It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The red beret of justice.

<span class="bold">Cosmic Star Heroine</span>, a turn-based sci-fi RPG from the makers of Cthulhu Saves the World, is now available, DRM-Free on GOG.com with a 33% launch discount.

The world is in epic peril and only some good old-fashioned role-playing can save it! Join secret operative Alyssa L'Salle and her ragtag team, as they travel the galaxy to uncover a sinister conspiracy that threatens every last pixel of her world. Fancy tech, supernatural creatures, aliens, robots, exotic planets - this is a charming potpourri of sci-fi and fantasy elements that will keep you guessing and looking forward to the next surprise encounter. Before you beat the crap out of it.

The 33% discount will last until July 24, 1PM UTC.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited July 17, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
i_ni: (Rant)
I honestly don't get it - why are every second game and movie "politically correct" by appointing she-characters in a story having no reality check when it comes to women? I'm bored to the bones. Will not buy because of it, sorry, even if the game excels in story and design.

What makes the story woman-driven?

Will have to rewatch "As Good as It Gets" (1997) to calm down.
X-com: So you would buy this if the story was male-driven or is it that you like to have a choice at the beginning of the game?
It's about RPG-ing, right? I read "secret operative Alyssa" and I get on edge - I don't know many (if any) secret women operatives, past or present. Is there a gender focus to the story(the struggle of a woman becoming a secret agent)? Why'd I play it, for the betternes of my soft skills? Yes, I'd play it having the choice of gender or of a male character.
i_ni: (Rant)
I honestly don't get it - why are every second game and movie "politically correct" by appointing she-characters in a story having no reality check when it comes to women? I'm bored to the bones. Will not buy because of it, sorry, even if the game excels in story and design.

What makes the story woman-driven?

Will have to rewatch "As Good as It Gets" (1997) to calm down.
dtgreene: (Rant)
I honestly don't get it - why are every second game and movie "politically correct" by appointing he-characters in a story having no reality check when it comes to men? I'm bored to the bones. Will not buy because of it, sorry, even if the game excels in story and design.

What makes the story man-driven?

(Rant over)

See how your rant looks with just a little gender-swapping? (Note that the "will not buy because of it" does not apply to this game, at least not for me; it was only there because the original rant had it.")
See above - https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_cosmic_star_heroine_d4288/post31
Post edited July 17, 2017 by i_ni
i_ni: It's about RPG-ing, right? I read "secret operative Alyssa" and I get on edge - I don't know many (if any) secret women operatives, past or present. Is there a gender focus to the story(the struggle of a woman becoming a secret agent)? Why'd I play it, for the betternes of my soft skills? Yes, I'd play it having the choice of gender or of a male character.
Then I guess you'll never play No One Lives Forever. Well, it's your loss, really.

As for female secret operatives throughout history, you'd be surprised by the actual numbers (and their effectiveness when compared to male secret operatives) if you only did a quick google search.
low rated
i_ni: It's about RPG-ing, right? I read "secret operative Alyssa" and I get on edge - I don't know many (if any) secret women operatives, past or present. Is there a gender focus to the story(the struggle of a woman becoming a secret agent)? Why'd I play it, for the betternes of my soft skills? Yes, I'd play it having the choice of gender or of a male character.
groze: Then I guess you'll never play No One Lives Forever. Well, it's your loss, really.

As for female secret operatives throughout history, you'd be surprised by the actual numbers (and their effectiveness when compared to male secret operatives) if you only did a quick google search.
Like squad leaders, as the game suggests? References?

Or something lke Atomic Blonde (2017)? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2406566/videoplayer/vi500742425 - trailer.
Post edited July 18, 2017 by i_ni
Cool, need more rpg's, keep 'em coming.
i_ni: I don't know many (if any) secret women operatives, past or present.
That's because they're that much more secretive.

i_ni: Is there a gender focus to the story(the struggle of a woman becoming a secret agent)?
This isn't one of those preachy games that hammers you over the head with the developer's pet issues. She doesn't struggle to become an agent because she starts out as one, and there are numerous other characters both male and female (and alien) who join the party. Gender is irrelevant in the same way that Chrono Trigger never got hung up on the main character's dangly bits.
Looks like a Western made take on Chrono Trigger. Anyone that's played this know if it's any good?
Nice release! ^_^
So, butthurt complaints about the protagonist's gender aside, has anyone tried this in WINE?
Experiment513: And no OST? Bummer... :-P
Perhaps it gets released 3 days later, as usual. These delayed soundtrack releases look like some cheap marketing strategy to generate more interest.
Already have the deluxe edition with soundtrack on Humble, but I'll consider buying it again. :)
ZaineH: Already have the deluxe edition with soundtrack on Humble, but I'll consider buying it again. :)
What's different of the Deluxe Edition? Only the soundtrack?
This one looks great, will definitely consider.
ZaineH: Already have the deluxe edition with soundtrack on Humble, but I'll consider buying it again. :)
OdanUrr: What's different of the Deluxe Edition? Only the soundtrack?
Artbook and strategy guide that haven't released. There is also mention of wallpapers and avatars not listed with the standard edition, but those released here (and aren't on Humble yet).... so yeah, just the soundtrack so far. >.<
Post edited July 18, 2017 by ZaineH
blobov: A must warn you, that the default download page leads to the gog galaxy installer version - without a warning it installed the galaxy and the game too... gog.com, I suggest you to change the default download page to the classic installers, as it is with the other games.
Thanks for the warning. :/

They're really doing their best to be shitty. And where's the soundtrack?
OdanUrr: What's different of the Deluxe Edition? Only the soundtrack?
ZaineH: Artbook and strategy guide that haven't released. There is also mention of wallpapers and avatars not listed with the standard edition, but those released here (and aren't on Humble yet).... so yeah, just the soundtrack so far. >.<
Thanks for the answer! I'll just get it from GOG now and be on the lookout for a DE upgrade later on (if it comes to GOG, that is).