It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sanctuary is being sought/ Whispered prayers a last resort.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.
Ancient horrors constantly lurking in the corner of your eye. Mad cultists sacrificing their humanity in order to appease terrible gods. Your own sanity hanging by a thin, fleshy thread. H.P. Lovecraft's works come to life in all their soul-biting vigor as this 1920s story of survival horror unfolds. Will you dare see it to its bitter end?

NOTE: This version includes various small fixes, including: proper V-sync functionality, a fix for the triangle raindrops on AMD cards, and a custom-made fix provided by user Guzz, which allows the invisible sorcerers on the reef to appear properly, plus restores skybox rendering.
finkleroy: I'd like for a blue to explain why this game was removed from the site.
Klumpen0815: I'm with this theory:
deja65: Please tell me they ain't pulling another Re-volt on us.... I mean the game contains a truckload of thirdparty community fixes,and maybe some of it has not been given green light.
Klumpen0815:
Why a modder would get to have any say in this at all is beyond me. After all, they've been tinkering with other people's property without permission. It's nice that they fix other people's broken games, but that doesn't mean they have even the tiniest claim on any fixes they released. As much as I like to stand up for the little guy instead of the big evil publisher, but as far as mods are concerned, the creators/publishers of the game should be able to use all that stuff as they see fit. The modder can be happy if he gets a shout out in the readme file.
fronzelneekburm: Not really. I had plentiful crashes and corrupted savegames - those are a joy to have in a game that relies on a save point system, a real boon! - during the refinery and one crash at the beginning of the following level. I didn't have any crashes from then on, except for one instance where a savegame got corrupted during the level "The Esoteric Order Of Dagon". The reef bug is fixed.
Christ, that sounds horrible. I hate corrupted save games with a passion (surprise, surprise)! They're the reason I've had to stop playing the otherwise delightful Arx Fatalis as for unknown reasons every single saved game was corrupted by the latest save.
Post edited November 11, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
high rated
deja65: EDIT:Could you please give us a link to where the GOG staff member mentioned this removal?
Klumpen0815: Nope, it was in a chat.
So 6 community members went to GOG HQ...

... and still GOG can't be bothered to write a short post containing the (lack of) information that they don't mind passing on to a single user via chat. I understand that they probably can't tell us much (if anything at all) at this point but a simple notice about and apology for the (hopefully temporary) removal would be appreciated.
Klumpen0815: I'm with this theory:

Why a modder would get to have any say in this at all is beyond me. After all, they've been tinkering with other people's property without permission. It's nice that they fix other people's broken games, but that doesn't mean they have even the tiniest claim on any fixes they released. As much as I like to stand up for the little guy instead of the big evil publisher, but as far as mods are concerned, the creators/publishers of the game should be able to use all that stuff as they see fit. The modder can be happy if he gets a shout out in the readme file.
fronzelneekburm:
The modder's work is still their own original work even if they are modifying someone else's work. It could still be protected by copyright. Now there was a crack group that raised a big stink when GoG sold a game they cracked with their crack. The problem with that is the DMCA explicitly forbids cracks that are publicly distributed and you can't copyright something explicitly illegal. So the crackers were out of luck on that.
Ah fuck.... I read about this game becoming available in the middle of moving (so I didn't have internet), and now finally my internet is installed in my new home and the game is nowhere to be found :(

Just my fucking luck.
deleted
Fairfox: Imma Shirley-sure it will be back, becaaause it feels like its due to teh user patches? Unless thar be a game-breaking bug present 'n' they're all eek-in' it up a storm.

GOGie communication-stations suckin' balls, tho :/
NDA's are really tricky to work with you know ;).Cheers
tremere110: The modder's work is still their own original work even if they are modifying someone else's work.
Fair point, but doesn't modifying someone else's work already constitute copyright infringement (at least to some degree)?

Ever since the ReVolt debacle, I hate that sentiment among certain modders: Hey, I released an unofficial bugfix, now I'm pretty much entitled to the publisher seeing me as a business partner. That was actually the reaction on the ReVolt fan forum: gog pulled the game, now the Korean publisher HAS to listen to us! If you're a modder, why cause a stink over a company selling a game you claim to care about with your fix included? Why not just be happy about your fellow gamers getting the best possible experience by default? If you feel gog/Bethesda are being dicks for taking your work and not giving you credit, why not just bring it up in the forum? I think that's a better way to garner sympathy than getting a game pulled.
high rated
fronzelneekburm: Fair point, but doesn't modifying someone else's work already constitute copyright infringement (at least to some degree)?
Depends on the user agreement and license terms actually. So not as clear cut as that.
A company may allow the creation of mods, but ask that they can use them as well. Another company may give permission to mod and not care about rights themselves. A different company may not give any modding permission at all. A modder may be able to work because he has access to the source code, given to them under specific licensing, while another one may have the source code due to a data dump.
And let's not go over what happens when the original company that gave source code access and encouraged people to mod their games, but said they also wanted rights for said mods goes under, and the IP rights are distributed to others.
Count me as another person bummed that I didn't jump on it when it was launched.
Just found out that GoG have pulled this game from their catalogue without any announcement (except some vague, half-arsed thing somewhere else).

Poor customer service, GoG, poor customer service.
Ixamyakxim: Okay just redeemed and started to download.

There was just one file to download, with the label "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth" with a version 1 next to it (this is for the non-Galaxy installer).

Is this what it looked like for everyone who already downloaded it last week / before it was removed? I just want to make sure it's the patched / modded file (at least as far as we can tell by the name of the download).

*edit* In my download link the download it called "Setup... ... _1.0_(14415)"
That matches my downloaded archival copy from when it was released.
What the hell? I really wanted to buy this at some point. Come on GOG tell us what's going on here.
GOG sometimes has to pull things w/o warning, so that they don't take heat from a publisher's lawyers or something similarly damaging.
This game has the mark of Cthulhu on it and is cursed since its development !