It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

For all the fans of classic RPGs this title will be like a journey through time.

It took creators many years to develop Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar, but our patience has been more than rewarded. The title features a beautiful 2D hand-drawn artwork, more than 244 maps to explore, and provides the gamers with over 600 hours of play.

Buy Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar on GOG.COM and get a 25% discount until 2nd January 2020, 2 PM UTC.
high rated
FINALLY! Either GOG caved under pressure or someone came to his/her senses at last, eh?
Such a true labour of love, well worth the (excruciatingly long) wait for any Wizardry fan. Don't miss out on it!
As a newly minted fan of wizardry I grabbed it.

Its great fun, if you love that series, you will like this.
its definitely a labor of love and toil that's for sure, despite the controversial nature of the dev, I am glad to see this here.
I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game? Why all the hype around this release? Serious question.
All I see is an average dungeon crawler, yet some go ape shit because of this release. I mean, yeah, the guy worked on this for 20 years, but that can't be all.
Post edited December 12, 2019 by NuffCatnip
NuffCatnip: I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game? Why all the hype around this release? Serious question.
All I see is an average dungeon crawler, yet some go ape shit because of this release. I mean, yeah, the guy worked on this for 20 years, but that can't be all.
I always say there is a reason why people say something isn't finished, even to this day. I've tried the version 2 a couple of times and this review sums up my thoughts: https://techraptor.net/gaming/previews/embracing-your-inner-grognard-with-grimoire-heralds-of-winged-exemplar

I don't need to be a hardcore "grognard" to see that the game is trying very hard to look impressive on paper, but is ultimately unfinished. At one point you need to stop putting more in, and start executing what you already have really well.

Some say limitations makes you more creative (especially in those early days where resources actually were limited) - in 2017/2019 it's inexcusable.
Post edited December 12, 2019 by sanscript
Bought on Steam when it first came out, really good game. Reminds me of the classic I own here and have been playing for 20 years + .

Highly recommend it.
Really not a fan of the dev, but apart from that, is the UI really that clunky and is the jank worse than let's say "Inquisitor" or "Gothic"? I can put up with some jank if the rest is really good, but that's about all I can take.
Also: Does it run in WINE and is there a Linux port planned?
Post edited December 12, 2019 by Klumpen0815
NuffCatnip: I'll join the rest that already asked: Is this a joke game? Why all the hype around this release? Serious question.
sanscript: I always say there is a reason why people say something isn't finished, even to this day. I've tried the version 2 a couple of times and this review sums up my thoughts: https://techraptor.net/gaming/previews/embracing-your-inner-grognard-with-grimoire-heralds-of-winged-exemplar

I don't need to be a hardcore "grognard" to see that the game is trying very hard to look impressive on paper, but is ultimately unfinished. At one point you need to stop putting more in, and start executing what you already have really well.

Some say limitations makes you more creative (especially in those early days where resources actually were limited) - in 2017/2019 it's inexcusable.
Thank you, the review really helped me understanding the buzz around this game!

It's not not for me, that's for sure, but hey, that's okay. :)
Post edited December 13, 2019 by NuffCatnip
jtal604622: Bought on Steam when it first came out, really good game. Reminds me of the classic I own here and have been playing for 20 years + .

Highly recommend it.
Since you have apparently played it, perhaps you could answer at least some of the questions I askked earlier in this topic?

Also, does the game have any option to change a character's class?
fisk0: The developer certainly doesn't seem to be a sympathetic person, but I think that's the rule rather than the exception these days.
MarkoH01: Don't know if calling people on GOG SWJs is the rule as well.

http://archive.vn/d0da3

After I read it (and the mean take on the German language along it) I was sure that I would not buy it even if it would be my favorite game of the year. Don't want to support such persons. I have enough games developed by devs I like and I'd rather give them my money. But that's only my opinion and everybody should decide for him or herself.
dgnfly: ...since some of the past games that were rejected were a lot better than some crap these hippie indie developers are releasing nowadays.
MarkoH01: Thank you for deciding for everybody what's a good and what's a bad game. It is not as if GOG did not reject any games I would like to have here as well - but that does not mean that those were better than the ones they released ... just different and if the released games are good or bad is purely subjective. I might hate what you consider to be a good game and vice versa.

