It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The bold and the beautiful.

Dragon's Lair Trilogy is now available DRM-free on GOG.com. It contains both Dragon's Lair games, plus their sci-fi cousin Space Ace.

Even if you've never tried Dragon's Lair or Dragon's Lair: Time Warp before, it's hard to ignore their pop-culture footprint. A pretty straightforward story of a heroic knight braving all sorts of traps to save a princess in distress, made into an arcade legend thanks to the fluid animation, beautiful cartoon visuals, and...erm...challenging QTEs that bankrupted many a wee lad.

Its sci-fi counterpart, Space Ace, stars the intrepid Ace as he tries to grow the hell up and win back the lovely Kimberly. Would be nice if he could also thwart Borf's unsavory plan and save the rest of humanity from being reduced to defenseless infants.

All three games have been remastered and contain sweet extras, like interviews with the creators or insights on how their amazing animation came to be.
tinyE: OH GOD THE MEMORIES!

Standing in line as a kid, waiting to plunk down, what was it $2 (every other game 25 cents), to have at this machine.

The game was little more than a gimmick, but arcades, remember those?, had lines around the block waiting to play this thing.

I can't push 19.99 but on the wishlist she goes. I know I won't be able to resist the nostalgia tractor beam for too long. :P
It's sort of like like the "Drink me" potion isn't it?
Did you ever manage to beat it?
tinyE: OH GOD THE MEMORIES!

Standing in line as a kid, waiting to plunk down, what was it $2 (every other game 25 cents), to have at this machine.

The game was little more than a gimmick, but arcades, remember those?, had lines around the block waiting to play this thing.

I can't push 19.99 but on the wishlist she goes. I know I won't be able to resist the nostalgia tractor beam for too long. :P
Siegor: It's sort of like like the "Drink me" potion isn't it?
Did you ever manage to beat it?
I was too young. I played it once, got shoved out of the way by an older kid, spent the rest of the day playing Front Line.
jbaudrand: what version is this? is it the full HD remastered available on blu ray or is it a pc version? In fact my big question is: is it possible by buying ths version to play the game via Daphne emulator? the only way to do it now is to buy dragon's lair 20th anniversary on DVD (120$ on ebay). And I will be very happy to buy it via GOG....
Exactly the same question I posted earlier and disappointed that GOG haven't clarified.

If you have the Blu-ray version of Dragon's Lair then it is possible to convert this for use with Daphne. I wrote a utility in the same vein as the old dvd2daph that I called dlhd2daph which does this conversion of the Blu-ray remastered HD 4:3 content and creates a frame by frame accurate lair.m2v file for use with Daphne. But you do need your own copy of the Blu-ray to do this.
What a cool release! This would be an instant purchase if there was a linux version...
So on the subject of Laserdisc games, there was also Galaxy Ranger from Sega/Bally Midway ca 1983. You controlled a traditional spaceship sprite in the foreground while the background was (I think) taken from an actual sci-fi movie. The gameplay ofc was as crap as the Dragons Lair and Space Ace games, but the explosions looked fantastic, so there was that at least :)
Post edited July 24, 2018 by EmilJ1_74
Last posts from me about this release:

- keyboard-layout is ARROWKEYS for directions and SPACE for action key. This is documented nowhere and I thought the action key was broken, because I never achieved supercharge-mode in "Space Ace". But it IS possible to play the game only on keyboard with these 5 keys.

- if you use the keyboard, the button overlay in 16:9 aspect ratio is in full force, as useable for mouse control also.

- if you use the gamepad (I used a XBOX360 Microsoft gamepad), the overlay is minimized to ONLY feature the action button, the arrow keys are missing. Why only the action button? No idea. But this way the irritating overlay is as small as possible, while still annoying.
Post edited July 24, 2018 by Anime-BlackWolf
Anime-BlackWolf: You can play all games in 16:9 widescreen OR "pillarboxed 4:3" with a simulated arcade mode (scanlines, arcade cabinet on all 4 sides).
Seems like 4:3 mode would be the best way to play it? The screenshots on the store page look cropped on top to me, although I can't check for certain right now.
Instabought of course. You really are righting all wrongs lately GOG. Next up, White Day, Excelsior: Phase 1+2, Fortune Summoners, and Wars & Warriors: Joan of Arc? :D
Post edited July 25, 2018 by SCPM
high rated
Anime-BlackWolf: You can play all games in 16:9 widescreen OR "pillarboxed 4:3" with a simulated arcade mode (scanlines, arcade cabinet on all 4 sides).
andysheets1975: Seems like 4:3 mode would be the best way to play it? The screenshots on the store page look cropped on top to me, although I can't check for certain right now.
4:3 mode is cropped on all four sides. Not cool :(

Found this screenshot:
https://courtneyhilbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DragonsLair_ArcadeMode.png

And here's an equivalent screen grab from DL HD, with the cropped area darkened:
https://i.imgur.com/IhXcSkv.png
andysheets1975: Seems like 4:3 mode would be the best way to play it? The screenshots on the store page look cropped on top to me, although I can't check for certain right now.
ikantspelwurdz: 4:3 mode is cropped on all four sides. Not cool :(

Found this screenshot:
https://courtneyhilbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DragonsLair_ArcadeMode.png

And here's an equivalent screen grab from DL HD, with the cropped area darkened:
That is distressingly heavy cropping.
GOG.com: The bold and the beautiful.

Dragon's Lair Trilogy is now available DRM-free on GOG.com. It contains both Dragon's Lair games, plus their sci-fi cousin Space Ace.

Even if you've never tried Dragon's Lair or Dragon's Lair: Time Warp before, it's hard to ignore their pop-culture footprint. A pretty straightforward story of a heroic knight braving all sorts of traps to save a princess in distress, made into an arcade legend thanks to the fluid animation, beautiful cartoon visuals, and...erm...challenging QTEs that bankrupted many a wee lad.

Its sci-fi counterpart, Space Ace, stars the intrepid Ace as he tries to grow the hell up and win back the lovely Kimberly. Would be nice if he could also thwart Borf's unsavory plan and save the rest of humanity from being reduced to defenseless infants.

All three games have been remastered and contain sweet extras, like interviews with the creators or insights on how their amazing animation came to be.
The action and pause button overlays need to go. The control panels for arcade cabinets are nice but I don't ever want to use them. I'd rather see nothing there. Oh, well. It's a good thing I own the original DVD releases.
ikantspelwurdz: 4:3 mode is cropped on all four sides. Not cool :(

Found this screenshot:

Oh hell, that's awful. You'd think Don Bluth would have protected these games better. Well, looks like I'll be sticking with my DVDs for now...
high rated
I would really like it if a reviewer would actually review this release instead of jabbering on about how they blasted so many quarters in the early 80's or the "nostalgia is so rich". Yes, we get it. Us older dudes did that too and also feel that way. That does not help wit h THIS release. Can we download it for Daphne if we buy it? Is it better? These are the real questions.
Whatever happened to "Escape from Singe's Castle?" Did that not make the trilogy, or was it renamed?
I was about nine or ten years old when I last played Dragon's Lair in an arcade back in 83/84. I remember my dad and I being wowed by how it looked, compared to other games at the time. Inevitably, neither of us got very far playing it, so it'll be nice to play through the whole game once and for all.

Initially wishlisted, but then got the itch to play and ended up buying,,,