It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Don't fear the reaper. Be the reaper.

<span class="bold">Darksiders</span> and <span class="bold">Darksiders 2</span>, two hack and slashers done right, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com! You can get each title 60% off individually, or together in a 75% off bundle!

In <span class="bold">Darksiders</span>, you take on the role of War. The most brutal of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. You've been tricked into becoming the catalyst of a great war between heaven and hell - the battlefield they chose is Earth. Now it's up to you to hunt down those responsible, and destroy your way through minions of hell and fallen angels alike. <span class="bold">Darksiders 2</span> takes place parallel to the original events. You are the Death himself - fast, agile, lethal. Your brother, War, was framed - and you're out to prove it.
and [url=http://www.gog.com/game/darksiders_ii]Darksiders 2 are fast and brutal. You'll traverse open lands and dungeons defeating wave after wave of enemies, solving puzzles, and becoming the ultimate force of destruction. If that's not enough everything-bashing for you, the <span class="bold">Darksiders 2 - Complete DLC Pack</span> is there to provide a few extra hours of fun.

Become a horseman of the apocalypse in <span class="bold">Darksiders</span> and <span class="bold">Darksiders 2</span>, DRM-free, available now on GOG.com! The launch discounts will last until Monday, May 18 at 12:59 PM GMT.
skinandbones13: It was weird when I started playing when you just got dumped right into the action with no story intro. Then I wondered because its a button masher that I was x-ing out of the cutscenes straight away by accident.
Calvariae: lol, yea. Having played the game before, I was suddenly a little confused where the story went.

skinandbones13: Good (or bad?) to see that I'm not the only one with the problem here on GOG! I have logged an issue with GOG, so hopefully I will hear back about it. Not sure if they ended up patching this. I have feeling it may involve installing a whole bunch of random codecs which I always feel slightly dodgy about. I couldn't see anywhere that mentioned the specific codec it is missing.
Calvariae: Unfortunately, I have my doubts that this is within GOG's ability to fix. From what I've seen the issue arises from having ANY codecs on your computer other than what comes by default with WMP.
I don't really know too much about Windows 8 as I've avoided it like the plague, so I can't really offer any real advice. The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall Windows Media Player, triple check that you don't have any codec packs installed, and then reinstall WMP12.
I'm sure you've probably seen it, but this is the only post I saw with somebody using Windows 8 (and it's not really much help either): http://steamcommunity.com/app/50620/discussions/0/620695877176925285/?insideModal=1

Good luck

I do hate it when a game depends on OS features/software outside of itself; usually just creates more problems than it solves.
Ah I gotcha. Musn't have read far enough into it. I will keep searching and see if I can find more answers somewhere.

I wondered too whether if GOG could resolve it but though it would be good to point it out. It isn't noted as a bug on the support page.

I know what you mean with Windows 8. I built a new computer last year and really wanted to stick with WIndows 7 and pretty much everyone says go with W7 especially with gaming. My girlfriend had W8 on her laptop and it was horrible, although it is a very cheap laptop.

However, I installed it into my new build because in the end the price difference was $100(!) cheaper and that went into the graphics card. I find it is fine, even <gulp> better! I think if you have new components it works great and it actually actually runs very smoothly. It also seems to run very smoothly and isn't constantly updating as much as W7 or coming into conflicts. When it does update, you hardly even notice! This is also WIndows 8.1 which has a proper desktop and you dont need to use that horrible UI. Sorry to sound like a Microsoft salesman!
I highly recommend you pick these games up, there among the best games ever made.
Post edited May 21, 2015 by Avishay
Just as a confirmation, installing Windows Media Player did in fact fix the issue for me.

A semi-related side note, starting with Windows 10 it seems Microsoft is depreciating WMP and will no longer include it by default with the OS. As to whether you will be able to download and install if from their website or the store remains to be seen, but the impression I got was that it was pretty much being abandoned.

I'm guessing that this reliance on codecs may break several games in GOG's catalog; so just something to keep an eye on. Though this post is so far after the fact, I doubt too many people are going to read it.

Edit: It seems that Windows Media Center is the thing that's actually being depreciated. I think WMP will be around for at least a little while; though I think eventually games like Darksiders will break due to missing/depreciated features from the OS.
Post edited June 06, 2015 by Calvariae