It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Compatible with your own tracks & USB dance pad!

<span class="bold">Crypt of the NecroDancer</span>, a musical roguelike dungeon crawler with GOG Galaxy integration for Windows and Mac OS X, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 33% launch discount.

Dance, dance, dance the night away. Dance the evil ghosts and skeletons into loot puree. Crypt of the NecroDancer is one of the weirdest games you will ever play, and not because it’s filled to the brim with sporks and quirky tweens. It's a rhythm-based roguelike that has you matching a song's beat to beat the crap out of baddies. It's a straightforward experience that sounds like one of the most innovative things in gaming, but it's not just a gimmick as underneath the notes and tunes you'll find a full-fledged roguelike with plenty of loot, replayability and challenge. Crypt of the NecroDancer let's you import your own music as well, so can you beat it on Through the Fire and Flames?

Practice at home, at work, or on the bus, with the two bonus soundtracks: the original Danny Baranowsky tracks, and Extended Soundtrack (in two remixed versions, by A_Rival and FamilyJules7X) all available in extreme FLAC, and optimal MP3!

For even more NecroDancer digital-swag, check out the extras pack with a behind-the-scenes Director's Cut video, super-high-res Dance Pad covers, and a bunch of other random stuff.

Got questions for the developers? You’re in luck - Ryan and Heather from Brace Yourself Games will be hanging out on the forums on Monday, August 17th, for a special Q&A session from 8 to 10pm GMT (10pm-12am CEST, 4-6pm EDT, 1-3pm PST) to answer all your pressing questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite cat video of all time.

Unleash your killer dance moves in <span class="bold">Crypt of the NecroDancer</span> with GOG Galaxy support for Achievements and Leaderboards. So dance! Dance the dance of the NecroDancer DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Thursday, August 20, 12:59 PM GMT.
IronArcturus: I don't have Galaxy on my system and the game refuses to run. Here is the log
WINDOW SUCCESSFULLY INITIALIZED
NecroDancer version v1.12 loading...
OnCreate: Initializing Steam
GoG: Initializing galaxy API

So does this mean that Galaxy is required to make the game work on Windows 7? Why was this DRM added?
Your log is the same as the other people reporting this issue, so you'll probably have the exact same problem.

This is no intentional DRM, this is a unwelcome bug that should be debugged by GOG or by the devs. It seems to me that the bug makes the game think you have Galaxy installed when you don't, and crashes when trying to initialize an inexistent Galaxy API. Did you install Galaxy in the past and then uninstall it? Up to now, every system in which CotN crashed had Galaxy installed and then uninstalled. If that's also your case, then probably Galaxy is leaving some trace after being uninstalled that might trigger the bug. This is speculation on my part based on exterior observation, I don't really know what is going on under the code.

This crashing should not happen, and for the majority of players does not happen. I have Windows 7, I don't have Galaxy and I can run CotN flawlessly. And yours should run flawlessly too without Galaxy.

After so many reports I suppose GOG is already working to solve this, but anyway you should submit them a customer service ticket explaining your case: the more info they get, the better. GOG is the one responsible to solve this problem, but if you want a quick fix, installing Galaxy and running CotN through Galaxy once will let you play, as has been reported by everyone with the same problem.
IronArcturus: I don't have Galaxy on my system and the game refuses to run. Here is the log
WINDOW SUCCESSFULLY INITIALIZED
NecroDancer version v1.12 loading...
OnCreate: Initializing Steam
GoG: Initializing galaxy API

So does this mean that Galaxy is required to make the game work on Windows 7? Why was this DRM added?
Hollyhock: Your log is the same as the other people reporting this issue, so you'll probably have the exact same problem.

This is no intentional DRM, this is a unwelcome bug that should be debugged by GOG or by the devs. It seems to me that the bug makes the game think you have Galaxy installed when you don't, and crashes when trying to initialize an inexistent Galaxy API. Did you install Galaxy in the past and then uninstall it? Up to now, every system in which CotN crashed had Galaxy installed and then uninstalled. If that's also your case, then probably Galaxy is leaving some trace after being uninstalled that might trigger the bug. This is speculation on my part based on exterior observation, I don't really know what is going on under the code.

This crashing should not happen, and for the majority of players does not happen. I have Windows 7, I don't have Galaxy and I can run CotN flawlessly. And yours should run flawlessly too without Galaxy.

After so many reports I suppose GOG is already working to solve this, but anyway you should submit them a customer service ticket explaining your case: the more info they get, the better. GOG is the one responsible to solve this problem, but if you want a quick fix, installing Galaxy and running CotN through Galaxy once will let you play, as has been reported by everyone with the same problem.
How can I check my computer to see if it has Galaxy remnants? I looked in the Registry and didn't see Galaxy listed there. I also checked the Program Files and ProgramData folders and there was no Galaxy listed in there either. Where else can I check?
ElTerprise: And the Linux version is here.
Shadowcat: Sold!
Hey shadowchat, have you tried on a distro other than ubuntu? The gamecard sez ubuntu only and I didn't get the chance to test it on my mint pc, that's why.
Thanks!
Post edited August 18, 2015 by vicklemos
IronArcturus: How can I check my computer to see if it has Galaxy remnants? I looked in the Registry and didn't see Galaxy listed there. I also checked the Program Files and ProgramData folders and there was no Galaxy listed in there either. Where else can I check?
You can't. I mean, if you were able to find what is causing the problem, you would solve this issue for everyone. However, if it were that easy, it would have been solved by now. We can't make much about it beyond filing a ticket; leave this problem to the tech guys. I have told you my theory about the bug just to explain that this no planned DRM scheme, just a random ugly bug: I wasn't implying that you should try to debug it yourself, that would be nuts.

