It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brawn, brains, persistent blood stains.

<span class="bold">Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition</span>, the definitive package for the open-world, free-running zombie survival sensation, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with GOG Galaxy support for multiplayer, achievements and leaderboards, and a 17% launch discount.

As the light is dying, so are your chances of survival. A mysterious outbreak has turned a city's population into running, flesh-eating killers who grow severely more aggressive at night. You are also turned into a runner when your mission to retrieve some sensitive documents from the hopelessly infested city of Harran goes awry. Some people speak of a cure, some worship an aloof, self-proclaimed savior, and others fight each other for supplies or territory control. But all of them have one thing in common: they are constantly on the run.

Master the flow of your swift parkour moves and your weapon-wielding skills in order to stay alive. During the day the infected are less energetic, relying on their numbers to gang-up on you before you can scale the nearby building, overrun them with a buggy, or club them to death with your makeshift destructible weapons. But when darkness falls, the tables are turned: your enemies grow stronger, bolder, and terrifyingly more agile while unspeakable horrors crawl out of their daytime hibernation. Don't get followed or you may not live to see daybreak ever again.

Outmaneuver the flesh-eating hordes and escape your nocturnal pursuers before the <span class="bold">Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition</span> wanes completely, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 17% launch discount will last until March 23, 1:59 PM GMT.

The game is not available for purchase in Germany. There are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

Twitch alert

Want to see people desperately running away from the infected hordes? Tune in on Twitch.tv/GOGcom and watch Memoriesin8bit and Outstar's co-op stream this Wednesday, March 16, at 9 PM GMT / 4 PM EST / 22:00 CET / 1 PM PST.
Johny.: There's info in the original post:

The game is not available for purchase in Germany. There are legal restrictions that are beyond our control, and we're very sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm very sad. :(
I think you should edit the OP again, because the game is also not available for purchase in Japan.
moonshineshadow: Before no games were blocked ;-)
JMich: The Witcher 2 was blocked in Australia and The Witcher 2 AU was blocked for the rest of the world. I think I recall a user managing to have both games on his shelf, and they were different entries.
Or does that not count as a blocked game?
Ah yes, forgot about that, since I was considering the games that were blocked for German users when the German website was introduced. Technically you are right.
Very sad news.
I sympathize with German gamers.
Because Japanese PC gamers are faced with so many region block problem, too.
Really sad.

But, Hey. Why couldn't buy Dying Light from Japan?
mchack: Damn, I just now noticed you blocked Dying light for german customers :(

Please, I think the very very best aproach to the whole subject is: CLOSE DOWN THE GERMAN GOG PAGE and be rid of all considerations for german customers. Be an international store that doesn't discriminate customers based on nationality like you were before you started the german page.
Well its too late for that I'm afraid, once GOG crossed that line a long while ago there is no going back. Its the cost of big publishers and AAA games here on GOG. The German and other store fronts are good for business, as is regional pricing.

I think its time to let go of the fantastical belief that GOG is going to change the face of digital distribution and bring about a revolution with their "principles". GOG has made it abundantly clear in previous instances of regional locking of sales for German/Australian customers that they aren't going to question anything the publishers enforce similar to any other distribution store out there.
Ugh. GOG. Techland. x-(
Post edited March 19, 2016 by tfishell
himat: But, Hey. Why couldn't buy Dying Light from Japan?
I guess the Japanese version is supposed to have green blood or some such nonsense.
Post edited March 20, 2016 by tremere110
DanTheKraut: I only said you shouldn't bring up the legal matters nonsense because if GOG would really be affected by the German laws it would be dead for Germany (image a store where 80% of the titles are only available from 23-6 no one would shop there go ask Ubisoft). GOG isn't a German company so you don't need to care about this and if you don't believe me go write directly to the Commission for the Protection of Minors in the Media (KJM http://www.kjm-online.de) and ask them if GOG is affected by the Interstate Treaty on the Protection of Minors in the Media (JMStV). It is not really a surprise but GOG is not affected in any way because GOG is not placed in Germany (I already asked the KJM regarding this the answer can be found in the German subforum here on GOG).

