It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Through a sea of secrets.

<span class="bold">Herald: An Interactive Period Drama - Book I &amp; II</span>, a choice-driven adventure set in the 19th century, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

It's no secret that the colonial times were a period of inequality and deep-seated prejudice. But the purpose of the Herald's fateful voyage? Now that's a very well-kept secret, one which Devan, a steward of mixed heritage, will have to uncover by chatting with the passengers and carefully exploring the ship.

<span class="bold">Book I &amp; II</span> form the basis of this branching story. Each Book has its own narrative arc and the two remaining Books will arrive as episodic content at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BmhM1tqTqyc
Post edited February 23, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
Draakbeest: Wispfire dev here!
Let us know what you think! We love to take player feedback into account during the development of Book III and IV.
WildHobgoblin: Hello, and thanks for dropping by!
I was wondering whether you've already started with the development of Book III and IV, or whether you have a rough idea when those can be expected?
From what I understand, the game utilizes a framing device (Devan narrating his story) so am I correct in assuming the "story thus far" will end in a massive cliffhanger/cut off mid-story? Or is it somewhat self-contained? The reason I ask is that it can be a bit disheartening to know that I may have to wait years to learn how the story ends, at which point I've probably forgotten what happened up to this point.

Btw, I checked out your kickstarter page and it seems there was a demo which has subsequently been removed... However, a demo is still available for download elsewhere, but I'm not sure it is meant to be that way? Meaning, I obviously prefer having a demo, but I'm not sure whether it is meant to be available at this point, or if somebody simply forgot to remove the link...
For what it's worth, I did play it, and it increased my interest in the game significantly :)
Hey WildHobGoblin,
Thanks for checking out the demo; I'm glad you liked it!
You're right that's indeed not supposed to be there :) It's very old and not really representative of the final game.

We do intend to release an updated version of that demo (which we also use for trade shows). Right now however, we're fully focused on the release.

Each book of the story focuses on specific characters and their relations, so each does have a self-contained narrative arc. At the end of Book II you should have some big questions answered. That said, at that point the story is ramping up, so I'm afraid you can also expect some significant loose ends. ;)

The story for Book III and IV are already written and we've started production. You can understand that I'm a bit hesitant about making promises for future releases, but I hope to count the time to the next Book in months, not years.

We've also contacted GOG to see if we can change the wording of the announcement to clarify what you're buying when you buy Herald - Book I & II.
DeMignon: ... there is just one little difference unmentioned, yet. ...
thomq: Legally bound? *sigh* People do die, you know, ...
That's why I said "little difference". No need for drama ;-P
Based on the YouTube videos I saw, there was demo of this game released one year ago. Does anyone know if the publisher will ask GOG to add the demo to GOG?
Draakbeest: snip
Thanks for popping in Draakbeest. I am not usually that interested in P&C adventures, but the concept here sounds interesting. I would appreciate it if that demo was available at some point.

By the way, when you ask GOG about the release text, see if they can make your comments orange as well. It's cool!
high rated
Draakbeest: snip
duffymoon: Thanks for popping in Draakbeest. I am not usually that interested in P&C adventures, but the concept here sounds interesting. I would appreciate it if that demo was available at some point.

By the way, when you ask GOG about the release text, see if they can make your comments orange as well. It's cool!
Hah; good advice, I will ask them :P
DeMignon: I do see it your way, there is just one little difference unmentioned, yet. When you buy a season pass, the developer has an obligation to deliver the rest of the game. With a mere announcement of two DLCs, they're not really legally bound to do so. Thus, worst case is being left with an unfinished game.
CharlesGrey: I suppose, but in reality, buying a season pass is no guarantee that you'll ever see the finished game, either. ( Shit happens. Sometimes it may take years to complete, or worst case the dev studio goes down entirely. ) The only difference is, in the case of a season pass ( or kickstarter campaign etc. ) you've already paid for the full game. In this case you're only paying for the content that's finished and available.
Well to me, technically that's just marketing.

The real difference, as I see it, is that in one case someone implies they won't ask for more money later, while in the other case someone declares they will be asking for more money later. The former's implication doesn't limit them from offering additions for more money later. They're selling points simply meant as a story for comforting buyers. Either way, it's costing money.
Post edited February 22, 2017 by thomq
Looks and sounds fairly interesting. Not a fan of episodic release as it may mean a long waiting period for the conclusion of the story (it took three years for Kentucky Route Zero to conclude).

A couple of things that are unclear to me:

- Do both Books I & II take place on the ship? The trailer seems to support this, so if it is indeed the case, the game page is a bit misleading (mentioning events that take place some place ashore); would be better to clearly reflect what goes on in which Books.
- Is it correct to assume that the "interaction" nature consist solely of speaking to other characters, and that there are no puzzles and the likes?

And I'll add my voice to those requesting access to the demo when it gets updated and available.
I am intrigued by the game, but my interest vaned little bit after seeing that it is not complete.
I will wait for a complete story, then I will gladly buy it.
Eh doesn't seem very appealing- I hope it's not some preachy modern social political agenda game. Perhaps I'll give it a look in if someone is doing a play of it on Twitch or something.
HypersomniacLive: Looks and sounds fairly interesting. Not a fan of episodic release as it may mean a long waiting period for the conclusion of the story (it took three years for Kentucky Route Zero to conclude).

- Do both Books I & II take place on the ship? The trailer seems to support this, so if it is indeed the case, the game page is a bit misleading (mentioning events that take place some place ashore); would be better to clearly reflect what goes on in which Books.
- Is it correct to assume that the "interaction" nature consist solely of speaking to other characters, and that there are no puzzles and the likes?

And I'll add my voice to those requesting access to the demo when it gets updated and available.
I totally understand when people put off a purchase until the content is there! Although of course it doesn't help us much ;)

The story is a frame narrative: parts of Book I and II take place on land, though the majority of the story takes place on the eponymous Herald (the ship). Interaction consists of both speaking to other characters and inspecting items. There are some puzzles and in addition to that the choices you make in conversations influence the way the story develops.
You should already be seeing some big effects of your choices in the first two books!

The request for the demo is loud and clear! We'll get on it soon :)
GOG.com: <span class="bold">Book I &amp; II</span> form the basis of the story. The two remaining Books will arrive as purchasable DLC and conclude Devan's journey.
So even when the game is finished, it'll still be three separate purchases? No thanks.
GOG.com: <span class="bold">Book I &amp; II</span> form the basis of the story. The two remaining Books will arrive as purchasable DLC and conclude Devan's journey.
Wishbone: So even when the game is finished, it'll still be three separate purchases? No thanks.
Why is this an issue? You'll still be able to buy everything at once if you'd prefer to do that.
Wurzelkraft: A period drama? Gross!
Impaler26: So is this a drama about the "red sea" or what? o.O
amrit9037: Drama about PMS. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Does Aunt "Flo" make an appearance?... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"The Camping Show" originally known as "A Period Piece"...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x45x0ja
[url=http://marriedwithchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Episode:The_Camping_Show]http://marriedwithchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Episode:The_Camping_Show[/url]
http://www.tv.com/shows/married-with-children/the-camping-show-aka-a-period-piece-28825/
Looks like a beautiful mixed adventure and visual novel game. ^_^
HypersomniacLive: Looks and sounds fairly interesting. Not a fan of episodic release as it may mean a long waiting period for the conclusion of the story (it took three years for Kentucky Route Zero to conclude).

We are still waiting for act 5 of KRZ to come out