It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ghost in the cell.

Dead Cells is now fully released after its InDev cycle, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% discount until August 13th, 10 PM UTC.
Roguelite? Metroidvania? This is RogueVania: progressive exploration, replayability, and the adrenaline-pumping threat of permadeath; but it's YOUR own ability that matters the most!
Freeze, zap, pierce or fireball your enemies as you expertly swerve around them to reach the next impossible boss.

Graduating from In Development with top marks, the game now brings additions that lore-hunters will greatly appreciate, bug fixes, and significant improvements to the Twitch integration.

Make sure to grab its atmospheric Soundtrack separately.
MrFortyFive: This game is beating me to a pulp and I love it.
It transcends time and space!
Linko90: Genuinely one of my favourite games of the year so far. Plays so smooth, so smooth it makes me want to shave my face.
Hello there!
Can I ask for two things?
First: Contact Motion Twin and ask them to add a track from this animated trailer to the soundtrack.
Second: Add (ask them) a version of the soundtrack in lossless (FLAC) format (not only MP3).

Thank you very much in advance!
Post edited August 07, 2018 by Loger13
>Released: May 10, 2017

Was it in-dev or something like that?
Is the game fun?
Can I finish it before We Happy Few will get released (3 days)?
Is there nice pixel art or lazy pixelart?
This is the ONLY game I have ever bought when in-dev.
reative00: >Released: May 10, 2017

Is the game fun?
1. Yes, it was InDev.

2. Yes, a lot of fun. It's a hard game, but NOT unfair; it's one of the smoothest 2D platformers I've ever played -- Motion Twin, the devs, clearly know what they're doing --, it's one of those rare cases that even if controller is "highly recommended", it plays surprisingly great with keyboard and mouse (or even just keyboard), so this should be proof enough of how good the gameplay is.

3. No. If you had months to practice and get better at it, then, sure. But if you're just getting into it now, I highly doubt you can finish it before the release of We Happy Few. Unless you are on vacation, unemployed or can otherwise spend these next 72 hours playing Dead Cells nonstop, with no sleep, it doesn't seem likely you can finish it before the 10th.

4. It's a gorgeous game. I don't exactly know what you mean by "nice vs. lazy" pixel art, but the game is one of the better-looking pixel art games I've played recently. I wouldn't say it looks as good as Owlboy, Iconoclasts or Shovel Knight, but it's definitely up there with Hyper Light Drifter, Super Time Force Ultra, FEZ, Towerfall Ascension, Broforce, or whatever pixel art game you think looks beautiful (to me, those examples I gave all look very good, but I guess this is very subjective). But, like I said, I don't really understand what you mean. Are you talking about the process the dev uses to make the pixel art? Because I have no clue if they painstakingly did it all by hand, à lá Shovel Knight, or if they used some automated process to make things easier on them; all I know is that it looks REALLY good.

[EDIT] regarding point 3, if you're exceptionally good at "souls-likes", which this game is sometimes compared to, in terms of its approach to combat, you might beat it in under three days, but I still think you'd need to play it nonstop for a long number of hours before you finished it.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by groze
Zoidberg: I'll be sure to retrry the game (with a save wipe) on my steam account.

Feel free to GOG Connect us, les gars! ;)

Et félicitations pour la release.
No need to wipe it as there's save slots now.

reative00: >Released: May 10, 2017

Is the game fun?
It was in-development.
Depends on your idea of fun. The core gameplay is very good, very smooth and slick, supported by nice art and sound and the game is great for being played in both short bursts and longer sessions. It's a game that you're really going to want to play for the action, so if that's what you're looking for you'll probably enjoy it.
You can beat the main boss within that time-frame if you're good enough, but it's not a game that you 'finish' the way you do with a more story oriented game. It's a game you can easily dip in and out of whenever you just want to play a good, gameplay focused game, so you can easily put it aside to play something else and come back later.
Nice pixel art.
groze: 3. No. If you had months to practice and get better at it, then, sure. But if you're just getting into it now, I highly doubt you can finish it before the release of We Happy Few. Unless you are on vacation, unemployed or can otherwise spend these next 72 hours playing Dead Cells nonstop, with no sleep, it doesn't seem likely you can finish it before the 10th.

