It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sanctuary is being sought/ Whispered prayers a last resort.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ancient horrors constantly lurking in the corner of your eye. Mad cultists sacrificing their humanity in order to appease terrible gods. Your own sanity hanging by a thin, fleshy thread. H.P. Lovecraft's works come to life in all their soul-biting vigor as this 1920s story of survival horror unfolds. Will you dare see it to its bitter end?

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
finkleroy: I'd like for a blue to explain why this game was removed from the site.
I'm with this theory:
deja65: Please tell me they ain't pulling another Re-volt on us.... I mean the game contains a truckload of thirdparty community fixes,and maybe some of it has not been given green light.
Klumpen0815: I'm with this theory:
deja65: Please tell me they ain't pulling another Re-volt on us.... I mean the game contains a truckload of thirdparty community fixes,and maybe some of it has not been given green light.
Klumpen0815:
I'm unfamiliar with what happened there. I presume the green light was not given by the publisher for GOG to release the game with the third-party community mods. If that's the case, I suppose they could always remove the mods and those of us who purchased and downloaded the game with the mods included can use the forums to let everyone know what mods were included and where to find them.

It's annoying that a publisher would release a game that's extremely buggy, refuse to fix it, and then complain about GOG selling a fixed version of it (if that's indeed what has happened here). Personally, I don't think GOG should be selling games that have not been fixed even though they were originally released years ago. For example, Deadly Premonition really should come with DPfix and an explanation as to how to set up the game so that it's watchable. The vanilla version of that game is horrible, and even with the third-party community mods, it still crashes quite often.
Any update on this? It's strange that we still haven't heard the official word from GOG yet.
This sucks for a lot of people - though the fact that it was #1 on the list for a while means I wasn't the only one super excited to pick it up immediately. I hope it is a 3rd party fix that they're just getting a quick "OK" for before it goes back up.

Question - I bought this as a gift code. I know, I'm weird but I do this a lot for a game I'm not going to download and fire up right away, "just in case."

I can still redeem a paid for gift code yes? I'm like 99.9% sure the answer is yes, but just making sure.
finkleroy: I'd like for a blue to explain why this game was removed from the site.
Klumpen0815: I'm with this theory:
Klumpen0815:
My guess too. Very sad.
Ixamyakxim: I can still redeem a paid for gift code yes? I'm like 99.9% sure the answer is yes, but just making sure.
Feel free to go for 100%.
Ixamyakxim: I can still redeem a paid for gift code yes? I'm like 99.9% sure the answer is yes, but just making sure.
Grargar: Feel free to go for 100%.
Thanks - the only reason I doubted it was because... I actually don't know. I know people buy codes all the time for games about to be removed and whatnot but this seemed "different" LOL.

I think I'm going to go ahead and redeem / download right away just in case it is an issue with a mod that can't get cleared or a publisher (based on chatter) that doesn't want a game modded (though I doubt this is it). Just in case... I hadn't heard of the reef witch glitch (or even knew there WAS A reef witch) until this thread. I don't want to encounter it ;)
In my experience, if it's still available for people who already have it in their library to download it, it's also still available to be redeemed, e.g. Alan Wake. I don't see why this game would be any different.
I see your 100% and raise you 200%. O.o
Okay just redeemed and started to download.

There was just one file to download, with the label "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" with a version 1 next to it (this is for the non-Galaxy installer).

Is this what it looked like for everyone who already downloaded it last week / before it was removed? I just want to make sure it's the patched / modded file (at least as far as we can tell by the name of the download).

*edit* In my download link the download it called "Setup... ... _1.0_(14415)"
Post edited November 11, 2017 by Ixamyakxim
Ixamyakxim: Okay just redeemed and started to download.

There was just one file to download, with the label "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" with a version 1 next to it (this is for the non-Galaxy installer).

Is this what it looked like for everyone who already downloaded it last week / before it was removed? I just want to make sure it's the patched / modded file (at least as far as we can tell by the name of the download).
Yes. The only file that was available to me when I downloaded it on the 1st is setup_call_of_cthulhu_1.0_(14415).exe, which is 1.15 GB (1,238,102,176 bytes).
Post edited November 11, 2017 by finkleroy
finkleroy: Yes. The only file that was available to me when I downloaded it on the 1st is setup_call_of_cthulhu_1.0_(14415).exe, which is 1.15 GB.
Awesome thanks - I actually had just updated my post to include the (14415) from the Setup and saw yours was the same after I finished the edit - seems I'm all set - let's hope it stays that way for everyone who has yet to grab this.

As a side note, maybe this finally gives me an excuse to wander away from my 5 months in The Witcher 3 to fire this up.
high rated
We have a front page news about some guy's twitch channel but no official reply about the removal of this game ?
Post edited November 11, 2017 by Painted_Doll
finkleroy: Yes. The only file that was available to me when I downloaded it on the 1st is setup_call_of_cthulhu_1.0_(14415).exe, which is 1.15 GB.
Ixamyakxim: Awesome thanks - I actually had just updated my post to include the (14415) from the Setup and saw yours was the same after I finished the edit - seems I'm all set - let's hope it stays that way for everyone who has yet to grab this.

As a side note, maybe this finally gives me an excuse to wander away from my 5 months in The Witcher 3 to fire this up.
I can't even begin to imagine playing any game for 5 months without taking a bunch of breaks to play other games. But then I'm not a fan of RPGs. That level of obsession seems to be primarily confined to that genre and its sub-genres. When it was first released for the PC, I did play through GTA: San Andreas 10 times in the space of about a year and achieved 100% completion each time. That game has far more RPG elements than any other installment in that series, and I'm not sure if that's why it's the only GTA game I've ever really gone crazy with, but I digress.
Painted_Doll: We have a front page news about some guy's twitch channel but no official reply about the removal of this game ?
The front page headlines are always dead on the weekend, and that article was published right before it began. I hope we hear from a blue by Monday.
Post edited November 11, 2017 by finkleroy
finkleroy: I can't even begin to imagine playing any game for 5 months without taking a bunch of breaks to play other games. But then I'm not a fan of RPGs. That level of obsession seems to be primarily confined to that genre and its sub-genres. When it was first released for the PC
I've NEVER sunk as much time into a game as I have this one. I never played many of the "glory days" JRPGs that hit 100+ hours but I did solve Baldur's Gate and put a ton of time into things like Persona 4 and FFXII .

I can't believe the game has kept my attention as long as it has (and especially with my backlog containing at least 2 - 3 games I really want to jump into). I'm not even doing every... single... quest ("hunts" , collections, side quests, map blips, etc). I'm pretty much following the main story and doing side quests that look interesting but being quick to get "back on course" so I don't burn out on the game whenever I feel I'm wandering too much.

Testament to how good the game is that I'm still invested in it as I am. I can't even put a finger on why but really I haven't even been close to putting it aside. The early game seemed a bit ... slow, character progression-wise (it take a while to realize you're not going to blow through levels like in modern RPGs - levels are tougher to come by and your character is developed over a longer span of time).

But the story arcs and production / cutscenes were interesting enough during that time to keep me engaged and wanting more - since then it's just been a fun ride.

LOL that is one hell of a tangent on my part right there by the way.