It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

dtgreene: Suppose you have a game that can either play in 640x480 resolution with 16 colors, or in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. Between those modes, which video mode would you choose? (Historically, there was a time when these were the top-of-the-line video resolutions; hence why one would have had to make this choice in the past.)
Would be easier to decide if you had some exemplary screenshots for comparison, but I think I would go for 320x200 with 256 colors. Colors can make a huge difference in pixel graphics, so I think a lower resolution VGA might actually look less pixelated or just as good as a higher resolution EGA. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, many popular DOS games from the early 90's and many AGS indie adventure games use a 320x200 resolution with 256 colors and I'm fine with how they look.

Question: Did you ever play a game based on licensed material (a book, a movie, comics etc.) that you thought better than the original? If so, which one(s)?
dtgreene: Suppose you have a game that can either play in 640x480 resolution with 16 colors, or in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. Between those modes, which video mode would you choose? (Historically, there was a time when these were the top-of-the-line video resolutions; hence why one would have had to make this choice in the past.)
IIRC the PC version of Populous 2 did that, and there I preferred the higher resolution.
Leroux: Question: Did you ever play a game based on licensed material (a book, a movie, comics etc.) that you thought better than the original? If so, which one(s)?
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Ok, it wasn't based on a movie and there isn't a movie based on the game - but it's a lot better than the Crystal Skull.

Question: Have you stopped buying new AAA games, for other reasons than DRM. When and why?
teceem: Question: Have you stopped buying new AAA games, for other reasons than DRM. When and why?
I haven't bought anything above €40 from a AAA publisher since 2015.

Other than because of frustrations with intrusive and/or game breaking DRM, I'm just tired of how the biggest AAA publishers are doing things. I don't like how companies like EA have absorbed what used to be great developers, and turned them into something entirely different and unrecognisable, or killed them entirely.

There's also a lot of practices I loathe about these companies. The insistence on sacrificing focus on what are (or could be) great single-player games, to force in multi-player content so they can then incorporate microtransactions as a cash grab. Likewise, cutting content out of games and then selling it as DLC as another cash grab.

For those reasons, I vote with my wallet. In that period of time, for what four or five AAA releases might have cost me, I've bought just over 100 games here on GOG, with an mixture of older classics and newer indie productions. Indeed, I only ever buy games here nowadays.

---

Q: What are your hopes for the future of the gaming industry?
Post edited March 09, 2018 by HeathGCF
HeathGCF: Q: What are your hopes for the future of the gaming industry?
Mostly I hope that the experience of successful indy devs helps many more indy devs succeed. There are lots of folks with good ideas, there are lots of talented artists... But to be successful in the gaming world, there are also business lessons to be learned. Iron Tower has written well about their experience. So has Alexis Whatsisname who did Sunless Seas, so have others. There are some really elegant and surprising and delightful games out there because of all the money flying around gaming these days. That money won't always be there, and I'd really like to see more of the quality indipendent devs survive and thrive and keep on creating.

Q: What game do you really like to play but you just suck at it? All these years trying and you still just really suck at it. May or may not kill your enjoyment of the game.
RedWolf9000:
Serious question

Is there any reason at all to use a console instead of PC other then maybe not being able to wait for exsclusvies to come to PC or exclusvies that don't come to PC.
dtgreene: The way I see it, in the present, not really.

Historically, however, there were some good reasons to use consoles.

* In ancient times, computer games tended to be distributed on floppy disks; this meant long load times and having to switch disks (because the capacity of a floppy disk is very limited). Consoles, however, stored their games on cartridges, which had very fast load times, and, unlike floppies, would increase in capacity over time.

* Then came hard drives, which took away some of the advantages that consoles had. However, a PC game would still need to be installed to take advantage of them, and hard drives, while much faster for loading, were still slower than cartridges.

* Then came CD-ROMs, giving PC games access to much more storage space, and in theory, fewer disc changes. Consoles still had the advantage of faster load times.

