It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Join 3 unlikely heroes on a quest to save their world in a retro-styled JRPG with polish and personality, that focuses less on references and more on telling a story. 8-Bit Adventures 1: The Forgotten Journey Remastered Edition is now available on GOG.COM with a 60% discount that will fade away on 16th August 2021, at 1 PM UTC.

Itching for even more virtual journeys into the unknown? We have good news – 8-Bit Adventures 2 is coming soon to GOG.COM!

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
MeowCanuck: I'm like 65% of the game through (currently at Queen's Palace after Blue Mage Tower). Answers to your questions:
Thank you very much for answering dtgreene's questions so thoroughly MeowCanuck - I sincerely appreciate it, and you did a better job than I could've! =D

I'm very sorry to hear about the fullscreen issues; I don't recall that ever happening to me before (jumping back and forth between windowed and fullscreen) and I couldn't recreate it just now on my end. By default RPG Maker XP (the engine 8-Bit Adventures 1 is made in) doesn't allow for an Options menu or fullscreen setting by default (for some reason), so they had to be grafted on, and the execution was very troublesome. Consequently, that's why the mouse cursor disappears in the F1 menu (it's an RPG Maker XP menu, so it's only designed to work in windowed mode - the mouse cursor that exists in the game window normally is actually being faked by the game, mimicking the otherwise invisible position of your actual mouse). I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience there and hope it doesn't cause too much trouble.

It doesn't help much right now, but I will say that the issues you brought up are addressed in 8-Bit Adventures 2 - we have 20 save slots, much better options menu (on the title screen and in-game), effortless full-screen, proper menus for remapping buttons, a mini-map that tracks your position on the World Map, and more clarity on landing zones for the Airship. Just so you know that they're things I'm aware of =)

Anyway, sorry for the trouble, but thanks again for taking the time to write such detailed answers MeowCanuck! =D

EDIT: And sorry for the double post! I had to split my reply into two messages for some reason.
Post edited August 14, 2021 by CriticalGames
Finished the game. Overall I had a very good time with this game and the story elements will hopefully be expanded on in the sequel.

CriticalGames: snip
Awesome, good to hear the sequel will solve this issue.

dtgreene: pinging
Update to my answers:

MeowCanuck: 1. How is the gameplay:story ratio? Do I actually get to play the game most of the time, or are there annoying cutscenes or other story bits?

You play most of the time. The gameplay:story ratio seems similar to FF2 or FF3. Main story cutscenes aren't more than a couple minutes. The story is pretty simple to understand so far, so even kids could understand it like FF2's story.
After the Queen's Palace in Pheopolis, there are a few 4-6 minute cutscenes of dialogue involving the plot and character development. I'm story focused so I don't mind it. And it helps set up the rest of the story and worldbuilding. Also presumably for what's to come in the sequel.

MeowCanuck: 4. How linear is the game? How difficult is it?

It's fairly linear. You get access to the airship pretty early so you can access parts of the world you shouldn't have access to for battles (e.g., FF1's Power of Peninsula, FF2's Mysidia monsters at the start of the game), but some locations are blocked until you work on the main story.
After ~40% of the game, the game opens up to some extent. Though as I've mentioned before, some islands can't be landed on with the airship. Right after the Queen's Palace sequence, you have to visit the Factory again to gain access to another effective airship. This'll let you travel around to all the islands to complete the rest of the sidequests. I wish these islands were initially covered with a dusted haze so you can instantly tell which islands you can and can't land on. This airship clears up all the dusty terrains anyway. But oh well.

After a certain level, you can get through most of the game and sidequests pretty easily. Although the final boss did throw in a few surprises even though I was overleveled.
Post edited August 14, 2021 by MeowCanuck
CriticalGames: Thank you very much DarkBattler! I'm glad that passion comes through, even in forum posts =)

We will definitely be doing a full release of all 78 tracks from 8-Bit Adventures 2 (plus 7 orchestrated songs), so that's wonderful to hear!

I spoke to Sebastian about this, and while he was more than happy to update the 8-Bit Adventures 1 soundtrack to a lossless format, it would require some time and work, and since he's just landed a new job this past week he's quite busy. So I shared your kind response, and I told him not to worry about it. However, as a result of your interest, we'll make sure to deliver a lossless version of the 8-Bit Adventures 2 soundtrack when that comes out, and possibly revisit the 8-Bit Adventures 1 soundtrack in future. Is that okay?

Oh, and he also said that we probably just went MP3 out of force of habit, so there wasn't any technical reason he could remember. Just in case you were curious - sorry, that's my faulty memory on that one XD

Thanks again for all the kind words and interest DarkBattler! If you want to hear some 8-Bit Adventures 2 samples, you can check out our SoundCloud here: https://soundcloud.com/8bitadventures2
Knowing that the 8-Bit Adventures 2 soundtrack will be released in a lossless format is great news. Not only will I be purchasing the game the day it is released, but I will also be the first person in the world to buy it, you can be sure of that!
Also, I would be more than happy if you update the soundtrack of the first game in the future, as I cannot get sick of it. It simply is too good, and it would become even better, more enjoyable for me.

