It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A knight's tale.

Conqueror: A.D. 1086 is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
In this strategy/management game peppered with action sequences, you start in medieval England as a young lad with big dreams and big problems. Win joust tournaments and ace all financial affairs to raise your influence and eventually slay a monstrous dragon or challenge the rule of William the Conqueror himself.
IronArcturus: Is this game similar to Lords of the Realm 2?
Yeah, kind of, but more like Defender of the Crown!
That's a nice surprise.
I tried Defenders of the Crown thinking it was this game and it, of course, wasn't. Now I know what it is! Yay! I remember it was fun, but not much else. I'll have to give a try some time.
GOG.com: Win joust tournaments and ace all financial affairs to raise your influence and eventually slay a monstrous dragon or challenge the rule of William the Conqueror himself.
Don't forget you can meet up with some fine looking ladies:

https://images-2.gog.com/4d9e6e08cdfaa65258c2cbe45838e3fcfb31fde844ec51e42e3b5ef5f00e22d1_product_card_screenshot_600_2x.jpg

;)

edit: The fifth one looks like my magic user out of the gold box games.
Post edited November 08, 2017 by drmike
this game is great. The invading a castle in sort of castlewolfenstein, but with swords is awesome!!! back in the day I did it all. jousted every knight out of the saddle and smashed all the tournaments....slayed the king and collected all the magic items to attack the dragon....however no matter how much i tried I couldn't get my lance in the dragons eye. maybe i was missing some of the magic items you need??
A Software Sorcery game! I did not even know they had more than one! If you got this oh please, please get Jutland which is their game also. GOG you are something else! You are the only place I buy games from! Jutland don't forget!
Post edited November 08, 2017 by thebes
played this for a couple of weeks, beat it then gave the disc back to a friend. I'd forgotten all about it, now i must buy it again. crazy here goes my weekend.
Yay! I was hoping this game would come to GOG.

A short introduction from memory:

The goal is to either become the king, or defeat the dragon. There were several different ways in which one could become a more prominent knight: leading armies, conquering keeps and jousting.

As I recall, the battles weren't much fun. I seem to recall that every unit was weak against one kind of unit and strong against another, rock-paper-scissors style. Sadly, it was vey difficult to control the units effectively, so it tended to become more of a mosh pit were the winner was the one who brought the most units.

I don't remember much about the tournaments except that it was about keeping your lance at the right pixel to win honour for yourself and you Lady. The ladies had different preferences, different ways in which you'd have to be prominent to grab their interest; be noble and win tournaments, be rich, be a successful conqueror etc. I believe you could ultimately marry one of them, if she'd become sufficiently impressed and wooed. [EDIT:] Also the tournaments took place at different locations, so you'd have to travel around to get to them, kinda like Mount & Blade.

However, the most fun aspect was in my opinion taking over castles, first person style. You started out with crap equipment, which influenced how much damage you did and how much damage you could take. You could buy better equipment and also bring soldiers with you to aid in your conquest. Once you got the good equipment it was rather easy, though, and you became quite the one man army.

I remember playing it as a kid, getting as far as having a couple of armies outside of the king's castle, when he fled and it was game over. Still, I had fun and wouldn't mind playing the game again.

Definitely an instabuy, eh, at a later date.

EDIT: I seem to have forgotten about the team style battles at the tournaments. Oh well, I remembered a pro tip: it's a good idea to let them hit one of your comrades while you stab at them with impunity, for great honour! Good luck!

Pro tip 2: I seem to recall you could lure the army stationed in a keep you wanted to take over with an army of your own, and then lead them on a wild goose chase, whilst another army snuck around and fought what defenders were left. Good if you—like me—didn't like the battles, and just wanted to get to the castle conquering.
Post edited November 08, 2017 by MightyPinecone
Vythonaut: Never heard of this but it looks fantastic! What a retro week!
Same here. I know the other two releases (Heart of China, Rise of the Dragon) like the back of my hands, but this... never heard of it.

It is possible I haven't simply paid attention to this (and many many other PC releases) back when this was released, probably too busy playing Doom 1-2 and Duke3D.
Nice releases. Will definitely pick these up (on payday).
saberstorm11: [snip]...however no matter how much i tried I couldn't get my lance in the dragons eye. [...]
That's got to be one of the strangest euphemisms I've ever heard for striking out sexually with a woman. =P
Ah, the memories! I have talked much about this game to friends, with it's great blend of RPG, FPS, RTS, kingdom building. The scope of this game for the time was amazing, and I think it would awesome to see a modern remake. I've been hoping for years for this go come to GOG, so now it is!
Actually looks really cool! Love the old school strategy sandbox genre mishmash games like this. Between this one and the other China setting Sierra game that was just released here, I can't get over how good these things looked for '91 (I missed them first go around).

Were they Amiga games or just products of really amazing coding and good use of visual limitations?
Thank you GOG, I'd been trying to remember the name of this game and it popped up on the front page. A great game from my childhood.
The only thing I remember about this game is that it was panned big time by game critics back in the day, but they've been wrong before. :-) Wonderful to read so many awesome memories from people who played the game, that's way more valuable info, so definitely putting Conqueror on my wishlist!

thebes: A Software Sorcery game! I did not even know they had more than one! If you got this oh please, please get Jutland which is their game also. GOG you are something else! You are the only place I buy games from! Jutland don't forget!
They actually made another game for Sierra, called Fast Attack (a submarine simulator game), the year prior. Fingers crossed for another GOG release! :-)
Post edited November 10, 2017 by Corwim