[EDIT] regarding point 3, if you're exceptionally good at "souls-likes", which this game is sometimes compared to, in terms of its approach to combat, you might beat it in under three days, but I still think you'd need to play it nonstop for a long number of hours before you finished it.
It really depends on how well you take to the game's combat. If it suits you, it's hard but beatable in a couple of hours as the game isn't 'long' in terms of having huge levels and tons of bosses. If you're having some trouble, then the steady drip of permanent unlocks you get will help beef up your character to make it easier and enable you to get further.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by Fortuk
Thank you! Well, I'm gonna pick it up and risk starting We Happy Few a few days later.
groze: 3. No. If you had months to practice and get better at it, then, sure. But if you're just getting into it now, I highly doubt you can finish it before the release of We Happy Few. Unless you are on vacation, unemployed or can otherwise spend these next 72 hours playing Dead Cells nonstop, with no sleep, it doesn't seem likely you can finish it before the 10th.

Fortuk: It really depends on how well you take to the game's combat. If it suits you, it's hard but beatable in a couple of hours as the game isn't 'long' in terms of having huge levels and tons of bosses. If you're having some trouble, then the steady drip of permanent unlocks you get will help beef up your character to make it easier and enable you to get further.
True. But considering the genre ("RogueVania"), shouldn't a hefty number of replays be part of the experience? And how many people can play a game for 16 or 17 hours in a row just rinsing and repeating, doing the same thing over and over until they "git gud" enough? It's certainly possible, but it's not something I condone, as it's far from being healthy behaviour -- on a multitude of levels.

Plus, like you said previously, is the game really "over" once you beat the boss? I think we have to be aware that even though Motion Twin did add a hefty amount of lore and story elements to this 1.0 release version, at its core it's still a roguelite, and most people won't exactly play it for the story.
Nice trailer, made me feel like I have seen all I want to from this game, also made me smile.
Please provide clarity for non-Galaxy users:

I get a flag saying the game is updated. The newest link for a patch is still the same 0.9.2 one which I downloaded the last time I got a flag. Is the game on "0.9.2" like the link said or is it actually now at "1.0" and this would mean I have to download the installer itself?

Any clarity is appreciated, thanks!
Not very attracted to that genre of gameplay (especially as such games tend to not be very keyboard-friendly), but the animated trailer is indeed great. In form and content. I love its tone, and I love the fact that it's genuine animation, and not the cheap and easy flash-like "cardboard puppet" kind of animation that has so much invaded videogames (and tv animations) in the last years.

Just for that, I have sympathy and therefore a hint of interest for that game.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by Telika
reative00: Thank you! Well, I'm gonna pick it up and risk starting We Happy Few a few days later.
You're welcome! Hope you enjoy it.

groze: True. But considering the genre ("RogueVania"), shouldn't a hefty number of replays be part of the experience? And how many people can play a game for 16 or 17 hours in a row just rinsing and repeating, doing the same thing over and over until they "git gud" enough? It's certainly possible, but it's not something I condone, as it's far from being healthy behaviour -- on a multitude of levels.

Plus, like you said previously, is the game really "over" once you beat the boss? I think we have to be aware that even though Motion Twin did add a hefty amount of lore and story elements to this 1.0 release version, at its core it's still a roguelite, and most people won't exactly play it for the story.
I'm not suggesting anyone play it for 16 hours straight though? It's an action game more than it is a roguelike or a metroidvania and so is best played in bursts, or at a more relaxed pace if you want to progress steadily. You're playing it to enjoy the gameplay, not to beat it as fast as possible, and your play sessions should reflect that. That's also how I judge its length; if you're good enough you can blaze through the levels, but If you're having trouble you can take your time and build up your character.

rjbuffchix: Please provide clarity for non-Galaxy users:

I get a flag saying the game is updated. The newest link for a patch is still the same 0.9.2 one which I downloaded the last time I got a flag. Is the game on "0.9.2" like the link said or is it actually now at "1.0" and this would mean I have to download the installer itself?

Any clarity is appreciated, thanks!
The full installer gets you to 1.0. It worked for me at least. The patch appears to still be an old one.

Telika: Not very attracted to that genre of gameplay (especially as such games tend to not be very keyboard-friendly), but the animated trailer is indeed great. In form and content. I love its tone, and I love the fact that it's genuine animation, and not the cheap and easy flash-like "cardboard puppet" kind of animation that has so much invaded videogames (and tv animations) in the last years.

Just for that, I have sympathy and therefore a hint of interest for that game.
Just to note, but though the game recommends playing it with a controller, it plays perfectly fine with keyboard and mouse. I prefer playing with keyboard and mouse for this myself, in fact.
Post edited August 07, 2018 by Fortuk
Fortuk: The full installer gets you to 1.0. It worked for me at least. The patch appears to still be an old one.
Thank you!
Fortuk: Just to note, but though the game recommends playing it with a controller, it plays perfectly fine with keyboard and mouse. I prefer playing with keyboard and mouse for this myself, in fact.
Ok, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.