For the record: I only bought Hatred because of the hype and imo it's a very boring and bad game ... and still many think it is a good game and that's perfectly fine.
Say, you put 20+ years into your opus magnum(not many persons out there doing that, correct me if I'm wrong) and bring it to perfection then what your behaviour would be if world doesn't meet your expectations?
*gets popcorn*

sanscript: I always say there is a reason why people say something isn't finished, even to this day. I've tried the version 2 a couple of times and this review sums up my thoughts: https://techraptor.net/gaming/previews/embracing-your-inner-grognard-with-grimoire-heralds-of-winged-exemplar
I'll form my own opinion one day when I get this game. But this review is essentially what I reckoned from all the noise. Thanks for posting.
high rated
jtal604622: Bought on Steam when it first came out, really good game. Reminds me of the classic I own here and have been playing for 20 years + .

Highly recommend it.
dtgreene: Since you have apparently played it, perhaps you could answer at least some of the questions I askked earlier in this topic?

Also, does the game have any option to change a character's class?
Here are the answers to your questions, courtesy of Wolfram_von_Thal:

1. No, your party isn't necessarily permanent. You can always pick up NPCs on the road - they are almost overpowered in the first hours of the game, so it may be a good advice to pick up one or two of them if one finds the game too hard. There is a place where you'll be able to get your own characters back.
2. yes
3. skills improve both by using them and by you distributing skill points to them.
4. In my whole playtime (about 300 hours) my characters aged about two years and it didn't matter. I don't know what happens if they get older, but there are means to rejuvenate them later in the game.
5. As far as I remember: No. Resurrection halfs your character's constitution but it restores over time to normal.
6. In my experience healing is important in the first parts of the game and it's effective enough, later in the game I didn't even bother about it as my party was strong enough to survive every battle.
7. I don't even know if there is a levelcap but realistically you won't get higher than to level 15 in one game. I didn't reach this level with any of my characters as I multiclassed them. Multiclassing is a good idea as it increases your HP and makes your characters more versatile and gives you the possibility to get access to the nifty special classes (Pirate, Assassin and the wonderful Jester).
8. At the beginning it's relatively demanding to survive but with enough knowledge it works pretty well (again: it's a good idea to pick up one of the recruitable NPCs if the game seems to be too hard at the beginning). There are certain enemies in the game that have a very mean attitude and use brutal instakill attacks that can wipe out your entire party - even if this party is on level 10. They are seriously overpowered but can be countered with the right kind of magic. Later on the game can be almost a breeze if you know how everything works. That's how the game rewards your dedication and it's a great feeling if your party grows from a ragtag band of weaklings to a battle hardened veteran adventurers.
9. There are a lot of missing hits going on with inexperienced (and/or tired) characters.
Given the historical delays, I would be more concerned about getting updates on gog.
Post edited December 13, 2019 by qwixter
low rated
pkk234: What's with all the hubbub surrounding this game?
Gekko_Dekko: in short - developer cant accept criticism in any form and his response to some negative feedback in past featured various degrees of over-the-top reaction - from toxic answers to straight up bans, to even attempts to sue people and real life threats (about the latest ones you can see there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihALjBo-PTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsW7vUOkOQU )
Thanks for this. I don't support terrible people.
MarkoH01: Don't know if calling people on GOG SWJs is the rule as well.

http://archive.vn/d0da3

After I read it (and the mean take on the German language along it) I was sure that I would not buy it even if it would be my favorite game of the year. Don't want to support such persons. I have enough games developed by devs I like and I'd rather give them my money. But that's only my opinion and everybody should decide for him or herself.

Thank you for deciding for everybody what's a good and what's a bad game. It is not as if GOG did not reject any games I would like to have here as well - but that does not mean that those were better than the ones they released ... just different and if the released games are good or bad is purely subjective. I might hate what you consider to be a good game and vice versa.

For the record: I only bought Hatred because of the hype and imo it's a very boring and bad game ... and still many think it is a good game and that's perfectly fine.
i_ni: Say, you put 20+ years into your opus magnum(not many persons out there doing that, correct me if I'm wrong) and bring it to perfection then what your behaviour would be if world doesn't meet your expectations?
I might get angry. Yes, it's a pity but it's life. The dev did not die, did he? Some have luck and some don't. He wrote GOG was only 1 store of many so nothing actually happened. Calling people names is NOT the right thing to do and only shows that the guy maybe should start to grow up and calm down.
this looks pretty cool, will wishlist for later