About that, you do not have to ask me if I am okay with the way you will release or re-release these soundtracks. You do not owe me anything.
Because of the language barrier, I never know how what I say will be perceived, especially since I am quite clumsy with the english language, but I want to make it clear that I have absolutely no demands whatsoever. If anything I said came out this way, I apologise.

I listened to all the samples you have uploaded on SoundCloud and I can say that you hired the right person for the job. Those tracks are amazing! At first, I wanted to tell you which ones I prefered, but then realised that I would have left out only a couple of them. "World Map Theme", for exemple, is not amongst my favourites, and I still think it is good. Great even, but unfortunately, it came after "Ruined Factory Remix", "Mystery Theme 4", "The Arena Theme" or "Niveus", to name a few, which are incredible, each one in its own way.

However, I find it quite cruel of you to share these, because I need the entire soundtrack, now.
Sebastian definitely knows what he is doing.

I will stop praising the music of the game now, as it must be very frustrating for you.
I installed the game and I will play it as soon as I am done with the one I am currently playing. I cannot wait, since it is a long time since I last played an old school RPG like that.
I'm really sorry MeowCanuck and DarkBattler - somehow I missed your replies last month! Apologies for the late reply, but I still wanted to respond. Busy couple of weeks!

MeowCanuck: Finished the game. Overall I had a very good time with this game and the story elements will hopefully be expanded on in the sequel.

Awesome, good to hear the sequel will solve this issue.

Although the final boss did throw in a few surprises even though I was overleveled.
I'm really happy to hear that MeowCanuck! Thank you very much for the kind words. You can be sure of that - lots of expansion (and new ideas) in the sequel!

If you did all of the sidequests and had the ultimate weapons and armour you acquired from those sidequests equipped, you fight a more powerful version of the final boss (like how in FFVII, if you get to level 99 or have Knights of the Round, you fight a much stronger version of Sephiroth at the end of the game), so that might be why it was still a challenge.

DarkBattler: Knowing that the 8-Bit Adventures 2 soundtrack will be released in a lossless format is great news. Not only will I be purchasing the game the day it is released, but I will also be the first person in the world to buy it, you can be sure of that!
Also, I would be more than happy if you update the soundtrack of the first game in the future, as I cannot get sick of it. It simply is too good, and it would become even better, more enjoyable for me.

About that, you do not have to ask me if I am okay with the way you will release or re-release these soundtracks. You do not owe me anything.
Because of the language barrier, I never know how what I say will be perceived, especially since I am quite clumsy with the english language, but I want to make it clear that I have absolutely no demands whatsoever. If anything I said came out this way, I apologise.

I listened to all the samples you have uploaded on SoundCloud and I can say that you hired the right person for the job. Those tracks are amazing! At first, I wanted to tell you which ones I prefered, but then realised that I would have left out only a couple of them. "World Map Theme", for exemple, is not amongst my favourites, and I still think it is good. Great even, but unfortunately, it came after "Ruined Factory Remix", "Mystery Theme 4", "The Arena Theme" or "Niveus", to name a few, which are incredible, each one in its own way.

However, I find it quite cruel of you to share these, because I need the entire soundtrack, now.
Sebastian definitely knows what he is doing.

I will stop praising the music of the game now, as it must be very frustrating for you.
I installed the game and I will play it as soon as I am done with the one I am currently playing. I cannot wait, since it is a long time since I last played an old school RPG like that.
Thank you so, so much DarkBattler! That really means a lot to hear, so I sincerely appreciate it. And I'm really happy you've enjoyed the first game's soundtrack so much! I never get tired of it either =D

That's very kind of you to say, but while nothing may be owed in the literal sense, I do think developers have an obligation to provide the best possible product to players - and your request is only encouraging a better release =) Please don't worry - your English is perfect, and nothing came across as demanding at all. I just want to make players happy if I can, so I wanted to get your feelings on the approach I listed. It's all good!

I'm so glad you liked the sample tracks too! Yes, I definitely lucked out in finding Sebastian; I really couldn't have asked for a better composer (or teammate!). Haha, I can understand that. I love the World Map theme myself because of the use of FF3-style instrumentation and the vibe it provides in game, but the sample cut wasn't quite perfect on my part, and some of the other songs *really* go hard XD Actually, Niveus is getting an orchestral arrangement on piano as well - just since you highlighted that one! ;)

Haha, sorry, sorry - but I think the wait will be worth it!

Not frustrating at all; it's a massive compliment and incredibly gratifying! I'll be sure to share what you said with Sebastian too. If you've checked out 8-Bit Adventures 1 since we last spoke, I hope you've enjoyed it. But regardless, thank you so much for all the kind words! I can't wait to share more music with you in the future =D
CriticalGames: I'm really sorry MeowCanuck and DarkBattler - somehow I missed your replies last month! Apologies for the late reply, but I still wanted to respond. Busy couple of weeks!
Do not worry about it. I cannot speak for MeowCanuck, but I did not think you would be answering the posts in this thread until the end of time. Also, I think the forums are a little bit to blame here. I was very busy these past few weeks too, but I would have seen your response earlier myself if I had been notified...