The only options you have now is either installing Galaxy, waiting for an update that fixes this, or asking for a refund.

There's also a fourth option. You could format your hard drive and reinstall everything clean. If you could make CotN work on your system after that, my theory about "Galaxy leaving traces after uninstalling" would be nearly fully proved. And if not, it would be totally disproved. But that may be too much of a hassle.
Hollyhock: You can't. I mean, if you were able to find what is causing the problem, you would solve this issue for everyone. However, if it were that easy, it would have been solved by now. We can't make much about it beyond filing a ticket; leave this problem to the tech guys. I have told you my theory about the bug just to explain that this no planned DRM scheme, just a random ugly bug: I wasn't implying that you should try to debug it yourself, that would be nuts.

The only options you have now is either installing Galaxy, waiting for an update that fixes this, or asking for a refund.

There's also a fourth option. You could format your hard drive and reinstall everything clean. If you could make CotN work on your system after that, my theory about "Galaxy leaving traces after uninstalling" would be nearly fully proved. And if not, it would be totally disproved. But that may be too much of a hassle.
Do you know how long the update will take? I'd rather not have to do a refund if there is a chance to get the game working. I've been wanting to play this game for a while now, it's just sad that it still doesn't work. -_-
IronArcturus: Do you know how long the update will take? I'd rather not have to do a refund if there is a chance to get the game working. I've been wanting to play this game for a while now, it's just sad that it still doesn't work. -_-
Sorry, no idea. I have no professional relation with GOG, I'm just a customer like you. I know that the situation sucks, but I can't help you any further.

I can only tell you that, up to now, the GOG team has behaved competently and responsibly with past issues of other games. I'm pretty sure they are already trying to solve it, due to many other buyers complaining about the same bug, and due to being a severe bug on a launch title. Sadly, that doesn't mean much: debugging is an obscure alchemy and even competent devs can take from hours to weeks to fix a single problem. I'm only sure that they will eventually solve it.
Post edited August 18, 2015 by Hollyhock
IronArcturus: Do you know how long the update will take? I'd rather not have to do a refund if there is a chance to get the game working. I've been wanting to play this game for a while now, it's just sad that it still doesn't work. -_-
Hollyhock: Sorry, no idea. I have no professional relation with GOG, I'm just a customer like you. I know that the situation sucks, but I can't help you any further.

I can only tell you that, up to now, the GOG team has behaved competently and responsibly with past issues of other games. I'm pretty sure they are already trying to solve it, due to many other buyers complaining about the same bug, and due to being a severe bug on a launch title. Sadly, that doesn't mean much: debugging is an obscure alchemy and even competent devs can take from hours to weeks to fix a single problem. I'm only sure that they will eventually solve it.
I've been investigating with Process Monitor, and I've noticed that necrodancer.exe keeps calling the Galaxy.dll file in the directory. It looks like that .dll file is causing the problem. Here's a screenshot.

Unfortunately, removing the Galaxy.dll file doesn't fix the problem. Do the devs know about this file causing issues?
Attachments:
IronArcturus: Unfortunately, removing the Galaxy.dll file doesn't fix the problem. Do the devs know about this file causing issues?
They will welcome any information you can provide. Tell them about your findings when filing your ticket.
vicklemos: Hey shadowchat, have you tried on a distro other than ubuntu? The gamecard sez ubuntu only and I didn't get the chance to test it on my mint pc, that's why.
Runs fine on my Jesse based distro.
vicklemos: Hey shadowchat, have you tried on a distro other than ubuntu? The gamecard sez ubuntu only and I didn't get the chance to test it on my mint pc, that's why.
Thanks!
FWIW it works a treat on Lubuntu, but that's essentially still Ubuntu (just with Unity and other stuff removed), so I'm not sure how much that helps.
Gydion: Runs fine on my Jesse based distro.
Thanks! :)
Thanks!
Shadowcat: FWIW it works a treat on Lubuntu, but that's essentially still Ubuntu (just with Unity and other stuff removed), so I'm not sure how much that helps.
Well it's essentially Debian, right? I'll test it asap (damn lack of proper time :P)
Cheers, and thanks!
Post edited August 19, 2015 by vicklemos
Looks interesting. Can someone tell me how many tracks actually come included with the game? (hard to tell from the gamecard as the DLC's are specific with how many tracks are included whereas the main game doesnt )
Wishlisted.