It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

F-16 Fighting Falcon

<span class="bold">Falcon Collection</span>, a retro flight sim anthology, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com - with a 40% launch discount on the Weekend Promo: Retro Mishmash.

Falcon was a game changer. Realism was the name of the game, and Falcon did things that have never been done before. Realistic simulated physics, a detailed, first-person cockpit view, and a ridiculous manual. Starting from Falcon in 1987, through Falcon A.T. and Falcon 3.0 - each release brought us closer to the very real flight experience.
Among the games' goodies, you'll also find a bonus as-is copy of Falcon 4.0, but also the "Art of the Kill" instructional video & PDF - a very real lesson, by a very real F-16 pilot, on how to tame the supersonic arsenal. Simulation mechanics are one thing, the spirit of flight is another - and the foreword says it all:
"Art of the Kill has been designed to teach you the fundamentals of Basic Fighter Maneuvers (BFM). As the name implies, BFM is the cornerstone of tactical fighter aviation. Since its principles are rooted in the laws of physics, geometry and aerodynamics, they are non-negotiable and cannot be finessed."
Badass.

Take to the skies in the extremely realistic <span class="bold">Falcon Collection</span> now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Tolya: I hope this will answer your question: [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_4.0#/media/File:Falcon-4-history.svg]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_4.0#/media/File:Falcon-4-history.svg[/url]
OMG.... I really had no idea...
high rated
Okay, all jokes aside, here is why Falcon 4.0 was added as an as-is bonus.

The last official version before Hasbro disbanded the dev team was 1.08. After the source code leaked though, the community carried the development cycle on and carried the torch. Currently, the Benchmark Sims team is carrying the torch with their excellent BMS - I, being an A10 Warthog fan, am stunned by the amount of work put into all community projects.

Therefore, fixing the old Falcon 4.0 in terms of compatibility would still give you an inferior game. However, in order to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus.
Wait a minute!

This game doesn't have anything to do with either Han Solo or the Kessel Run!

What a bunch of bullshit!!!
Wow this looks pretty cool! How well does it work with an Xbox 360 controller?
justanoldgamer: I normally do not touch anything with CGA graphics but I'm going to make an exception. The description mention a "ridiculous manual" for the first one but it does not seem to be in the goodies on the game page, it's not included?
I remember the box for Falcon 3 weighing a good 2-3kg.

As for Falcon 1, I believe you can put DOSBox in Tandy mode and it'll give you EGA-esque graphics. Not sure if the GOG version has the requisite files for it though. Will test later.
Tolya: Okay, all jokes aside, here is why Falcon 4.0 was added as an as-is bonus.

The last official version before Hasbro disbanded the dev team was 1.08. After the source code leaked though, the community carried the development cycle on and carried the torch. Currently, the Benchmark Sims team is carrying the torch with their excellent BMS - I, being an A10 Warthog fan, am stunned by the amount of work put into all community projects.

Therefore, fixing the old Falcon 4.0 in terms of compatibility would still give you an inferior game. However, in order to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus.
You've got quite a few "inferior" versions on here though already - Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2, Freespace 1, Freespace 2, Descent, Descent 2 - which have been pepped up by source ports and community patches. In some cases you've added stickies to the forums in question linking to them, in others you've actually worked with the community developer and incorporated the patches into the GOG release. Others already make use of community efforts such as DOSBox and ScummVM.

What's different in this case? If there were such serious compatibility issues with vanilla 1.08, why not use the Benchmark Sims version? Licensing issues?
Post edited October 23, 2015 by jamyskis
tinyE: Wait a minute!

This game doesn't have anything to do with either Han Solo or the Kessel Run!

What a bunch of bullshit!!!
To be fair, these games are pre-Millennium, so...
Tolya: Therefore, fixing the old Falcon 4.0 in terms of compatibility would still give you an inferior game. However, in order to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus.
A wise decision and a money saver too because the original retail version is too damn expensive on eBay and the Allied Force version, which is cheaper and more readily available, it does not work with BMS.

jamyskis: I remember the box for Falcon 3 weighing a good 2-3kg.
So Falcon 4.0 did, with the only difference that the game was stored on CD rather than floppies! Good Old Manuals! ;)
Tolya: Okay, all jokes aside, here is why Falcon 4.0 was added as an as-is bonus.

Where do I download this BMS source port?
Wow, an incredible release. Many great memories with the Falcon series!

Hats off to you guys.

Although I own full-blown box version of Falcon 4.0 with manuals and stuff, I've bought digital version immediately, just to support classic, hardcore flight sims on GOG.

Hopefully you'll release Jane's combat sims too one day... Finding Jane's F/A-18 Super Hornet is super hard.
Vythonaut: So Falcon 4.0 did, with the only difference that the game was stored on CD rather than floppies! Good Old Manuals! ;)
Funnily enough, my version of Falcon 4.0 came from a French two-euro shop and was nothing more than the CD in a jewel case - the manual came in a huge PDF file on-disc.

Crosmando: Where do I download this BMS source port?
http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?29-Releases-amp-Updates

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?13273-How-to-install-BMS-4-32-Updates
justanoldgamer: I normally do not touch anything with CGA graphics but I'm going to make an exception. The description mention a "ridiculous manual" for the first one but it does not seem to be in the goodies on the game page, it's not included?
jamyskis: I remember the box for Falcon 3 weighing a good 2-3kg.

As for Falcon 1, I believe you can put DOSBox in Tandy mode and it'll give you EGA-esque graphics. Not sure if the GOG version has the requisite files for it though. Will test later.

jamyskis: You've got quite a few "inferior" versions on here though already - Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2, Freespace 1, Freespace 2, Descent, Descent 2 - which have been pepped up by source ports and community patches. In some cases you've added stickies to the forums in question linking to them, in others you've actually worked with the community developer and incorporated the patches into the GOG release. Others already make use of community efforts such as DOSBox and ScummVM.

What's different in this case? If there were such serious compatibility issues with vanilla 1.08, why not use the Benchmark Sims version? Licensing issues?
Here's an example and another reason why gog might not be doing that with Falcon 4.0: https://www.gog.com/forum/revolt/revolt_temporarily_delisted_on_gogcom/page1

Basically, I don't think gog wants a repeat of that.
Post edited October 23, 2015 by haydenaurion
jamyskis: You've got quite a few "inferior" versions on here though already - Quake, Quake 2, Doom, Doom 2, Freespace 1, Freespace 2, Descent, Descent 2 - which have been pepped up by source ports and community patches.

Falcon BMS isn't just a patch, it's a standalone program with it's own installer. I guess it would be a waste of time and resources for GOG to make the original version work right, when it's only needed to have the 4.0 installed, to be able to install BMS to your system. After the installation of BMS, you can uninstall 4.0 from your PC.
Tolya: Therefore, fixing the old Falcon 4.0 in terms of compatibility would still give you an inferior game. However, in order to install community projects like BMS, you need to show that you have the original game. Hence the decision to include the original Falcon 4.0 as a bonus.
Ah nice to know the thought process and much appreciated thinking about the games (keeping us all legal)

now I am tempted to buy this (bad pilot and all :)