It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Find out what makes these deadly critters tick.

Looking forward to Tooth and Tail? It's easy to see why: this is a fast-paced RTS starring furious furry animals who will do horrible things to each other for some meat scraps or tactical advantage. Then the questions come rushing in: what kinds of units will I be commanding? How customizable is my army going to be? Can a fox and a chameleon ever agree on matters of political rhetoric?

Andy Schatz, CEO and Creative Director of Tooth and Tail developers Pocketwatch Games, will be joining us in the comments section of this post, today at 8PM UTC, to answer all your questions.
If you have them prepared already, fire away and he will tackle them once he's here.

Have fun, everyone, and remember: no biting or scratching allowed!
Tooth and Tail for Linux on GOG,when?

Already bought and I can play on Windows but Linux is my future...

Nothing particular to ask about (i think) but it's nice you show up here!
Was this partially (at all) inspired by the Redwall novels? (Which was about anthropomorphic woodland creatures constantly at war with each-other)
Post edited September 08, 2017 by Dartpaw86
Reglisse: Tooth and Tail for Linux on GOG,when?

I was about to ask the same thing :)
Will you still going to support the Gog version months after the release with the latest patches ?
Can you talk more about the campaign. What kind of missions there are. How many different unit/buildings will we be able to field simultaniously in the campaign. Is there a random pick for units/buildings in skirmish/multiplayer or can we freely pick what we want to use every time or can be that setup as we want to. Is there a setting option for skirmish to make farms not go fallow? Like a old style deatmatch mode with unlimited ressources? How long are campaign missions in general and how many missions are there per faction?

Also how is the unit balance. Moles seem to me a bit OP at least in the beginning of the game. I saw a couple of mole rushes in online gameplay.

Same question about Linux as Reglisse above.

Edit: I preordered the game so cant wait for release on tuesday. Though missing Linux version itches.
Post edited September 08, 2017 by Matruchus
Is this game an Armello knock-off?

The developers of this game are probably more respectable than League Of Geeks though. :)
What ultimately caused you to create what is realistically just one faction with different colours and leaders? All other RTS games (save for 8-Bit Armies, don't get me started on that one) had at least two factions at release which differed either in units/technologies or some sort of bonuses, so four identical factions in Tooth & Tail comes off as the cheaper way out of "imbalances"?
Midnight_Wolf: Is this game an Armello knock-off?

The developers of this game are probably more respectable than League Of Geeks though. :)
Seems to be a very different kind of game than Armello, excluding the fact that it's anthropomorphic animals fighting. Personally I had to think of another game, on the other hand, Factor 5's cancelled game Animal Wars, which I incidentally only learned about several days before I found out about Tooth and Tail, lol. But again, different genre, just an even more similar setting as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I'm thrilled by what I've seen of Tooth and Tail so far, I have literally no idea what to ask right now, however.
high rated
Reglisse: Tooth and Tail for Linux on GOG,when?

That's not up to me!!! But hopefully soon :)
Vythonaut: Nothing particular to ask about (i think) but it's nice you show up here!
I enjoy it! GOG players are smrt SMART. And I just like talking about my work :) My wife thinks I'm boring. (not really)
Dartpaw86: Was this partially (at all) inspired by the Redwall novels? (Which was about anthropomorphic woodland creatures constantly at war with each-other)
Yes! I read the first Redwall book when it came out! (1986). I was 9 years old I think. Burned into my childhood. I also loved Disney's Robin Hood. And my 3 year old daughter's fav movie is Zootopia. So I guess I like animals :)

It's an innocent way for us to think about humans "functionally". Like how dwarves fit a particular trope, and then fulfill a certain function in fantasy literature, that way of thinking makes sense when you imagine animal societies. Snakes are going to fulfill a functional role, etc. And in fact, that's one reason we thought it was a ripe setting for an RTS! It's easy to learn what the units do because you are already familiar with the species!
Painted_Doll: Will you still going to support the Gog version months after the release with the latest patches ?
Absolutely! Since GOG and Steam (and soon, PS4) will all be playing with each other via cross-play, it's vital that we keep all versions in sync with one another! And if you know us from our previous game Monaco, you know that we do a lot of post launch content and support!
Post edited September 08, 2017 by ajschatz
Matruchus: Can you talk more about the campaign. What kind of missions there are. How many different unit/buildings will we be able to field simultaniously in the campaign. Is there a random pick for units/buildings in skirmish/multiplayer or can we freely pick what we want to use every time or can be that setup as we want to. Is there a setting option for skirmish to make farms not go fallow? Like a old style deatmatch mode with unlimited ressources? How long are campaign missions in general and how many missions are there per faction?