The Protection of Young Persons Act (JuSchG) doesn't count because it is a law which includes only retail copies and no digital stuff. For GOG, Steam and so on the Interstate Treaty on the Protection of Minors in the Media (JMStV) would count if they would be stores in Germany.
DanTheKraut is absolutely correct. As long as GOG or anyone else a) doesn't maintain physical stores in Germany (which would be idiotic anyway) or b) isn't a German company, it is not affected by German jurisdiction and thus safe. It's as simple as that.
Post edited March 20, 2016 by Rise-T
Rise-T: DanTheKraut is absolutely correct. As long as GOG or anyone else a) doesn't maintain physical stores in Germany (which would be idiotic anyway) or b) isn't a German company, it is not affected by German jurisdiction and thus safe. It's as simple as that.
I'm not a lawyer and have no intentions of ever becoming one, but even without specialized knowledge, what you described makes perfect sense when you think about it. GOG as an international store, especially one offering only(?) digital goods, does business with people from literally all over the world. How could they possibly even attempt to keep track of and obey the laws of every single country/state out there? If anything, it's up to the individual customers/citizens to obey their local law, but it's just not practical to expect GOG to know some obscure law from Pusztarovshmokisztan, just because a single dude from there decides to make a purchase here.
CharlesGrey: I'm not a lawyer and have no intentions of ever becoming one, but even without specialized knowledge, what you described makes perfect sense
you're forgetting that law isn't supposed to make sense. it's just a collection of words which change as soon as someone in power, for whatever reason, decides it should be changed.
an american store can also not sell a gun to a german just because he has no store here. i've heard anecdotes which go like "if you sell to someone, you gotta respect the country you're selling the someone resides in to."
CharlesGrey: I'm not a lawyer and have no intentions of ever becoming one, but even without specialized knowledge, what you described makes perfect sense
AlienMind: you're forgetting that law isn't supposed to make sense. it's just a collection of words which change as soon as someone in power, for whatever reason, decides it should be changed.
an american store can also not sell a gun to a german just because he has no store here. i've heard anecdotes which go like "if you sell to someone, you gotta respect the country you're selling the someone resides in to."
As far as I know the firearms regulation laws differ between the various States of the US. In example, I'm not sure if there's any laws prohibiting sale of firearms to non-US citizens -- like, say, a German tourist. But if they wouldn't sell you a gun, that's not because they're obeying German law, but rather their own, local laws.

Exporting firearms via mail is a whole different can of worms, of course, but then you can't really compare physical weapons to digital entertainment goods. And even then, if you tried to import illegal goods, you would be much more likely to get in trouble for it, rather than the store sending you those goods. ( At least as long as said goods aren't illegal in their country of origin. )
AlienMind: you're forgetting that law isn't supposed to make sense. it's just a collection of words which change as soon as someone in power, for whatever reason, decides it should be changed.
CharlesGrey: As far as I know the firearms regulation laws differ between the various States of the US. In example, I'm not sure if there's any laws prohibiting sale of firearms to non-US citizens -- like, say, a German tourist. But if they wouldn't sell you a gun, that's not because they're obeying German law, but rather their own, local laws.

Exporting firearms via mail is a whole different can of worms, of course, but then you can't really compare physical weapons to digital entertainment goods. And even then, if you tried to import illegal goods, you would be much more likely to get in trouble for it, rather than the store sending you those goods. ( At least as long as said goods aren't illegal in their country of origin. )
Sigh, bad allegory, forget the firearms, also I did not say anything about buying one IN AMERICA, but to the country of the actual customer. Back to topic. I can compare physical goods with virtual ones. http://www.bundespruefstelle.de/bpjm/service,did=213560.html means you can't sell a game _to_ _here_ to minors, be it physical on a DVD or as a virtual good via download or if you're delivering from the moon . Period.

