It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Deep space 6.

<span class="bold">Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander</span>, a compelling strategy/RPG with lots of space for base building, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com, with a 15% launch discount.

Ever been to Halcyon 6? That's where a decommissioned starbase stands looming over the borders of Terran space, left behind by an enigmatic precursor race. An army of aliens is about to make its move against Earth, and Halcyon 6 will become our last hope of defense. Provided that you can upgrade, reinforce it, and bring it back in full working order, Commander.

Halcyon 6 lets you tap into the base's hidden potential by rebuilding and equipping its facilities, then manning them with the most talented crew in the galaxy. The surrounding star clusters are begging to be explored but only venture there if you're ready to tackle the turn-based challenges either with your spaceship or your crew. Perhaps the situation can be peacefully resolved through diplomacy? Or your new alien allies can offer their assistance, if you ask them nicely.

Restore <span class="bold">Halcyon 6</span> to its former glory before you go seeking new challenges in nearby stars, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 15% launch discount will last until September 20, 12:59 PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UqGN_8mq2U4
Post edited September 13, 2016 by maladr0Id
IAmSinistar: Played some more last night, and finally lost some officers in a major battle which I just barely won, my flagship on the edge of going critical. I have the say the play balance in this game so far is spot-on. And there are a good number of things to do, which keeps the variety going. It also has that "one more mission" addictive factor that keeps you from stopping at a reasonable hour of the night (or morning). :)

Working my way towards the Tier 2 fleet, which I gather is when things will change up and get really rough for me again. Looking forward to it!
Hmm did you get this one spore column to spawn yet in addition to the gates?
IAmSinistar: Played some more last night, and finally lost some officers in a major battle which I just barely won, my flagship on the edge of going critical. I have the say the play balance in this game so far is spot-on. And there are a good number of things to do, which keeps the variety going. It also has that "one more mission" addictive factor that keeps you from stopping at a reasonable hour of the night (or morning). :)

Working my way towards the Tier 2 fleet, which I gather is when things will change up and get really rough for me again. Looking forward to it!
JudasIscariot: Hmm did you get this one spore column to spawn yet in addition to the gates?
That doesn't seem to happen till you start building Tier 2 ships (though apparently it's not supposed to happen till you have visited Earth)

I'm just at that point on my third run through.. trying desperately not to lose too many colonies before I stem the flow.

My one complaint so far would probably be having some more synergy between the ships. Right now it seems the only way to build a fleet is to use 1 of each type of ship and that the secondary versions work best with the other secondary versions and don't mix well.
It would be nice to be able to mix up the fleets more, but the powers just don't add up if you do..

The ability to get ships and officers quicker would be nice, I could really do with three fleets where I am now but can only just manage to field two...

An absolutely great game though, and the data is all in LUA files so I may take a crack at modding it if I get bored or too annoyed with the way some things work.
JudasIscariot: Hmm did you get this one spore column to spawn yet in addition to the gates?
adaliabooks: That doesn't seem to happen till you start building Tier 2 ships (though apparently it's not supposed to happen till you have visited Earth)

I'm just at that point on my third run through.. trying desperately not to lose too many colonies before I stem the flow.

My one complaint so far would probably be having some more synergy between the ships. Right now it seems the only way to build a fleet is to use 1 of each type of ship and that the secondary versions work best with the other secondary versions and don't mix well.
It would be nice to be able to mix up the fleets more, but the powers just don't add up if you do..

The ability to get ships and officers quicker would be nice, I could really do with three fleets where I am now but can only just manage to field two...

An absolutely great game though, and the data is all in LUA files so I may take a crack at modding it if I get bored or too annoyed with the way some things work.
The developers do have a roadplan for future updates :)

An excerpt:

In the next couple weeks, we'll be addressing some of the most requested Quality of Life fixes. There's a whole bunch of stuff on the list, but most notably:
- We will introduce an improved resource collection process in the early game
- You'll be able to scrap rooms (in some fashion) so you won't run out of expansion space
- You'll be able to cancel activities in progress, like ships being built (with some amount of resource loss that we'll figure out soon)
- A bunch of other cool stuff!

Just a little further out on the horizon, we're planning a properly interesting content and feature update. Along with some of our Kickstarter promises, this is the update where we'll tackle one of the chief complaints we've heard about Halcyon 6: combat can feel a little boring or repetitive. We've heard you, and we've already hammering away at changes that will still ring true with the spirit of the game, but hopefully add a bit more intrigue and decision making to combat.

<end excerpt>
JudasIscariot: The developers do have a roadplan for future updates :)

An excerpt:

In the next couple weeks, we'll be addressing some of the most requested Quality of Life fixes. There's a whole bunch of stuff on the list, but most notably:
- We will introduce an improved resource collection process in the early game
- You'll be able to scrap rooms (in some fashion) so you won't run out of expansion space
- You'll be able to cancel activities in progress, like ships being built (with some amount of resource loss that we'll figure out soon)
- A bunch of other cool stuff!