Also how is the unit balance. Moles seem to me a bit OP at least in the beginning of the game. I saw a couple of mole rushes in online gameplay.

Same question about Linux as Reglisse above.

Edit: I preordered the game so cant wait for release on tuesday. Though missing Linux version itches.
The campaign has a linear story with LOTS of deeper, optional side story. Each mission is of a similar length to multiplayer matches: 5-12 minutes. They all have predefined army compositions, such that each mission plays like a puzzle in and of itself. The missions each have a unique set of world generation parameters, meaning that while every time you play a mission, it will have a different layout, it will have a similar feel. One mission will always be forested with one large lake, another will have narrow passages winding through desert foothills.
There is currently no setting for preventing farms from going fallow, although that would be an easy thing to mod if you wanted to try it out! 6 missions per faction, 4 factions. In practice, the story mode is between 10 and 20 hours long, but extremely replayable.
Moles are definitely something to watch out for in the early game, especially in multiplayer! Always watch out for the mole rush ;)

Ha! I love LOG SO WATCH YER MOUTH YA RAPSCALLION! :D

And no, it's not an Armello knockoff. Screw those League of Geeks people.
Plokite_Wolf: What ultimately caused you to create what is realistically just one faction with different colours and leaders? All other RTS games (save for 8-Bit Armies, don't get me started on that one) had at least two factions at release which differed either in units/technologies or some sort of bonuses, so four identical factions in Tooth & Tail comes off as the cheaper way out of "imbalances"?
It's not at all cheap! Every single match will be different in that you can pick any six units. We didn't give specific abilities to the commanders, because we didn't want to have that single choice limit playstyle so significantly. We also wanted the world to feel like a real world, so we made the choice to prevent players from picking the same character in the same match. That choice is also one we made in Monaco.

There's a really interesting talk by the Towerfall devs about how making the character choice be aesthetic only freed players up to role play more because they weren't forced to pick their faction based on function. Google it!

F4LL0UT: Seems to be a very different kind of game than Armello, excluding the fact that it's anthropomorphic animals fighting. Personally I had to think of another game, on the other hand, Factor 5's cancelled game Animal Wars, which I incidentally only learned about several days before I found out about Tooth and Tail, lol. But again, different genre, just an even more similar setting as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I'm thrilled by what I've seen of Tooth and Tail so far, I have literally no idea what to ask right now, however.
That's all i need to hear, friend :) No questions necessary!
Post edited September 08, 2017 by ajschatz
I've been looking forward to this for several months now - excited for next week!

I understand this is designed to support keyboard and controller equally. By directly controlling a single character, it drastically reduces the number of inputs you would need over a more traditional RTS.

Have you (or the early testers) noticed whether choosing keyboard or controller affects gameplay at all? (i.e. is there a benefit to using one over the other?)

Are matches played peer to peer? If so, how much does latency affect the game?
Does Tooth and Tail support LAN multiplayer?

Btw, thanks for allowing us to play in splitscreen mode! That's always nice to have! :)
ajschatz: We also wanted the world to feel like a real world, so we made the choice to prevent players from picking the same character in the same match.
By this, I assume you mean you wanted to prevent mirror matches?

ajschatz: There's a really interesting talk by the Towerfall devs about how making the character choice be aesthetic only freed players up to role play more because they weren't forced to pick their faction based on function. Google it!
Outside of the storyline campaigns, RTS is not a roleplaying genre, really. "Functions" are what keep RTSes (particularly those with weaker storylines) going and prevents them from getting dull quickly. Towerfall is not in that genre, so as a long-time RTS player, I must strongly disagree with their idea in the realm of strategies, though I do agree with some guilty pleasure memories for sandboxes, RPGs and the like ;)

To follow up, which aspects of existing RTS games did you point at and say, "we want this amped up to 11" and "we want this to be thrown out" the most, and why?