It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sanctuary is being sought/ Whispered prayers a last resort.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ancient horrors constantly lurking in the corner of your eye. Mad cultists sacrificing their humanity in order to appease terrible gods. Your own sanity hanging by a thin, fleshy thread. H.P. Lovecraft's works come to life in all their soul-biting vigor as this 1920s story of survival horror unfolds. Will you dare see it to its bitter end?

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
Instabought! :)

I have it on CD's but i never finish it due to reef bug.
Crosmando: A pretty cool game. Although the beginning is good horror, the rest of the game is more of a horror-themed shooter.
timppu: Reminds me of "Realms of the Haunting" and "Undying" then.

I recall almost shitting my pants when playing the first level of ROTH (Silent Hill-level shitpants, times two), but later it became more like "shooting monsters with weapons".

I guess horror games need survival horror. If you can kill enemies like in normal FPS games, it is not really horror anymore. Horror needs helplessness, otherwise it becomes this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUMdLoMAqs#t=125
There haven't been recent survival-horror FPS games though for some reason, afaik, like 2011's Cry of Fear. I don't really understand why that is.
Such a fantastic game but it does have some really frustrating flaws. I actually gave up on the game right near the end of it. There is a sequence where you have to watch a 3 minutes cut scene that can't be skipped and then fight a 'boss'. It really seems like pure luck whether you get past him or not - sometimes one strike with the knife is enough and other times you just die trying. I got past this part twice but astonishingly there is no save point immediately afterwards and there is a fairly intensive combat part to get past after the boss so I died on both occasions only to be put right back to the start of the cutsence and boss fight. Aaaargh!! So, so frustraing to have to keep replaying and I got so frustrated I gave up.

Still, it really is a fantastic game and worth playing for all it's little niggles.
Post edited November 02, 2017 by heartburnron
I had this game in my wishlist in Steam, waiting for a discounted price to buy it. Somehow I forgot about it and never bought it. I recall about it now that I see it on GoG store and after reading all the problems the Steam version had I'm glad I didn't buy it.

Of course, I bought it as soon as I saw it available here, I need to show my support after all :).
I wanted this game for a while. I was hesitant to get it on Steam because of past reviews. I was waiting for G.O.G. to get it. I was so happy when it was offered, I bought it on the spot. I know G.O.G.'s reputation of applying fixes to the bugs I know the game is infamous for. I knew this game can be played.
tfishell: There haven't been recent survival-horror FPS games though for some reason, afaik, like 2011's Cry of Fear. I don't really understand why that is.
Resident Evil 7 would like to have a word with you.

There are probably others... Does the new DOOM count? I guess that's more of an Action game.

Come to think of it, has FPS Survival Horror ever been a popular genre? Seems like most classic Horror games are 3rd person view.
Ixx: The fact that you guys are releasing this with a fix for the Blue Light special is just .. amazing. I love GOG, I really do, because you guys incorporate the fixes that Steam releases ARE COMPATIBLE WITH BUT DON'T IMPLEMENT THEMSELVES. Thanks to Guzz for this, if he ever reads this, thumbs up man.
To be fair, it's mostly up to the devs and publishers to keep their software functional and bug-free, not the distribution platform. It's too bad that most publishers don't care, especially for older games. They're just trying to squeeze a little more money out of them, while we have to hope for unofficial mods and patches.
Post edited November 02, 2017 by CharlesGrey
tfishell: There haven't been recent survival-horror FPS games though for some reason, afaik, like 2011's Cry of Fear. I don't really understand why that is.
CharlesGrey: Resident Evil 7 would like to have a word with you.
Oh yes, ha I did forget about RE7.
high rated
Any Russian speakers want to give my English (GOG) to Russian converter a go?
https://www.gog.com/forum/call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth/problem_with_fonts_in_main_menu/post4

The game is already in English, French and German.

Checked the GOG version against the 1C retail Russian copy.
Replacing the following files seems to be enough to convert it to Russian:

Pc Sound\Voice\*
Fonts\Journal.abc
Fonts\Subtitles.abc

Not replaced any other game files so GOG's fixes should still apply.
I believe there might be an Italian translation as well (unofficial?)
Post edited November 02, 2017 by mwnn
Hmmm.... Nice to welcome this game here, it has fantastic atmosphere, really nails Lovecraft's mood. But i would recommend it only using a trainer (cheats), the difficulty is SICK as Innsmouth' horrors.
I played on Xbox years ago. I remember the wounds and insanity system: were both great. I´m purchasing again to play with mouse and keyboard.
CharlesGrey: Resident Evil 7 would like to have a word with you.
tfishell: Oh yes, ha I did forget about RE7.
As far as I can tell RE7 was well received and quite popular, so chances are we might see more games in this style. The next RE game, if nothing else. I wonder if this pure Stealth-Horror, in the style of Amnesia or Outlast, has reached a saturation point where people are growing tired of it? Personally I like the genre mixture of RE7 or Evil Within much better. Or Call of Cthulhu: DCotE, for that matter. Games where you have to run and avoid certain threats, but also have the option of fighting back in most situations, instead of the protagonist acting like a 5 year old with physical disabilities. :<

Also, I only now noticed that the GOG team started the promo text for this game release with a Judas Priest reference. Nice.
koima57: Hmmm.... Nice to welcome this game here, it has fantastic atmosphere, really nails Lovecraft's mood. But i would recommend it only using a trainer (cheats), the difficulty is SICK as Innsmouth' horrors.
It is a fairly challenging game, but the real problem with the old version were the frequent crashes and other game breaking issues. As long as the game works properly, it's not impossible to finish it without any cheats.
Post edited November 02, 2017 by CharlesGrey
Oh heck yes Instabought!

I played this years ago on console, near release I think. I rented it and must have done so right before a "big" game came out because I only played it for a short time (or maybe I encountered those legendary crashes and just forgot?). Anyway, I ALWAYS wanted to go back to it - so excited to get a chance to do that.

I remember I loved health mechanic (where you have to patch yourself up in a "realistic" manner), the retelling of Innsmouth and the sanity mechanism. Can't wait to give it a proper play this time around.

My only regret is that I didn't notice this two days ago - would have loved to turn out all the lights, cracked open something barrel aged from the cellar and spent a late Halloween evening in Innsmouth.

Would have been a nice excuse to take a detour from The Witcher 3. I can't believe I've been playing this game for five months now, without touching anything else. I don't think I've ever spent that much time with a game. I STILL haven't even gotten to the expansion stuff LOL. I think I'm only level 25 or 26. Shocked it's kept my attention this long, especially given the fact that I have a stack of games I REALLY want to play.
high rated
Just in case anyone else was interested, I have tested the DCofTE Patcher with this copy from GOG and it seems to work fine (haven't tested all functionality, but skip movies and such like works). This is a patcher whereby you can change certain things and fix things if you get stuck:
http://dcotetools.sucklead.com/p/dcotepatch.html
high rated
"Shpread out, shearch the area! Shpread out, shearch the area!"
If anyone is interested in FOV fix, DCoTE Patcher 1.5 is working fine for me, but after patching you need to wait until game loads next map. Alternatively, you can start a new game and it will work just as well.