumer for 'review bombing' (I assume they was done to try and levy some level sort of finger-pointing t angry users as the bad guy or a complete disconnection from your users and the modern market).

You have to ask yourself how little care is being applied here. Was there no research done into the game? Why was there no preparation for something that would CERTAINLY happen? Why were both communications not only poor but incorrect, causing more problems and anger?
I would like to point out that GOG staff are not glued 24/7 like most forum users and a 3 work days to respond is a reasonable time to give an answer(if you worked at an office you could even consider it as a rather fast response).
high rated
Linko64: it took nearly 3 days for a statement, only for the statement to include no admission of the problem being of their causing (or indeed choosing) and instead pointed at consumer for 'review bombing' (I assume they was done to try and levy some level sort of finger-pointing t angry users as the bad guy or a complete disconnection from your users and the modern market).

Yeshu: I would like to point out that GOG staff are not glued 24/7 like most forum users and a 3 work days to respond is a reasonable time to give an answer(if you worked at an office you could even consider it as a rather fast response).
When you're working in a community and the place is literally on fire with 90% of people angry, you're damn right your job is to be on the forums/socials often. If you do nothing then the damage is done and users become more angry, even more so when the reply take nearly 3 days and has no real statement other than 'don't post bad reviews'.

If it was over the weekend, sure, but midweek as a big release...you're supposed to be prepared
high rated
I was thinking about the irony. The last "GOG core pricnicple" was murdered by the world's greatest assassin, lol.

Somebody probably already made the connection, but 59 pages to check for duplicates are a bit tto much. XD
high rated
my name is supyreor catte: I was hoping this would get picked up by the news. Weird that it wasn't until the "review bombing" post, but I'll take it.
Here in Brazil we have popular saying, "quem não chora, não mama", which means "those who don't cry don't get breast fed".

Brazil has some weird sayings.
samuraigaiden: Here in Brazil we have popular saying, "quem não chora, não mama", which means "those who don't cry don't get breast fed".

Brazil has some weird sayings.
There are a few English equivalents which are pretty weird too. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." is the first to spring to mind.
low rated
Yeshu: I would like to point out that GOG staff are not glued 24/7 like most forum users and a 3 work days to respond is a reasonable time to give an answer(if you worked at an office you could even consider it as a rather fast response).
Linko64: When you're working in a community and the place is literally on fire with 90% of people angry, you're damn right your job is to be on the forums/socials often. If you do nothing then the damage is done and users become more angry, even more so when the reply take nearly 3 days and has no real statement other than 'don't post bad reviews'.

If it was over the weekend, sure, but midweek as a big release...you're supposed to be prepared
Vocal minority =/= "90% of the people angry".
Red Fury: I was thinking about the irony. The last "GOG core pricnicple" was murdered by the world's greatest assassin, lol.

Somebody probably already made the connection, but 59 pages to check for duplicates are a bit tto much. XD
Here you are:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post1024
high rated
Time4Tea: Because it isn't just about this one game, it is about the precedent. This is the logical flaw many people seem to be making. If GOG can get away with pushing the boundaries of 'DRM-free' with this game, then it will open the door to many more similar examples, which combined, may add up to a sizeable amount of revenue for GOG.
Right but that's also my underlying point.

If GOG thinks its better off being a store with DRM included... then LOOOOOOOL.

1. They are way behind the curve, and all the biggest sales have gone to the other stores who have allowed DRM this entire time
2. Since GOG is curated, they will always have fewer purchasing options than Steam. [Why would you want a Steam-like that has 1% of the games available for sale?]
3. Consumers would prefer their games in one place - and that one place is Steam. That will not change.
4. The only niche that GOG occupies is the DRM-free one, so by being DRM-friendly - they've lost whatever customer base they have.

TLDR: If GOG wants to become Steam, they've already lost.
LiefLayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXd8w2wdz8

I want the cake too!!!
GamezRanker: #MeThree
(well, as long as it's DRM free cake, that is)

GamezRanker: GOG higher ups in 2021(prolly): "we're gonna pretend we never made that"

LiefLayer: (passion, where did you go?)
GamezRanker: They still have a passion at GOG....a passion for LOOOOOT!

====

lostwolfe: "here's this situation. by the way, we're an affiliate. you should buy this game."

GamezRanker: Plus it was much shorter than a number of the others i've read so far.
As for the bit about being a GOG affiliate: I think by law they might need to mention that
they have to.

but they could have disabled all the links to the game, etc.