It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Re-enter the Arcade.

Say goodbye to your allowance! 8 essential SNK NEO GEO classics are now available, DRM-free on GOG.com.

Join us as we take a closer look at the shiny new cabinets around the GOG.com Arcade.

-In the side-scrolling beat em'up SENGOKU 3, you'll pick your character and join a ninja clan that fights against an evil emperor, then proceed to dispense justice in the form of complex combo chains and unique special attacks.

-REAL BOUT FATAL FURY 2: THE NEWCOMERS is a stylish fighting game where you duel it out until you're the last man standing from its formidable roster of skilled martial artists.

-PULSTAR is a frantic shmup set in the distant future, where a lone pilot may be humanity's only hope to survive the overwhelming alien forces that decimated Earth.

-ART OF FIGHTING 2, the game which introduced the "rage gauge" to the series is widely celebrated for its hard-as-nails A.I. that will make you work for each K.O.

-Want to take two strokes off your golf game? Pick one of six available players and go practicing in the NEO TURF MASTERS' courses, located in Australia, Japan, USA, and Germany.

-Top-down bullet hell action is the way to go if you want to stop the evil terrorist organization DIO in SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD. The game also supports GOG Galaxy features, like multiplayer, achievements, cloud saves and more.

-Introducing new systems to customize your fights and fighters, GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES remains one of the most celebrated games in the Fatal Fury series. Comes with implemented GOG Galaxy features, as well.

-IRONCLAD is a horizontal shmup where your trusted high tech ship stands as the resistance's best hope of stopping the invading Iron Mask Republic.

Everything is -50%, or -75% when you complete a game pack ( SNK Fighting Pack, SNK Action Pack, SNK Arcade Pack) each chock-full of new arrivals and greats from the METAL SLUG, SAMURAI SHODOWN, FATAL FURY, THE KING OF FIGHTERS cabinets and more.

The GOG.com SNK Arcade never closes – but the special offers will only be around until October 9, 10 PM UTC.
ReynardFox: Sorry I missed this one because GOG's notification system is not always up to snuff. From what I've seen (i'm not willing to make another purchase to find out) most of the GOG games are near-identical to the Humble releases, complete with missing keybinding, some (Like Metal Slug 3) have been updated to allow rebinds but have had their intros and menus hacked out and replaced with low quality static artwork, also for some reason The Last Blade is an entirely different port to the rest complete with obnoxious border graphics, hacked out intros but still has the same poorly scaled pixels.

All of them run like crap though, in fact, performance for me for all the games I originally purchased was significantly worse than the HB releases.
Thank you very much for the confirmation. I wasn't exactly expecting a different answer, but one never knows.

A shame that after GOG's success with older titles (where GOG actually put in the effort), the trend is now to just peddle least-effort-required "ports." Annoying as hell. I do wish GOG would have been given a chance to get the games ported properly.
inox: Both of these games have GOG Galaxy implementation (multi-player, invites, achievements etc.). These features are available only in Windows versions. Therefore listing those games as available for all platforms could give users an impression that they will be able to benefit from these features on Mac and Linux - which is, unfortunately, not true.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thank you! It indeed helps to understand the mind behind GOG's "fully optional client" dogma even more. So from now on games, where the Windows version supports Galaxy features, do not get official support for their Linux version anymore? Really?

Just in case you do not know it, you already have dozens of games with Galaxy features and an officially supported Linux version in your catalog. You may want to remove these officially supported Linux versions too. ;)
Lukaszmik: ...
The ROI might not be worth it for GOG. I assume they'd have to put a lot of time and money into porting these games properly, and they might think it's unlikely they'd make enough money back to justify the effort.

Why not just play the MAME versions that ReynardFox has been raving about?
Post edited October 12, 2017 by tfishell
inox: Both of these games have GOG Galaxy implementation (multi-player, invites, achievements etc.). These features are available only in Windows versions. Therefore listing those games as available for all platforms could give users an impression that they will be able to benefit from these features on Mac and Linux - which is, unfortunately, not true.

Hope this helps a bit.
The discoverability of these SNK games is greatly reduced for Linux users as searching for them using your sites filter set to "Linux" currently excludes them.

The SNK games effected are:
METAL SLUG
METAL SLUG 2
METAL SLUG 3
METAL SLUG X
SHOCK TROOPERS: 2ND SQUAD
SHOCK TROOPERS
THE LAST BLADE
GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
WINKLE STAR SPRITES
BASEBALL STARS 2

Additionally King of fighters 2000's GOG store page only lists "Works on Windows (7-10)" and does not mention a Linux version in it's "Included Goodies".

However it does list system requirements of "Linux: Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 or newer" and there is a Linux version provided on my GOG account's download section for the game. So I'm guessing this is an oversight since the game actually does have a Linux release.

I do appreciate GOG's attitude on this matter though. Many companies would just be like: "Sell it, who cares if all the features aren't functional." so I have a lot of respect for you making sure the customer gets the experience that they're paying for.