* Then, some consoles threw away their load time advantage by switching to CD-ROMs. At this point, the only real advantage that consoles had was that you didn't have to worry about installing or configuring games before you could play them. Some console games even started to require disc changes.

* Then came internet connections. PCs got them first, and then they came to consoles. With internet, combined with console hard drives, consoles lost their zero configuration advantage, and therefore no longer have a real advantage over PCs for gaming, except for things like exclusives.

Edit: Since the thread seems to be in need of a new question, here's one:

Suppose you have a game that can either play in 640x480 resolution with 16 colors, or in 320x200 resolution with 256 colors. Between those modes, which video mode would you choose? (Historically, there was a time when these were the top-of-the-line video resolutions; hence why one would have had to make this choice in the past.)
Wow. what a well thought out answer. I see you really put some work into that, bullet points and everything. I actually learned something. Im really curious about your question. Could you give examples please?
HeathGCF: Q: What are your hopes for the future of the gaming industry?
misteryo: Mostly I hope that the experience of successful indy devs helps many more indy devs succeed. There are lots of folks with good ideas, there are lots of talented artists... But to be successful in the gaming world, there are also business lessons to be learned. Iron Tower has written well about their experience. So has Alexis Whatsisname who did Sunless Seas, so have others. There are some really elegant and surprising and delightful games out there because of all the money flying around gaming these days. That money won't always be there, and I'd really like to see more of the quality indipendent devs survive and thrive and keep on creating.

Answer:
Great question Heath and great reply misteryo. Unfortunately this is one of those things about life. The masses of morons think whatever the other masses of morons like is cool. Not to be too harsh this is alot kids remember and parents aren't really paying attention they just know the kid wants it so happy birthday and merry christmas.

Compaines go where the money is so your going to keep seeing overpriced dlc,loot box,DRM, forced multiplayer whatever the F*** bullcrap. Most people are on there phones like zombies barely awake let alone concious consumers. So these studios are going to keep turning out customers like 3rd world hookers. There are some good indy devs but I think that has a hard limit becuse most of those games are being bought buy more older hardcore gamers.

Also some of those indy games in my opinion suck D***. Some stuff is really good like cuphead but takes so long and is limited because its more of a niche think without a big studio behind it. Some of it though... Its cool to be creative and do new things but some of its trying to hard to be artys fartsy or something. Like I really don't care about some trees and rocks with some birds chirping and some corny narrator taliking about feelings. Id rather just play centipede.

My hope is too see more remasters,remakes, and revamps along with some good big budget games with some good dlc for the money like the The Witcher 3 and a few Indy games with some solid gameplay. How about a VR frogger were your the frog in a realistic duplicate of a big city like New York where you have to get through busey traffic.

Q: What game do you really like to play but you just suck at it? All these years trying and you still just really suck at it. May or may not kill your enjoyment of the game.
Answer:
Ive always sucked at Halo, but have had alot of fun playing it with friends.

Question: What is your favorite game series and why?
Post edited March 10, 2018 by RedWolf9000
RedWolf9000: Question: What is your favorite game series and why?
Baldur's Gate. There are many reasons, but I guess the most important ones are:

-It has great characters! Many memorable companions, they feel like old friends. I love the writing (especially in BG2) and voice acting.

-I love the world, be it the freedom of exploring the wilderness in BG1 or the picturesque locations in BG2. It feels like a real place with history and filled with all kind of people. The background art is also beautiful, I especially love walking through the cities.

-I enjoy the main story as well as the many little stories involving less important (but some equally memorable) inhabitants of the Sword Coast.

-I think the little details is what makes it a wonderful experience for me. Also it's great how the modding community has kept the games fresh for so many years with their many additions.

QUESTION: If you're old enough to remember the transition from CGA or EGA to VGA monitors, was there ever a game (or more than one) that you had only played in 4 or 16 colors and then were able to see it in its full color glory? How was that experience for you?
Post edited March 10, 2018 by krugos2
krugos2: QUESTION: If you're old enough to remember the transition from CGA or EGA to VGA monitors, was there ever a game (or more than one) that you had only played in 4 or 16 colors and then were able to see it in its full color glory? How was that experience for you?
Cheat sheet for the young:
https://imgur.com/a/kaGeg

The games I noticed the difference the most in were the adventure games. They tended to be the most reliant on graphics back then in my opinion. It didn't really make a huge difference for me though. Having said that, EGA was already well established when I started, so the dramatic changes were already long past.

