It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Set off on a harrowing journey through desolation and despair, exploring the limits of human resilience. Amnesia: Rebirth is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM! In this bone-chilling adventure game, you take the role of Tasi Trianon, a woman waking up deep in the desert of Algeria. Carefully you must retrace your steps and pull together the fragments of your shattered past to survive the horror that threatens to devour you.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
So the game is called Rebirth, the woman in the banner is holding her abdomen. Lemme guess, she's going to give birth to an eldrith abomination? The old Amnesia game used to be more subtle than this.
Vythonaut: Spot on!
kmanitou: I couldn't believe how good they were as a live band last year, just pure chemistry and comfort.
That's nice; It's a good band, though i didn't follow them after Tuonela and, unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to see them live back then. I'll have to do a catch-up with them at some point.
Oooh exciting! I love Amnesia The Dark Descent! I hope this is better than A Machine For Pigs (I couldn't finish that one), but it's also nice to see Frictional at the helm again rather than another developer (no disrespect to The Chinese Room, I just couldn't get into A Machine For Pigs). Added it to my wishlist!
Post edited October 21, 2020 by OliverBagshaw
The game seems to have a lot of mixed reviews (only "Mostly Positive" and 3.5/5). Is the level of constant cutscene interruptions / endless non-stop narration / bugs really that bad? I don't recall that stuff in previous games (going back to the Penumbra's).
AB2012: The game seems to have a lot of mixed reviews (only "Mostly Positive" and 3.5/5). Is the level of constant cutscene interruptions / endless non-stop narration / bugs really that bad? I don't recall that stuff in previous games (going back to the Penumbra's).
At least they're honest about the constant talking in the trailers, but yeah, everything I've seen so far points to constant interruptions instead of natural gameplay. I also saw that there's a 15 fps mode for some reason? I'm not sure if it's some kind of meme or whatever. Still interested, but cautious.
wolfsite: Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdx9dxiJm4

From Gmanlives which can be good or bad depending on how you feel about his opinion.
Thanks for the link, I like Gmanlives' videos! I'm surprised he reviewed it so quickly, but I suppose if the game is that short then it makes sense to get the video review out quickly shortly after the game's release since it'll be trending. The way he talks about the game makes it sound flawed but still enjoyable, and a lot of the footage looks pretty interesting imo. I personally don't mind more cinematic games, I know they can dilute more natural gameplay, but sometimes I find it's enjoyable to play a game that holds my hand a little after a stressful day lol.
Post edited October 21, 2020 by OliverBagshaw
As someone who thinks there's too much pregnancy/birth propaganda within culture, I don't like how on-the-nose(not sure if this is the right phrase?) it is to have a "Press X to feel your baby" feature.
rjbuffchix: As someone who thinks there's too much pregnancy/birth propaganda within culture, I don't like how on-the-nose(not sure if this is the right phrase?) it is to have a "Press X to feel your baby" feature.
Did you mean anti-natalism?
rjbuffchix: As someone who thinks there's too much pregnancy/birth propaganda within culture, I don't like how on-the-nose(not sure if this is the right phrase?) it is to have a "Press X to feel your baby" feature.
kmanitou: Did you mean anti-natalism?
Sure, if you mean the general definition of assigning negative value to birth. Though someone need not identify as an antinatalist to believe that there are pregnancy and birth pressures within basically every culture in the world; indeed, there even exist proud parents (granted, not many) who sympathize with this position.

With this game it is hard for me to put into words, I really do think the phrase "on the nose" is probably the best approximation of what I'm trying to get it. Because generally I have no problem playing as a woman and don't mind playing as a pregnant woman in Cayne... I feel the style of portrayal is different.
kmanitou: Did you mean anti-natalism?
rjbuffchix: Sure, if you mean the general definition of assigning negative value to birth. Though someone need not identify as an antinatalist to believe that there are pregnancy and birth pressures within basically every culture in the world; indeed, there even exist proud parents (granted, not many) who sympathize with this position.

With this game it is hard for me to put into words, I really do think the phrase "on the nose" is probably the best approximation of what I'm trying to get it. Because generally I have no problem playing as a woman and don't mind playing as a pregnant woman in Cayne... I feel the style of portrayal is different.
Something tells me that the studio, and by extension this game, exemplify many aspects of today's New Sweden.
Press X to comfort yourself by bonding with the mixed-race baby.
i_ni: It's all turtles down there, your turn.
kmanitou: Is that a Bulgarian expression?
Rather not, alluding to "Turtles All the Way Down".
https://apilgriminnarnia.com/2014/03/26/turtles/ > search for [Terry Pratchett] "actually bumped into this idea"
kmanitou: Something tells me that the studio, and by extension this game, exemplify many aspects of today's New Sweden.
Press X to comfort yourself by bonding with the mixed-race baby.
What on earth does that have to do with the idea of antinatalism or my posts? When I said the style of portrayal is different, I meant in an artistic sense, not in a sense of "different race". Didn't mean for that to be a dog whistle.

Edit: Additionally, despite not liking "press x to comfort self/baby", I just looked at spoilers for the endings and I'm thinking now the use of the baby in the story is more artful than I originally believed. Cool, wishlisted.
Post edited October 22, 2020 by rjbuffchix
kmanitou: Is that a Bulgarian expression?
i_ni: Rather not, alluding to "Turtles All the Way Down".
https://apilgriminnarnia.com/2014/03/26/turtles/ > search for [Terry Pratchett] "actually bumped into this idea"
That's very cool, thanks.
"Amnesia: Rebirth not running on Windows 7 at first"

Luckily it was fixable by copying the .dll from here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/999220/discussions/0/4227150602817608623

Only took a few seconds, and then it ran perfectly. I just flag this up for anyone else on Win7.

--

I'm enjoying it so far, though it is a bit exposition (memory) heavy at the start - most things I click on or look at seem to trigger a pause in the game while a memory and picture shows (unlike System Shock 2 you can't move on without cancelling them). Plus it begins with caves, which are never the most exciting environment (Scanner Sombre did them well; and caves are still better than sewer levels). But I have moved on to a new environment and enjoying exploring it, and some of the skies and lighting and distant desert views are amazing.
kdgog: "Amnesia: Rebirth not running on Windows 7 at first"

Luckily it was fixable by copying the .dll from here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/999220/discussions/0/4227150602817608623

Only took a few seconds, and then it ran perfectly. I just flag this up for anyone else on Win7.

--

I'm enjoying it so far, though it is a bit exposition (memory) heavy at the start - most things I click on or look at seem to trigger a pause in the game while a memory and picture shows (unlike System Shock 2 you can't move on without cancelling them). Plus it begins with caves, which are never the most exciting environment (Scanner Sombre did them well; and caves are still better than sewer levels). But I have moved on to a new environment and enjoying exploring it, and some of the skies and lighting and distant desert views are amazing.
Can you remove the white dot?