Johny.: One thing I can recommend is open wishlist entry for smart age gates (maybe put valuable ideas there), as I can't reveal what we're working on. :)
No. I'm done with this. If you don't want to sell me stuff it's your company's problem.
AlienMind: Sigh, bad allegory, forget the firearms, also I did not say anything about buying one IN AMERICA, but to the country of the actual customer. Back to topic. I can compare physical goods with virtual ones. http://www.bundespruefstelle.de/bpjm/service,did=213560.html means you can't sell a game _to_ _here_ to minors, be it physical on a DVD or as a virtual good via download or if you're delivering from the moon . Period.
Hence why I talked about either scenario in my prior post.

In any case, I checked out the link you provided, and it says nothing at all about non-German media distributors. In fact, I decided to do some digging through that site of my own, and still found nothing, except for this:

"Die Rechtsfolgenseite der Indizierung von Telemedien kann bei Angeboten, deren Anbieter ihren Firmensitz im Ausland haben, regelmäßig nicht durchgesetzt werden. Somit können diese Indizierungen der Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien (BPjM) nur dann die vom Gesetzgeber beabsichtigte Wirkung entfalten, wenn allen, die für Kinder und Jugendliche Verantwortung tragen, ermöglicht wird, mittels Filterung den Zugang zu diesen Angeboten zu verwehren."

... which basically says, "We can't really do Jack about stores/companies/websites located in other countries. If you want to protect yourself and/or your children, please use special filtering software. kthnxbye."
AlienMind: Sigh, bad allegory, forget the firearms, also I did not say anything about buying one IN AMERICA, but to the country of the actual customer.
Guns or anything else: an American seller will sell you anything what isn't prohibited to export by U.S. laws. Even if it's illegal to import for a German. The only one having the problem is the German customer. He is the one who doesn't get his stuff from customs. That's it.

Or in other words: It's (as Germans) our problem to get our stuff. Or the problem of German customs to get the stuff seized.

And technically: We (as Germans) buy it in Poland. And GOG DOES NOT send our copy, WE get it by clicking the button. It's German customs job to prevent it. By shutting down the internet connection.

Thus, GOG does German customs job. And the joke is, the German government does not pay GOG to do their job. They get their job unpaid done.
AlienMind: Sigh, bad allegory, forget the firearms, also I did not say anything about buying one IN AMERICA, but to the country of the actual customer.
Sternitzky: Guns or anything else: an American seller will sell you anything what isn't prohibited to export by U.S. laws. Even if it's illegal to import for a German. The only one having the problem is the German customer. He is the one who doesn't get his stuff from customs. That's it.

Or in other words: It's (as Germans) our problem to get our stuff. Or the problem of German customs to get the stuff seized.

And technically: We (as Germans) buy it in Poland. And GOG DOES NOT send our copy, WE get it by clicking the button. It's German customs job to prevent it. By shutting down the internet connection.

Thus, GOG does German customs job. And the joke is, the German government does not pay GOG to do their job. They get their job unpaid done.
You know what the most ridiculous aspect of all this is? If some kiddo wants to play Wolfenstein, Dying Light or some other blood-drenched slaughter sim, guess what -- they'll just torrent it somewhere.

Once again, legitimate customers get the short end of the stick, as they say.

I also just realized, if you're German, isn't a "pirate" copy basically the only way to obtain the game right now, regardless of your age? Since Steam and Co. simply won't offer it to us, and I bet even the retail version requires Steam. ( Not sure if an imported version would work with a German Steam account. Either way it's a lot of hassle, when you're just trying to buy and play a game. )
Post edited March 20, 2016 by CharlesGrey
CharlesGrey: I also just realized, if you're German, isn't a "pirate" copy basically the only way to obtain the game right now, regardless of your age? Since Steam and Co. simply won't offer it to us, and I bet even the retail version requires Steam. ( Not sure if an imported version would work with a German Steam account. Either way it's a lot of hassle, when you're just trying to buy and play a game. )
As far as I know from an Austrian retail seller, the steam code of the retail version of Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition (including the base game) should be easily activatable. But I already had bought the base game and the DLCs from a key seller. Had I known it, I would have waited for this retail version.

I prefer buying games directly from GOG (and secondly from Steam), but because of this, I have to buy the GOG version by using a key seller. I avoid key sellers the best I can (since I can't evaluate their dubiosity), but in some circumstances it's the only way.