It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sanctuary is being sought/ Whispered prayers a last resort.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ancient horrors constantly lurking in the corner of your eye. Mad cultists sacrificing their humanity in order to appease terrible gods. Your own sanity hanging by a thin, fleshy thread. H.P. Lovecraft's works come to life in all their soul-biting vigor as this 1920s story of survival horror unfolds. Will you dare see it to its bitter end?

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
Oh bless you, GOG! At last I can squirrel away my boxed copy.
A pretty cool game. Although the beginning is good horror, the rest of the game is more of a horror-themed shooter.
Post edited November 01, 2017 by Crosmando
looks fun, wishlisted cuz im broke :P
robertgg: ...
That's fine. I think why you're being downvoted is because you feel the need to let everyone in the release thread know you aren't buying (like how another user posts "BUG BUG BUG BUG" in bold whenever there is a promo bug). As far as I know it's all you ever post, and similar to the "BUG" user, some people find it annoying.

I still can't help but be reminded of those protesters that block traffic and act obnoxious - it just hurts their cause.
BadDecissions: Oh heck yes. I own this on Steam, but it has so many known issues on modern OSes that I've never been able to do much with it, and now you tell me that you've fixed those issues? Insta-bought.
Yeah, same here, insta-bought and properly de-steamed! valve could give two shits about the integrity of the games they sell...
YES! Thank you gog for bringing the game DRM and stable- or working on better stability.
robertgg: Nice enough old game, but with Regional Discriminating price it's a no-buy.
timppu: What does that mean? I see a defauit price of €4.99, which sounds quite low. At least I am not complaining even if it costs even less for e.g. Russians.

Nice to see this game here, esp. with additional fixes.
jrich3500: The game looks interesting. I just notice that it has no discount on it though. Would be more tempting with a discount.
timppu: Would you have bought it if the default price was $9.99 and it would come with a 50% release discount? Or maybe $19.99 with a 75% discount?
Its at a good price, so I can't really complain. Its a good deal still at $4.99 even without being discounted more.
Crosmando: A pretty cool game. Although the beginning is good horror, the rest of the game is more of a horror-themed shooter.
Reminds me of "Realms of the Haunting" and "Undying" then.

I recall almost shitting my pants when playing the first level of ROTH (Silent Hill-level shitpants, times two), but later it became more like "shooting monsters with weapons".

I guess horror games need survival horror. If you can kill enemies like in normal FPS games, it is not really horror anymore. Horror needs helplessness, otherwise it becomes this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUMdLoMAqs#t=125
Post edited November 01, 2017 by timppu
Take my money now!
Yay, insta-bought it one day later. Long live Cthulhu.
Is this version really fixed to work on Windows 10? I have the Steam version and the last time, only a couple of weeks or so, I tried it, I couldn't get past through a certain point on the game as it kept crashing. It was during the escape from the town, so pretty early on in the game. There were other crashes as well. but I managed to bypass them by going other routes.
timppu: I recall almost shitting my pants when playing the first level of ROTH (Silent Hill-level shitpants, times two), [...]
I feel you; RotH was scary indeed. Fantastic game that everyone should at least try it -- it's ridiculously discounted right now. Undying too!
Crosmando: A pretty cool game. Although the beginning is good horror, the rest of the game is more of a horror-themed shooter.
timppu: Reminds me of "Realms of the Haunting" and "Undying" then.

I recall almost shitting my pants when playing the first level of ROTH (Silent Hill-level shitpants, times two), but later it became more like "shooting monsters with weapons".

I guess horror games need survival horror. If you can kill enemies like in normal FPS games, it is not really horror anymore. Horror needs helplessness, otherwise it becomes this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzUMdLoMAqs#t=125
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth does have a few such "shit your pants" moments. In general it does have great pacing and variety. There are parts where you sneak around and hide, slow-paced atmospheric parts without any monsters, but also highly intense action sequences, where you fight or have to escape.

I think Horror games don't necessarily need invulnerable creatures, or completely useless protagonists ( Hello Outlast! ), but pacing is important and the enemies/monsters should feel like a threat. A common genre flaw is that they throw too many enemy encounters your way, and often they no longer feel dangerous, once you know how to deal with them. At that point the monsters are no longer horrific, they just turn into an annoyance.

I actually have a copy of Realms of the Haunting in my library here, but never played it. I received it during one of those Insomnia sales, I think. Probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but maybe I should give it a try some time.
high rated
The fact that you guys are releasing this with a fix for the Blue Light special is just .. amazing. I love GOG, I really do, because you guys incorporate the fixes that Steam releases ARE COMPATIBLE WITH BUT DON'T IMPLEMENT THEMSELVES. Thanks to Guzz for this, if he ever reads this, thumbs up man.

I remember playing this game back in 05, back then I knew nothing about Lovecraft. I was lent the game by a friend, and I liked the game so much that I bought it for PC and Xbox OG (and then later on again on Steam). Played through it a bunch of times, but when I transitioned to Vista .. to no one's surprise, I was distressed by the fact that the Blue Light special bug came to light. There were so many fan projects to fix it, but nothing ever come of it and it seemed hopeless. Then the DCOTE patch came out, and it did let us complete the game, but at the expense of completely ruining the Dagon boss fight.

So yeah, thank you for fixing this, as soon as I read that it was fixed I bought the game (for the fourth time now!), great price (cheaper than Steam), and it implements a fix for such a game breaking bug. It's too bad GOG doesn't fund games (ala Netflix), cause I'd love to see the originally planned Cthulhu sequels happen. Thanks though!
Post edited November 01, 2017 by Ixx
high rated
Note to the tech crew: I didn't encounter any bugs at all on my Win7 playthrough. That changed dramatically once I got to the last section of the Marsh Refinery (after you take the elevator back up). Now there's crashes aplenty. Crashes after loading screens, crashes after restarting the game and hitting continue, crashes after loading new levels, crashes during gameplay... I'm at the beginning of the following level and I got my first crash by cycling through my weapons. Also, the texture on my tommygun disappeared for some reason.