Just a little further out on the horizon, we're planning a properly interesting content and feature update. Along with some of our Kickstarter promises, this is the update where we'll tackle one of the chief complaints we've heard about Halcyon 6: combat can feel a little boring or repetitive. We've heard you, and we've already hammering away at changes that will still ring true with the spirit of the game, but hopefully add a bit more intrigue and decision making to combat.

<end excerpt>
Nice!
I knew they were adding a lot of stuff in (the KS stuff) but it's nice to know they are still improving the base experience. Those are all things that I had thought it needed (particularly scrapping rooms, so you can replace old generators with new ones).

I shall look forward to any updates.
No, just the regular portals opening, guarded by mostly Elder version of what I assume are first-tier enemy vessels. I still have the "Upgrade The Fleet" quest active, so I presume the game is waiting on me to finish that.

JudasIscariot: The developers do have a roadplan for future updates :)
Excellent! They sound like useful improvements. The idea of repurposing station space makes a lot of sense. For example, one could tear out old reactors and put in the more powerful ones from later generations.
So far the game does not dissapoint!
I have had little time to play so far. I do have a tier 2 fleet and just visited New Terra. The game was pretty easy for the most part, but I guess I had some advantage, because I watched all those Let's Play videos. I think it is still very easy compared to the games it took inspiration from, Ur Quan Masters (Star control 2) and XCOM.
The game slowed down a fair bit. I did the timed missions right away and soon-ish ran out of missions for a brief moment. I think I closed three portals, besides New Terra. If you try to do the urgent stuff, mostly the portals, right away you won't have any stress.
I also have no issue with space, all lvl4 and some lvl 7 rooms explored and plenty of room left. The only additional reactor I built was the biggest one, providing 50 energy, and that is enough so far.

What I find annoying is the resource gathering. I guess I also had bad luck with the distribution of the resource planets, most are far away. It is annoying to move a fleet from planet to planet all the time. A little hint: if you want a resource boost, visit the alien home planets.

Besides the slow down in the number of missions the game is rather nice. This slow down makes me fear that it will end soon and I hope that is not the case. I am building a special lab now, looking foward to it.
hollunder: What I find annoying is the resource gathering. I guess I also had bad luck with the distribution of the resource planets, most are far away. It is annoying to move a fleet from planet to planet all the time. A little hint: if you want a resource boost, visit the alien home planets.

Besides the slow down in the number of missions the game is rather nice. This slow down makes me fear that it will end soon and I hope that is not the case. I am building a special lab now, looking foward to it.
Lol, nowhere close. You're only still near the end of Act 1. You do get automated resource collection in Act 2 so don't worry about it.

Heh, it's gonna ramp up very soon. Trust me.
hollunder: What I find annoying is the resource gathering. I guess I also had bad luck with the distribution of the resource planets, most are far away. It is annoying to move a fleet from planet to planet all the time. A little hint: if you want a resource boost, visit the alien home planets.

cw8: Lol, nowhere close. You're only still near the end of Act 1. You do get automated resource collection in Act 2 so don't worry about it.

Heh, it's gonna ramp up very soon. Trust me.
Thanks. It did indeed pick up. I even lost one planet due to a bug that is fixed now (it had ~15 days left).
I played a little further but got stuck in Stardew Valley the last couple of days :)
I think I am very close to the end of act 1 by now. I wonder what will change in act 2.
The game keeps getting better!

I just solved it last week or so but today had an update notification. Some nice quality of life adjustments (you can now see on the main map if a system has been upgraded / automated) AND...

... ship equipment! I think I mentioned in a post previously that I'd love to see equipment added in the sequel - I guess with active devs eager to constantly improve their game you don't always have to wait LOL.

I might fire this up for a spin just to see how it plays out. And if anyone was on the fence about this game - don't be it's great.
Ixamyakxim: The game keeps getting better!

I just solved it last week or so but today had an update notification. Some nice quality of life adjustments (you can now see on the main map if a system has been upgraded / automated) AND...

... ship equipment! I think I mentioned in a post previously that I'd love to see equipment added in the sequel - I guess with active devs eager to constantly improve their game you don't always have to wait LOL.

I might fire this up for a spin just to see how it plays out. And if anyone was on the fence about this game - don't be it's great.
Did the faction questlines get beefed up?

I did play the game when it came out, and it was cool but everything about the alien nations felt a little scarce after the first contact and the pirate war. I might give it another dance if the story did get a little boost :)
Kardwill: Did the faction questlines get beefed up?

I did play the game when it came out, and it was cool but everything about the alien nations felt a little scarce after the first contact and the pirate war. I might give it another dance if the story did get a little boost :)
Actually a little. If you occasionally "pop in" on the faction homeworlds they'll usually give you a quest. They're all pretty funny and while it's a bit "light" story wise there is a bit of an overarching narrative to each questline. And you'll learn a little about the different groups.

Sometimes they'll give you random quests as well, but the "story" type ones require you to stop by. There isn't any notification of a quest (though sometimes they ask you to come by their homeworld) but like I said, if you stop by every now and again they'll give them to you.