It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Enjoy a faithful adaptation of a strategic board game ranked as one of the top board games of all time. Concordia: Digital Edition is now available on GOG.COM along with 12% discount that will disappear on 5th October 2021, at 10 AM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Gudadantza: I believe that those DLC's will be some kind of new campaigns of zoomed i regional maps focused in the respective zones

In one of the screenshots I can see Empre maps with big zones or provinces and other screenshots more focused in Italy for example. The names of some DLC's can give us clues with things like Crete an Greece, etc... They wll be some new campaigns for the base game.
r8V9b1X3u9VcA12p: You're right, it looks like the base game only has Italy containing distinct provinces which makes sense for the game and DLCs' releases because Rome conquered first villages around itself then the entire peninsula then extra-italian territories that seem to be considered as unique blocks in the base game.

Out of solidarity with you, I'll play Hispania DLC before the Gallia one :-) First thing first: build many forts on Ibiza to repell the worst tribe of all: TOURISTS, or backup strategy... tax them to death (inspired by modern day Ibiza)!

Hm, 3 new DLCs just popped-up...
:D

It wouldn't be a bad idea if you want to play in historical order. The hispania map could be the second or third in the list.

DLC madness incoming, indeed, the list does expand
Gudadantza: The game looks attractive. The concept of trade focused empire buiding games is always very interesting.It reminds me a mix between the trade concept of Europa Universalis and Machiavelli the Prince. The Tabletop appeal is charming too. Wishlisted. The incoming army of DLC's is frightening, though
r8V9b1X3u9VcA12p: My thought exactly. Concordia looks nice and tidy but grand European strategy + DLCs remind me badly of Paradox games and their abusive myriad of DLCs that, let's be honest, are necessary if you want a normal and full game experience.

I'll wait for Concordia's DLCs to be revealed before contemplating buying even the base game.
Note that this is a digital implementation of a board game. The DLCs are the digital implementations of the physical expansion maps, of which many exist simply because of the huge and unceasing popularity of the boardgame. None of them are required to play or enjoy the game - they're strictly alternative maps, for variety; some offer a more competitive 2-player experience, some have some gimmicks to alter game play a bit, but the base game maps have plenty of life in them by themselves. I'd recommend getting only one or two expansion maps at most unless you discover yourself to be a huge fan and playing all the time.
(Salsa is the main exception, as it offers a new resource - but that's also generally considered to be the weakest expansion, which most people prefer to play without.)

The main difference between all maps is the number of provinces and cities (the more there are on the map, the less "competition" there is in the game for being the first in certain locations), as well as the distribution of land and sea routes between those cities. The base game should come with two maps: Italy for 2-4 players, and the Mediterranean for 3-5 players.

Also note that Concordia is a solid mid-weight euro game; you can expect it to be a noticeable step up from a strategy perspective than what you might be used to if you're mostly used to playing Catan, Dominion or even Wingspan. It's certainly accessible enough for new players, but both optimal gameplay and the scoring system might take a little bit of getting used to.
Post edited September 28, 2021 by gogtrial34987
So many beautiful ladies in-game. A bit odd for Classical Greek World, or at least it seems so.
r8V9b1X3u9VcA12p: My thought exactly. Concordia looks nice and tidy but grand European strategy + DLCs remind me badly of Paradox games and their abusive myriad of DLCs that, let's be honest, are necessary if you want a normal and full game experience.

I'll wait for Concordia's DLCs to be revealed before contemplating buying even the base game.
gogtrial34987: Note that this is a digital implementation of a board game. The DLCs are the digital implementations of the physical expansion maps, of which many exist simply because of the huge and unceasing popularity of the boardgame. None of them are required to play or enjoy the game - they're strictly alternative maps, for variety; some offer a more competitive 2-player experience, some have some gimmicks to alter game play a bit, but the base game maps have plenty of life in them by themselves. I'd recommend getting only one or two expansion maps at most unless you discover yourself to be a huge fan and playing all the time.
(Salsa is the main exception, as it offers a new resource - but that's also generally considered to be the weakest expansion, which most people prefer to play without.)

The main difference between all maps is the number of provinces and cities (the more there are on the map, the less "competition" there is in the game for being the first in certain locations), as well as the distribution of land and sea routes between those cities. The base game should come with two maps: Italy for 2-4 players, and the Mediterranean for 3-5 players.

Also note that Concordia is a solid mid-weight euro game; you can expect it to be a noticeable step up from a strategy perspective than what you might be used to if you're mostly used to playing Catan, Dominion or even Wingspan. It's certainly accessible enough for new players, but both optimal gameplay and the scoring system might take a little bit of getting used to.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information!
I'm fond of RTS but not familiar with this kind of games and the ones you mentioned. The most similar I played was Knights of Honor (European map with optional RTS battles for each province) but I got exhausted (hours and hours of playing the same map but EVERY TIME I gained a territory, the game took rather artificially another territory from me, so I was stuck with my initial territories forever...) so it discouraged me to try similar games.
At least Concordia seems simpler and clearer in terms of options, judging by its interface, and focus on trade for a change, so I'll definitely try the base game if as you say, it's not a truncated version of the real game. ROMA VICTRIX!
soosgjr: The problem usually isn't with Galaxy, but the lack direct TCP/IP LAN multiplayer, which isn't reliant on any external service and tends to be a permanently available solution.
Do you know for certain that it doesn't have a direct connection option? I can understand an account being required for online multi-player match making with other people across different platforms.
soosgjr: The problem usually isn't with Galaxy, but the lack direct TCP/IP LAN multiplayer, which isn't reliant on any external service and tends to be a permanently available solution.
Mean.Jim: Do you know for certain that it doesn't have a direct connection option? I can understand an account being required for online multi-player match making with other people across different platforms.
Nope, just the wording of the blurb at the bottom of the store page. That said, my comment isn't really aimed at this game in particular, but the sorry state LAN play is in these days, with dedicated servers going extinct and everything being tied to launchers, accounts, and whatnot.
i_ni: So many beautiful ladies in-game. A bit odd for Classical Greek World, or at least it seems so.
they still hadn't invented women back then
i_ni: So many beautiful ladies in-game. A bit odd for Classical Greek World, or at least it seems so.
Dogmaus: they still hadn't invented women back then
Right, they invented the Republic and the Democracy, yet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Greece#Women_in_ancient_Greece
> No women ever acquired citizenship in ancient Athens, and therefore women were excluded in principle and practice from ancient Athenian democracy.