Q: How good were you with labelling your floppies? How many were you hunting through before you found that Sierra or Lucas Arts boot disc?
LongitudinalThrust: Q: How good were you with labelling your floppies? How many were you hunting through before you found that Sierra or Lucas Arts boot disc?
Yes, I always labelled my floppies because at some point there was many of them and it was really hard to find right one without labels. And I never used boot discs instead preferring to manually edit autoexec.bat and config.sys. :) And then there was EMS which was required by some games to work with sound. :)

Question: Did you played Origin avia series: Strike Commander, Pacific Strike and Wings of Glory? If yes, which one is your favorite game?
Andrey82: Question: Did you played Origin avia series: Strike Commander, Pacific Strike and Wings of Glory? If yes, which one is your favorite game?
I did not. Flight sims aren't a genre I've ever enjoyed much. But rather than just take that and go on, there were to flight games I enjoyed in my younger days: Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, which had a "factory" where you could tune planes. It was trash by the time I got it in the early-mid 90s, but good to kill an afternoon when friends were over and we just wanted to BS anyway. A different game, with objectives and stuff, in which I did make decent progress was A-10 Tank Killer.

Question When, if ever, is it acceptable for a game not to be able to be paused/left running without repercussions. (Already ruling out multiplayer, by adding "assuming all players agree". Many early MP games had pause.)
Post edited March 13, 2018 by mqstout
mqstout: Question When, if ever, is it acceptable for a game not to be able to be paused/left running without repercussions. (Already ruling out multiplayer, by adding "assuming all players agree". Many early MP games had pause.)
Maybe if the game is something like an idle clicker, and the repercussions of leaving the game running are positive. Otherwise, I consider pausing to be a mandatory feature of any game that isn't strictly turn based. (In a strictly turn based game, there are by definition no repercussions to letting the game run while not paused.)

Have you ever loaded a computer program (such as a game) that was stored on a cassette tape? (Remember those? Remember that time before floppies became common place, when cassette tapes were the only writable storage medium available?)
dtgreene: Have you ever loaded a computer program (such as a game) that was stored on a cassette tape? (Remember those? Remember that time before floppies became common place, when cassette tapes were the only writable storage medium available?)
Not by myself, but at a friend's house, yes. He had an Armstrad CPC with cassette drive and the games took ages to load. We'd rewind the tape, press start and then go do something else for what felt like 20-30 minutes (might have been less though) until the game was ready.

Question: Did you ever do anything creative related to videogaming (like trying to make your own game, creating mods or custom content, drawing or writing something connected to games etc.)? If so, what?
Post edited March 13, 2018 by Leroux
dtgreene: Have you ever loaded a computer program (such as a game) that was stored on a cassette tape? (Remember those? Remember that time before floppies became common place, when cassette tapes were the only writable storage medium available?)
Leroux: Not by myself, but at a friend's house, yes. He had an Armstrad CPC with cassette drive and the games took ages to load. We'd rewind the tape, press start and then go do something else for what felt like 20-30 minutes (might have been less though) until the game was ready.

Question: Did you ever do anything creative related to videogaming (like trying to make your own game, creating mods or custom content, drawing or writing something connected to games etc.)? If so, what?
Looks like nobody did anything creative, or those who did have not noticed this question.

Bump
Leroux: Not by myself, but at a friend's house, yes. He had an Armstrad CPC with cassette drive and the games took ages to load. We'd rewind the tape, press start and then go do something else for what felt like 20-30 minutes (might have been less though) until the game was ready.

Yes, some modules in NWN, but I never uploaded them.

Do you like freedom of choice in videogames or prefer more linear/straightforward games?