It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sanctuary is being sought/ Whispered prayers a last resort.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ancient horrors constantly lurking in the corner of your eye. Mad cultists sacrificing their humanity in order to appease terrible gods. Your own sanity hanging by a thin, fleshy thread. H.P. Lovecraft's works come to life in all their soul-biting vigor as this 1920s story of survival horror unfolds. Will you dare see it to its bitter end?

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
Woo! It's currently the best seller on GoG. Thought it would be. Now all that GoG needs to do is fix the screenshots on the listing that repeat themselves, and possibly add a vid.

And ignore the review a certain person has put on there (only giving it 2 stars). They don't seem to have understood the difference between a FPS game and a FPP adventure. Like I said in my review, if you're looking for an auto-aiming mindless blaster, this isn't the game for you. It certainly wasn't the game for that user.
Post edited November 03, 2017 by skeecher
timppu: Reminds me of "Realms of the Haunting" and "Undying" then.

I recall almost shitting my pants when playing the first level of ROTH (Silent Hill-level shitpants, times two), but later it became more like "shooting monsters with weapons".

I guess horror games need survival horror. If you can kill enemies like in normal FPS games, it is not really horror anymore. Horror needs helplessness, otherwise it becomes this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUMdLoMAqs#t=125
tfishell: There haven't been recent survival-horror FPS games though for some reason, afaik, like 2011's Cry of Fear. I don't really understand why that is.
You can count the two Evil Within games too - both are brilliant survival horror games if not strictly first person (although you can use a console command to play the second one in first person).
Post edited November 04, 2017 by heartburnron
heartburnron: you can use a console command to play the second one in first person
Interesting, thanks.
heartburnron: you can use a console command to play the second one in first person
tfishell: Interesting, thanks.
Haven't tried it myself but here are the instructions and a link to someone playing the game in first person:

[i]To flip The Evil Within 2 into first-person mode on PC you will need enable the in-game console.

You do this by creating a shortcut and adding “+com_allowconsole 1”. Then start the game from the shortcut and bring up the console while in-game by pressing the insert key. Next type “pl_FPS 1” which will switch the game to a first-person mode.[/i]

https://youtu.be/5LlLQCGDAAE
Post edited November 04, 2017 by heartburnron
Instabuy for me.
Good move, Gog. Cthulhu is pleased. When he rises and the Old Ones Return you will be eaten last....
I totally CAME, I have the SHTEAM VERSHION and it was UNPLAYABLE for me on my nVidia card I got the UPSIDE DOWN LOVE HEART RAINDROP BUG and the Stupid reef bug Annoyed me deeply TY GOG I'm buying this

Love heart raindrop bug

https://youtu.be/8SjgqmzU1aw?t=1m
fr33kSh0w2012: I totally CAME, I have the SHTEAM VERSHION and it was UNPLAYABLE for me on my nVidia card I got the UPSIDE DOWN LOVE HEART RAINDROP BUG and the Stupid reef bug Annoyed me deeply TY GOG I'm buying this

Love heart raindrop bug

Can you post the video of upside down love heart raindrop bug? I am interested in how does it look like.
skeecher: And ignore the review a certain person has put on there (only giving it 2 stars). They don't seem to have understood the difference between a FPS game and a FPP adventure. Like I said in my review, if you're looking for an auto-aiming mindless blaster, this isn't the game for you. It certainly wasn't the game for that user.
Quite the contrary, that reviewer knows EXACTLY the difference between a FPS game and a FPP adventure. His entire point is that Call Of Cuthulhu tries to have it both ways and can't get either quite right. As much as I like the fact that this game is finally on gog, I find this to be a very valid criticism. The opening 90 minutes or so are brilliant, then it turns into scripted, on-rails tedium.
fr33kSh0w2012: I totally CAME, I have the SHTEAM VERSHION and it was UNPLAYABLE for me on my nVidia card I got the UPSIDE DOWN LOVE HEART RAINDROP BUG and the Stupid reef bug Annoyed me deeply TY GOG I'm buying this

Love heart raindrop bug

Tarhiel: Can you post the video of upside down love heart raindrop bug? I am interested in how does it look like.
If you look at that video properly YOU WILL SEE IT!
Tarhiel: Can you post the video of upside down love heart raindrop bug? I am interested in how does it look like.
fr33kSh0w2012: If you look at that video properly YOU WILL SEE IT!
At exactly what minute?
It´s 26 minutes long, I am not gonna sit through all of it.
Post edited November 04, 2017 by Tarhiel
fr33kSh0w2012: If you look at that video properly YOU WILL SEE IT!
Tarhiel: At exactly what minute?
at exactly the 1 minute mark like I've marked!
Tarhiel: At exactly what minute?
fr33kSh0w2012: at exactly the 1 minute mark like I've marked!
No, it isn't. In fact, the best place to see it isn't until 4:14.
Post edited November 04, 2017 by Mr.Mumbles
Here is a Video I made:

https://youtu.be/GpowFl_FqL0?t=7m12s it's here watch it
fr33kSh0w2012: at exactly the 1 minute mark like I've marked!
Mr.Mumbles: No, it isn't. In fact, the best place to see it isn't until 4:14.
Thank you, both of you, now I see it at 4:14! :) But is it really a bug?
I mean it seems to want to simulate a rain drop on a lens :)
fronzelneekburm: Quite the contrary, that reviewer knows EXACTLY the difference between a FPS game and a FPP adventure. His entire point is that Call Of Cuthulhu tries to have it both ways and can't get either quite right. As much as I like the fact that this game is finally on gog, I find this to be a very valid criticism. The opening 90 minutes or so are brilliant, then it turns into scripted, on-rails tedium.
No, his problem was his own frustration at things like respawn points (save points) that somewhat "delicate" gamers have a problem with. Most others accept them as an extra, and added, feature of gameplay, but not those that prefer their progress to be saved every step of the way. The fact that he titled his review "Bad first person shooter" proves he's clueless about the difference between a FPS and a FPP adventure, and his mentioning of Doom as an alternative doesn't really support your idea that he knows what he's talking about. He may have referenced Frictional Games but it really didn't help with his review.

And the game "tries to have it both ways and can't get either quite right" you say? I think there are those in this thread that would disagree with you there. I've yet to play a similar game that matches it's atmosphere and game mechanics (even with the notoriious bugs it has).

Even without the "on-rails tedium" you still get Ghost Train gameplay with many FPP surviival horrors. This is all very well if you like things jumping out at you all the time, but sometimes, something more cerebral is required. And I find it somewhat ironic that gamers demand their little sandbox worlds but still want to be led by the hand in everything they do in them. Probably the reason why many games are so dumbed-down these days.
Post edited November 05, 2017 by skeecher