It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

JudasIscariot: But they do have the RU discount so there's that caveat.
That's a separate issue to me these days. No arbitrarily higher prices for anyone is the main thing; I'm less concerned that some people get a bonus discount.
JudasIscariot: But they do have the RU discount so there's that caveat.
IAmSinistar: That's a separate issue to me these days. No arbitrarily higher prices for anyone is the main thing; I'm less concerned that some people get a bonus discount.
I see it a bit differently.

If Europe, UK, Australia, and/or the former Soviet Union all have lower prices that the baseline, I would say we are having arbitrarily higher prices for:

United Arab Emirates (AE), Afghanistan (AF), Antigua and Barbuda (AG), Anguilla (AI), Albania (AL), Angola (AO), American Samoa (AS), Aruba (AW), Bosnia and Herzegovina (BA), Barbados (BB), Bangladesh (BD), Burkina Faso (BF), Bahrain (BH), Burundi (BI), Benin (BJ), Saint Barthélemy (BL), Bermuda (BM), Brunei Darussalam (BN), Bahamas (BS), Bhutan (BT), Botswana (BW), Belize (BZ), Canada (CA), Cocos (Keeling) Islands (CC), Congo, the Democratic Republic of the (CD), Central African Republic (CF), Côte d'Ivoire (CI), Cook Islands (CK), Cameroon (CM), China (CN), Cabo Verde (CV), Christmas Island (CX), Djibouti (DJ), Dominica (DM), Algeria (DZ), Egypt (EG), Western Sahara (EH), Eritrea (ER), Ethiopia (ET), Fiji (FJ), Falkland Islands (Malvinas) (FK), Micronesia, Federated States of (FM), Faroe Islands (FO), Gabon (GA), Grenada (GD), Georgia (GE), French Guiana (GF), Guernsey (GG), Ghana (GH), Gibraltar (GI), Greenland (GL), Gambia (GM), Guinea (GN), Guadeloupe (GP), Equatorial Guinea (GQ), Guam (GU), Guinea-Bissau (GW), Guyana (GY), Hong Kong (HK), Indonesia (ID), Israel (IL), Isle of Man (IM), India (IN), British Indian Ocean Territory (IO), Iraq (IQ), Iran, Islamic Republic of (IR), Jersey (JE), Jamaica (JM), Jordan (JO), Japan (JP), Kenya (KE), Cambodia (KH), Kiribati (KI), Comoros (KM), Saint Kitts and Nevis (KN), Korea, Democratic People's Republic of (KP), Korea, Republic of (KR), Kuwait (KW), Cayman Islands (KY), Lao People's Democratic Republic (LA), Lebanon (LB), Saint Lucia (LC), Sri Lanka (LK), Liberia (LR), Lesotho (LS), Libya (LY), Morocco (MA), Montenegro (ME), Saint Martin (French part) (MF), Madagascar (MG), Marshall Islands (MH), Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of (MK), Mali (ML), Myanmar (MM), Mongolia (MN), Macao (MO), Northern Mariana Islands (MP), Martinique (MQ), Mauritania (MR), Montserrat (MS), Mauritius (MU), Maldives (MV), Malawi (MW), Malaysia (MY), Mozambique (MZ), Namibia (NA), New Caledonia (NC), Niger (NE), Norfolk Island (NF), Nigeria (NG), Nepal (NP), Nauru (NR), Niue (NU), Oman (OM), French Polynesia (PF), Papua New Guinea (PG), Philippines (PH), Pakistan (PK), Saint Pierre and Miquelon (PM), Pitcairn (PN), Palestine, State of (PS), Palau (PW), Qatar (QA), Réunion (RE), Serbia (RS), Rwanda (RW), Saudi Arabia (SA), Solomon Islands (SB), Seychelles (SC), Sudan (SD), Singapore (SG), Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha (SH), Sierra Leone (SL), Senegal (SN), Somalia (SO), Suriname (SR), Sao Tome and Principe (ST), Syrian Arab Republic (SY), Swaziland (SZ), Turks and Caicos Islands (TC), Chad (TD), Togo (TG), Thailand (TH), Tokelau (TK), Timor-Leste (TL), Tunisia (TN), Tonga (TO), Turkey (TR), Trinidad and Tobago (TT), Tuvalu (TV), Taiwan, Province of China (TW), Tanzania, United Republic of (TZ), Uganda (UG), United States Minor Outlying Islands (UM), United States (US), Holy See (Vatican City State) (VA), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (VC), Virgin Islands, British (VG), Virgin Islands, U.S. (VI), Viet Nam (VN), Vanuatu (VU), Wallis and Futuna (WF), Samoa (WS), Yemen (YE), Mayotte (YT), South Africa (ZA), Zambia (ZM), Zimbabwe (ZW)
Post edited January 30, 2015 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: I see it a bit differently.

If Europe, UK, Australia, and/or the former Soviet Union all have lower prices that the baseline, I would say we are having arbitrarily higher prices for:
One could look at it that way as well, but my perspective is more that there is a standard price and for some reason a few folks have managed to finagle a discount.