Personally I'd be happy if there was just a note on the store page that mentioned the Linux version not "currently" having Galaxy support and which features that will effect.

blotunga: Maybe it's time to release a Linux version of Galaxy?:)
That would be most welcome! ^_^
Post edited October 12, 2017 by SpellSword

Hope this helps a bit.
SpellSword: The discoverability of these SNK games is greatly reduced for Linux users as searching for them using your sites filter set to "Linux" currently excludes them.

The SNK games effected are:
METAL SLUG
METAL SLUG 2
METAL SLUG 3
METAL SLUG X
SHOCK TROOPERS: 2ND SQUAD
SHOCK TROOPERS
THE LAST BLADE
GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
WINKLE STAR SPRITES
BASEBALL STARS 2

Additionally King of fighters 2000's GOG store page only lists "Works on Windows (7-10)" and does not mention a Linux version in it's "Included Goodies".

However it does list system requirements of "Linux: Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 or newer" and there is a Linux version provided on my GOG account's download section for the game. So I'm guessing this is an oversight since the game actually does have a Linux release.

I do appreciate GOG's attitude on this matter though. Many companies would just be like: "Sell it, who cares if all the features aren't functional." so I have a lot of respect for you making sure the customer gets the experience that they're paying for.

Personally I'd be happy if there was just a note on the store page that mentioned the Linux version not "currently" having Galaxy support and which features that will effect.

SpellSword: That would be most welcome! ^_^
Heya,

With regard to King of fighters 2000 you're 100% right, this was an oversight on my end. Apologies, and thanks a million for pointing that out ;)

Cheers!
Judging by the recent direction of windows platform (so many releases having some features tied to galaxy, makes me almost wonder when will be the first which will not work w/o galaxy at all, I mean the base offline single player, which *can* work, not mentioning things like MP, where it can be done, but somebody would have to)....

I'm not that much looking for it to happen.

Also considering the trouble they have to port it, it's probably not very modular and well designed in the first place, and running it may over time bring back those windows memories (I mean crashing applications, resource hog, etc..).

Then again, I think these worries are very premature, as there's no galaxy client on the horizon at all. :)

inox: ....
@GOG: maybe add some half-baked-linux platform icon, so you can mention it with all those games which will be limited without galaxy client? And people can then filter by platform, whether they are interested only into full releases, or also the limited ones. (I don't mind the limited ones at all, as long as the core game works well, I prefer native binaries over wine any time (if it works)).
Post edited October 12, 2017 by ped7g
tfishell: The ROI might not be worth it for GOG. I assume they'd have to put a lot of time and money into porting these games properly, and they might think it's unlikely they'd make enough money back to justify the effort.
Possibly, though in its beginnings GOG did not seem to have a problem working on even more obscure titles.

tfishell: Why not just play the MAME versions that ReynardFox has been raving about?
Would be nice to show there is still a market for GOOD ports of oldies. Might help get us some more of them if rights holders see there's till money in it.

Unfortunately, it seems they do see that, but not the need to actually do a good job at it, because why impact the Holy Profit$

Also, convenience sake, though I do download all my GOG installers anyway... so it's more of a mental thing than anything else.

ped7g: I'm not that much looking for it to happen.
Neither am I.

I actually wrote GOG support very early on with some suggestions for improving the GOG Downloader (main argument was making it an option for it to check stored files if anything needed update), but this "integration" of Galaxy features coupled with EULA that makes data collection a fait accompli turned me completely against Galaxy.

When time comes that GOG requires it for accessing any new purchases (and heavens forbid if they lock access to previously bought games behind it), I will think twice about making a purchase here. Despite having been a vehement proponent of GOG in its infancy.

Funny how money changes things. When things started, GOG was awesome - no filler, quick and simple. Now we have regional pricing, "do-not-call-it-DRM" games requiring online access (at least these are very rare), games with Galaxy requirement... eh.

ped7g: Also considering the trouble they have to port it, it's probably not very modular and well designed in the first place, and running it may over time bring back those windows memories (I mean crashing applications, resource hog, etc..).

Then again, I think these worries are very premature, as there's no galaxy client on the horizon at all. :)
GOG Downloader has long not been supported. It works, for now, but it's anybody's guess for how long.

Galaxy requirement is slowly creeping in new titles. As soon as web-page download option is gone... well. "This is not my favorite digital store on the internet" :(
SpellSword: The discoverability of these SNK games is greatly reduced for Linux users as searching for them using your sites filter set to "Linux" currently excludes them.
There are already a lot of games with Galaxy features where the Linux version is officially supported and listed in the catalog. Suddenly not listing Linux versions anymore certainly is the worst "solution" GOG could come up with.

SpellSword: Personally I'd be happy if there was just a note on the store page that mentioned the Linux version not "currently" having Galaxy support and which features that will effect.
The new feature list on the game card already wastes so much space that there's enough space to just add a remark to the features which are available on Windows only, without a problem.

Not by everyone! I prefer Galaxy free games, on all platforms. :P
Post edited October 15, 2017 by eiii