It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some quality time with your lovebird.

<span class="bold">Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star</span>, the festive sequel to the beloved bird-dating simulator, is available now DRM-free on GOG.com for Windows, Mac and Linux with a 15% launch discount.

Ah, love. It hits you when you least expect it, carries you up on its tender wings and lets you soar above the mundanities of life, giving you a bird's-eye view of pedestrian struggles. But finding the perfect mate can be tricky, especially while studying away from your nest. At a University where everyone else but you is a bird.

Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star is a unique experience that you would be hard-pressed to pigeonhole under any specific label. As in all things related to the mystical dance called "falling in love", there is adventure to be found here but also reflective thinking and careful observation of human---er bird behavior. This holiday-themed sequel brings new feathered characters to interact with, new stories and an even crispier HD presentation to make your avian-courting a true visual pleasure.

But if you want to hit multiple birds with one stone, be sure to also pluck the <span class="bold">Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star - Collector's Pack</span> DLC which offers the full digital soundtrack, a Holiday Star Dossier digital booklet, The King's Story Book, and a sweet collection of festive wallpapers. Access to this DLC requires Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star.

Romance your avian nest-mate and find your <span class="bold">Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star</span>, now DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last until December 22 4:59 PM GMT.
>>for Windows, Max and Lunix

Go home GOG, you're drunk.
budejovice: ... After a full sale day, this release is sitting at a whopping #73 on the popular list. ...
Hmm, right after the big sale this could even be a bad sign (what, only #73). I wonder why there isn't any review yet on the game page? Usually with good selling games there are reviews soon after.

Anyway I don't mind too that this is released here even if I would never buy it and cannot imagine really that many people will buy it here. In the end I'd rather have a lower threshold and accept more games than to miss out a good one. All I would need are smart filters to only see the games that are interesting to me.
Post edited December 16, 2015 by Trilarion
budejovice: Sometimes I think there's a lot of naysaying just for the sake of naysaying. Seriously guys, it was ONE fucking game that you wanted to play. Thank god for the 1000s of crap games they ALSO rejected.

But no matter my thoughts, the wallets do speak. After a full sale day, this release is sitting at a whopping #73 on the popular list. :)
sethsez: Actually, they're rejected every shmup submitted to them since Raiden III. Mushihimesama is the most notable, but it's far from the only one. And these are companies (not people working out of their garages) working with an actual publisher with a proven track record, with extras all lines up and a willingness to go DRM-free, and they all have previous releases to show that they're not just dicking around.

So no, it's not just one game. Entire genres get shrugged off by GOG.
How do you know that GOG rejects games? Where do you get the info for this? Just curious.
BrokenBull: How do you know that GOG rejects games? Where do you get the info for this? Just curious.
Either forum members ask game devs or devs say it in public so anyone can read. For more info:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_gog_has_passed_on_that_deserve_a_second_chance

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogs_frustrating_acceptance_policies
Everybirdie deserves to try this beast of a game.
Yes, I'm a married man, kids, silver sedan, household pets; I'm your average joe and I'm in love with Hatoful Boyfriend.
BrokenBull: How do you know that GOG rejects games? Where do you get the info for this? Just curious.
PainOfSalvation: Either forum members ask game devs or devs say it in public so anyone can read. For more info:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_gog_has_passed_on_that_deserve_a_second_chance

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gogs_frustrating_acceptance_policies
Wow, thank you very much!
Wishlisted for now, as I still need to play the first one. Hopefully this is a good sequel, as too often a gimmick-based game becomes a stale joke on the second telling. Looks like some promising weirdness in the screenshots though.
I must admit, I'm surprised by how well the game seems to be selling. #26 on the Popular list at the time of writing.
Marioface5: I must admit, I'm surprised by how well the game seems to be selling. #26 on the Popular list at the time of writing.
Maybe because it received little reddit hugs. ;P
It's so high on the list because PUDDING!!!! :P
sethsez: Actually, they're rejected every shmup submitted
budejovice: Then buy your shmups somewhere else like I buy my visual novels somewhere else. I have never hijacked the forum for 2 or 3 weeks because Loren isn't here.
Posting in two threads about the issues isn't hijacking the forums, and these are games GOG is actively turning away, not just games we would like to see but have no idea if the publisher cares or not. Just because you don't care doesn't mean nobody else should, and sometimes raising a stink actually gets things changed.
IAmSinistar: Wishlisted for now, as I still need to play the first one. Hopefully this is a good sequel, as too often a gimmick-based game becomes a stale joke on the second telling. Looks like some promising weirdness in the screenshots though.
Yep, better play the first one before starting this, Holiday Star has MAJOR spoilers concerning the first.

Holiday Star has A LOT of content (I'm not through with it yet, I have only finished 3 of the 4 main stories, so I cannot write a complete review) but it is mostly fan service to the first part. Albeit not bad fan service.
I'd say the creators have understood what people liked about the first part and tried to give more of that.
And they succeeded with that at least in the first two of the four main stories of Holiday Star IMO.
The third... well, they tried to go with new weird in there but it just doesn't have the same creepy vibe for me. A good story nevertheless.

What irks me about Holiday Star is that you have much less choices than in the first part. It is much more like just reading a novel. *click* Next page *click* next page. I really would have liked more choices. :-(

That said, good writing (IMO), nice design (story 3 was really pretty, and I'm looking forward to story 4), it's still funny, it's still creepy (at last in the first two stories), lots of extras...
So yeah, I hope I get around to story 4 during the next days, and then I'll have a look at the mini stories as well. (There are four main and a couple of mini stories, and there is a school radio thing.)

And I agree, which what was said in this thread: If you look at the sales numbers of the first game, Hatoful Boyfriend is not a niche game, especially compared to many indie games that "feel" more mainstream but aren't if you look at the sales numbers.
Post edited December 17, 2015 by Piranjade
Piranjade: snip
Thanks for the useful info! Glad to hear that it's a good game on its own, and I will certainly play the first game before this one. Probably will hold off on even purchasing this one until then, so that I can be sure to do it correctly. :)

Cheer!
Piranjade: What irks me about Holiday Star is that you have much less choices than in the first part. It is much more like just reading a novel. *click* Next page *click* next page. I really would have liked more choices. :-(
OK, that would irk me too. Even in the old day "choose your own adventure books", I was irritated by the "turn to page..." or even the "if you do 'x' turn to page... otherwise turn to page 'y'..."

I have seen some other Choose Your Own Adventure novels these days offer a bit more depth by offering more than one or two choices on a page.

Hopefully things will improve as you progress.