As an example, imagine a cafeteria where everyone pays the same price, but there is a small group of folks who are in cahoots with the manager and thus get rung up lower at the register whenever they shop there. To me the price they pay isn't the regular price, but a special favour price that only they get. If they stopped shopping there the prices wouldn't change. Nor would the manager suddenly change everyone's prices to what those folks pay, because it's not economically viable to extend the same special consideration across the board.

Is it fair? No. Is it the way of the world whenever humans are involved? Oh yes.
mrkgnao: I see it a bit differently.

IAmSinistar: One could look at it that way as well, but my perspective is more that there is a standard price and for some reason a few folks have managed to finagle a discount.

As an example, imagine a cafeteria where everyone pays the same price, but there is a small group of folks who are in cahoots with the manager and thus get rung up lower at the register whenever they shop there. To me the price they pay isn't the regular price, but a special favour price that only they get. If they stopped shopping there the prices wouldn't change. Nor would the manager suddenly change everyone's prices to what those folks pay, because it's not economically viable to extend the same special consideration across the board.

Is it fair? No. Is it the way of the world whenever humans are involved? Oh yes.
The only reason I object to regional pricing is because it unfairly favours or penalises a subset of the populace. I don't care which subset it is.

Given an alternative, I would readily boycott the cafeteria you describe.
Phew, good thing it was just a bug... Though these bugs make it even harder to keep track, and it wasn't easy to begin with :p

As for the discounts, there is that issue with how far they reach. If it's just for a few countries, I'm largely all right with it. Don't agree with the way it's done (and don't see how it could be done properly), but largely shrug it off.
Once you have the usual suspects plus Australia, and the Eurozone, and maybe the UK as well, it is admittedly rather odd, however. Then again, so far I don't think there's any where that discount is significant, basically being an exchange rate artefact caused by the fact that prices are entered in the various currencies separately instead of being automatically converted as they should be. (Which, of course, also applies to a few cases where the prices are higher, sometimes by as little as 10 cents now. But those irk me because, well, they're higher than the standard.)
If we will end up with a significant number of AUS/EU/UK-discounted games, it will be a bigger issue though, just for mrkgnao's reasoning.
Post edited January 30, 2015 by Cavalary
mrkgnao: The only reason I object to regional pricing is because it unfairly favours or penalises a subset of the populace. I don't care which subset it is.

Given an alternative, I would readily boycott the cafeteria you describe.
Fair enough. And I don't care for prejudicial pricing either, regardless in which direction it flows. I just find it easier to soothe my qualms when I perceive the pricing as erring towards the charitable, rather than towards the exploitative. It is still an inequitable system either way, since it makes broad and often unfounded economic assumptions about a heterogeneous consumer group.
Well, since the Canadian dollar is going for a shit, I'm waiting to see us Canucks get a 'CDN discount' on GOG games... :P
From MaGog's logs for 30 January:

Following GOG's correction of its King's Bounty pricing bug of yesterday, the three King's Bounty: Dark Side and the three King's Bounty: Warriors of the North are now regionally priced only in RU (former Soviet Union).
Post edited February 03, 2015 by mrkgnao
From MaGog's logs for 3 February:

NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault, reg_price_ru: undef ***TO*** 3.59
NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault, regional_str: undef ***TO*** RU,
NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance, reg_price_ru: undef ***TO*** 3.59
NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance, regional_str: undef ***TO*** RU,

Both Massive Assault games are regionally priced in RU (former Soviet Union), costing $3.59 instead of $9.99. Two more to add to both lists.

P.S. Apotheon is, as yet, not regionally priced.
Post edited February 03, 2015 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 3 February:

NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance, reg_price_ru: undef ***TO*** 3.59
NOTE! CHANGED Massive Assault: Phantom Renaissance, regional_str: undef ***TO*** RU,

Both Massive Assault games are regionally priced in RU (former Soviet Union), costing $3.59 instead of $9.99. Two more to add to both lists.
Thanks, games added.
mrkgnao: From MaGog's logs for 3 February:

IAmSinistar: Thanks, games added.
Forgot to mention that these two games are the oldest games (2003, 2005) in the catalogue to be regionally priced. The previous record was held by Penumbra (2007). Moving there...
IAmSinistar: Thanks, games added.
mrkgnao: Forgot to mention that these two games are the oldest games (2003, 2005) in the catalogue to be regionally priced. The previous record was held by Penumbra (2007). Moving there...
Yeah, but they are new releases on gog so its not strange that they are regionally priced.
mrkgnao: [...]

P.S. Apotheon is, as yet, not regionally priced.
If Judas post is anything to go by, it won't be regionally priced.
mrkgnao: Forgot to mention that these two games are the oldest games (2003, 2005) in the catalogue to be regionally priced. The previous record was held by Penumbra (2007). Moving there...
Matruchus: Yeah, but they are new releases on gog so its not strange that they are regionally priced.
Au contraire, until now (with the exception of the Mount & Blade series) all the newly-added, regionally-priced games were very new (2012+). These two are the first significantly old games (9-11 years) to be regionally priced.
mrkgnao: These two are the first significantly old games (9-11 years) to be regionally priced.
Let's hope this is not a bad omen ;-)