CriticalGames: Thank you so, so much DarkBattler! That really means a lot to hear, so I sincerely appreciate it. And I'm really happy you've enjoyed the first game's soundtrack so much! I never get tired of it either =D

That's very kind of you to say, but while nothing may be owed in the literal sense, I do think developers have an obligation to provide the best possible product to players - and your request is only encouraging a better release =) Please don't worry - your English is perfect, and nothing came across as demanding at all. I just want to make players happy if I can, so I wanted to get your feelings on the approach I listed. It's all good!

I'm so glad you liked the sample tracks too! Yes, I definitely lucked out in finding Sebastian; I really couldn't have asked for a better composer (or teammate!). Haha, I can understand that. I love the World Map theme myself because of the use of FF3-style instrumentation and the vibe it provides in game, but the sample cut wasn't quite perfect on my part, and some of the other songs *really* go hard XD Actually, Niveus is getting an orchestral arrangement on piano as well - just since you highlighted that one! ;)

Haha, sorry, sorry - but I think the wait will be worth it!

Not frustrating at all; it's a massive compliment and incredibly gratifying! I'll be sure to share what you said with Sebastian too. If you've checked out 8-Bit Adventures 1 since we last spoke, I hope you've enjoyed it. But regardless, thank you so much for all the kind words! I can't wait to share more music with you in the future =D
It is nice of you to say that my english is perfect, but I must disagree on this one.
It is often completely broken and I hesitate way too much when I write something.
At least, I'm having fun doing it.

I am very glad Niveus is getting a piano arrangement. I think it is the first instrument I thought of when I first listened to this track. The glockenspiel and the Cristal Baschet are the two others I thought of. They have a very "icy" sound, but unlike the piano, they are not very versatile. Anyway, I feel like I say that way too much, but I cannot wait to hear it.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to check out 8-Bit Adventures 1 yet.
It will definitely be the next game I play, but I have been very busy for some weeks now, and the game I am playing right now, a game titled Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, is so captivating that I cannot let go of it.
However, I believe I saved right before the last boss, so it should not take me long before I finish it and get to jump on 8-Bit Adventures 1!

I do not know if you will be notified of this post or not, but if you happen to read it, thank you very much for your responses in this thread, they were very helpful. Good luck to you with 8-Bit Adventures 2. I hope it will be successful.
CriticalGames: I'm really sorry MeowCanuck and DarkBattler - somehow I missed your replies last month! Apologies for the late reply, but I still wanted to respond. Busy couple of weeks!
DarkBattler: Do not worry about it. I cannot speak for MeowCanuck, but I did not think you would be answering the posts in this thread until the end of time. Also, I think the forums are a little bit to blame here. I was very busy these past few weeks too, but I would have seen your response earlier myself if I had been notified...

It is nice of you to say that my english is perfect, but I must disagree on this one.
It is often completely broken and I hesitate way too much when I write something.
At least, I'm having fun doing it.

I am very glad Niveus is getting a piano arrangement. I think it is the first instrument I thought of when I first listened to this track. The glockenspiel and the Cristal Baschet are the two others I thought of. They have a very "icy" sound, but unlike the piano, they are not very versatile. Anyway, I feel like I say that way too much, but I cannot wait to hear it.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to check out 8-Bit Adventures 1 yet.
It will definitely be the next game I play, but I have been very busy for some weeks now, and the game I am playing right now, a game titled Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, is so captivating that I cannot let go of it.
However, I believe I saved right before the last boss, so it should not take me long before I finish it and get to jump on 8-Bit Adventures 1!

I do not know if you will be notified of this post or not, but if you happen to read it, thank you very much for your responses in this thread, they were very helpful. Good luck to you with 8-Bit Adventures 2. I hope it will be successful.
Thanks DarkBattler =) Yeah, unfortunately I don't seem to get notified either...Ah well. I'm glad you saw my response, anyway!

Well hey, I can only speak one language myself, so you're way ahead of me. And honestly, every message I've seen from you on here, your English really is spot on (I wouldn't guess it was your second language) =D

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! Having heard it myself, I really feel like the piano is a perfect fit. I hope you'll really enjoy it once the soundtrack comes out!

Haha, no worries at all - I know what that's like. The main thing is that you're enjoying what you're playing right now! I hadn't heard of Arcanum before, but wow, that looks like a really awesome classic PC RPG - the kind I haven't played in a very long time. I'll have to check it out sometime. Good luck taking down that final boss! ;)

I unfortunately didn't get notified this time either, but I thought to check the forum thread, so it all worked out. It's my genuine pleasure DarkBattler - thank you so much for your messages and very kind support! I really do appreciate it. Please keep an eye out for 8-Bit Adventures 2 in future =D

Have a great end of your week!
~Josh