It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ghost in the cell.

Dead Cells is now fully released after its InDev cycle, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% discount until August 13th, 10 PM UTC.
Roguelite? Metroidvania? This is RogueVania: progressive exploration, replayability, and the adrenaline-pumping threat of permadeath; but it's YOUR own ability that matters the most!
Freeze, zap, pierce or fireball your enemies as you expertly swerve around them to reach the next impossible boss.

Graduating from In Development with top marks, the game now brings additions that lore-hunters will greatly appreciate, bug fixes, and significant improvements to the Twitch integration.

Make sure to grab its atmospheric Soundtrack separately.
Good job, IGN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKF6xnvaCsE
Is there any difference between the GoG version and the Steam version? The former has it that the game comes with 3 Bosses and 14 levels, while Steam has it that the game comes with 4 bosses and 13 levels. Which one is it?
RafaelRamus: Is there any difference between the GoG version and the Steam version? The former has it that the game comes with 3 Bosses and 14 levels, while Steam has it that the game comes with 4 bosses and 13 levels. Which one is it?
i doubt about any differences, except gog/steam specific
inc09nito: The game looked immersive...until I saw ???this??? trailer
MadalinStroe: Did you forget to link the trailer?
Well, it's here, in the article
https://www.gog.com/news/release_dead_cells
Called Animated Trailer
How does this compare to Rogue Legacy? Is it a similar style ie if you suck like me you can grind until you're good?
mqstout: No, you need to check. Procedural generation is a type of random generation. I didn't say it was pure random.

But I'm done engaging with you and aggressive strawmen and misconceptions.
joppo: Gotta side with Zoidberg in this matter. I can't confirm that this is how this game was made, but I believe it follows the same idea as Rogue Legacy: the devs hand-crafted several sections (rooms) which are then slapped together by the game's engine as needed to create the current playthrough's map.

And YMMV but with this approach Rogue Legacy's procedural generation didn't kill its fun for me.
Re-reading their answer now I think they mixed up the fact that a new seed is generated randomly at the start of each run then levels are generated on the basis of that seed... but I'm not sure, I think it goes beyond that.

For those intrigued by procedural generation, here's a video from YouTube's Mark Brown explaining Spelunky level procedural generation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqk5Zf0tw3o
I've played the release for a bit up to beating the first 'final' boss to see how it differs from the in Development version.

- Lots of little polishes here and there, such as more hidden and side rooms where the story parts of the game are placed to reward exploring and a new 'shop' character that you unlock who really smooths out the problem of not getting good drops.

- The story additions didn't make much of an impression on me. You´ll definitely be wanting to play the game for the gameplay.

- I beat what I'm assuming is the first 'final' boss in a few hours. What helped a lot was that I had a better idea than before of what weapons to unlock, as being more selective helped ensure better drops over the course of a run and lowered the chances of a rare drop being attached to a terrible weapon. It is definitely not an easy game, but neither am I especially good at these types of games nor did I spent a ton of time on the In Development version. There is still a lot of stuff to explore though, it´s clear that this is not the final ending, so that´s not to say that this is a short game.

A couple of play tips for those having trouble:

- The clockstops while you're in a red or yellow area. Don't worry about taking your time there if you're trying to reach one of the timed gates.

- Speaking of which, timed gates are not essential to getting strong enough to beat the game. You can freely ignore them if you want to play at your own pace.

- Once you get to that part, always pick the revive mutation first. It's the most useful by far and if it gets used you get the mutation slot back for free.

- Don't spread your stats too much. Your highest stat should be the one you're using for the slot you're using to do damage. If a scroll lacks that stat, use it to boost useful skills.

- When you get a new blueprint, prioritise reaching the end of that level over beating the game with that run. Especially when it's a red blueprint.

- Don't unlock the spartan kick. Do unlock weapons that give fast, guaranteed critical hits. Assassin's Dagger, Impaler, Frantic Sword, Infantry Bow and Ice Bow are all good weapons to unlock.

- The bear trap plus ice bow combo can almost shut down bosses and elites and is especially great if you are not that good at keeping up with fast patterns. The bear trap is especially important for this.

- Prioritise getting a second health flask, retaining gold and randomising your starting weapon. Regarding the latter, if you happen to start with a bad weapon you can always restart or get your original sword from the hidden area to the left of where you start the game.
I finally got to try this last night. I think it's pretty fun. Had a really great run, an hour in, then got tripped up by a stage hazard and lost. It seems like unlocking things takes a lot of dead cells, to me at least. The devs knew you were gonna replay a ton to unlock the good stuff
muddysneakers: How does this compare to Rogue Legacy? Is it a similar style ie if you suck like me you can grind until you're good?
Yes, you can unlock stuff to make the game easier, like healing potions and better starting weapons.