It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is now available for pre-order. Buy Trine 4 before release to get access to special bonus level - Toby's Dream.

The Trine series returns to the magic of 2.5D with Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince! The three heroes of the best-selling adventure series are back, sent on a quest to retrieve the troubled young Prince Selius. Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight, and Zoya the Thief are joined together once again on a thrilling quest through fantastical fairytale landscapes teeming with danger.
low rated
faroot: Good Monty Python sketch, but clearly you ran out of fallacious arguments. Adamhm was informative, if only you cared to learn from his expertise.
Because I would only be repeating myself. First you have to counter point to my prior argument before I'll say something new. And what expertise? His patch didn’t work. Did you not see the screenshot?
Magmarock: Windows 10 LTSC try to get that.
Klumpen0815: Didn't you just complain about the fragmentation of Linux distros? :D
I didn't even notice this comment, better late then never. No actually I was referring to the fragmentation of dependencies and package managers. All the distros is a bit of a problem. But the dependency thing is a much bigger problem IMO.
faroot: Good Monty Python sketch, but clearly you ran out of fallacious arguments. Adamhm was informative, if only you cared to learn from his expertise.
Lifthrasil: You misunderstand the internet. Arguing on the internet is not about learning something. It's about trying to "prove" someone wrong, no matter what. Or failing that, to get upset, at least. ;-)
Or when you have already proven to someone that their argument is dead and they are still convinced that it's alive; no matter how many times bang it on the table. What have I got to be upset about? You're guys not getting Trine 4 because your OS is too shit to handle it. And you couldn't even run the prior game in full screen. Again it's your problem not mine. I was trying trying to help. But you people are beyond help. Linux is like heroin for nerds.
Post edited August 31, 2019 by Magmarock
Magmarock: Because I would only be repeating myself. First you have to counter point to my prior argument before I'll say something new.
We've been doing that since you first started posting in this thread, and before that even.

Magmarock: And what expertise? His patch didn’t work. Did you not see the screenshot?
So you clearly didn't even bother to read my post showing that it in fact works just fine, and your issue once again appears to be due to user error. To recap:

I checked on clean installs of Mint 19, 19.1 and 19.2 and it works fine on all of them. Most likely you're trying to install it into the live environment (as I encountered that exact same error to occur when I attempted it there - I also explained why it fails to install there and the step necessary to allow it to install there if you really want to for some reason).

Magmarock: You're guys not getting Trine 4 because your OS is too shit to handle it. And you couldn't even run the prior game in full screen.
It's not the fault of the OS. There are plenty of other, far more technically complex games that show that it works just fine as long as it's done right - just the same as games on Windows can work fine if they're done right, or terribly if not.
Post edited August 31, 2019 by adamhm
JoelFB: That said, if Linux/Mac was selling a lot of units, I'm sure we'd find a way. I think Trine 3 or Shadwen were our last Linux/Mac releases and they didn't sell well (talking about percentages of Windows sales).
I always wonder how they count per-OS sales since the game stores I've used all give you the game for all supported OSen in one purchase. You can't buy just a "Linux release" here, you buy the game and get them all.

I also wonder whether Frozenbyte's ever going back to something like Shadowgrounds. That game had some technical issues but I think it was a solid game nevertheless, and I really liked the concept & atmosphere.

Trine is something I never really got into, even after trying to co-op it with my sister..
Magmarock: You're guys not getting Trine 4 because your OS is too shit to handle it. And you couldn't even run the prior game in full screen.
adamhm: It's not the fault of the OS.
I think Joel said it, they don't have anyone who's really into Linux..

Game developers are basically cavemen :P The rest of the software development world has by and large embraced Linux; even if you work at a house that does Windows-only soft, there's a high chance that there are competent Linux users among the developers.
Post edited August 31, 2019 by clarry
adamhm: snip
He obviously doesn't want to admit, that he made the screenshot after booting it from a live-dvd or from inside a badly setup virtual system, I'd even go so far as to suspect that he did that on purpose to "prove his point".

JoelFB: That said, if Linux/Mac was selling a lot of units, I'm sure we'd find a way. I think Trine 3 or Shadwen were our last Linux/Mac releases and they didn't sell well (talking about percentages of Windows sales).
I've recently read a post by a dev saying, that GOG doesn't give OS specific sales numbers, so I guess you're talking about Steam.
The problems with Trine 3's sales was obvious, in addition to the fact that it was uncomplete, the Linux port was (unlike those of the first two games), very buggy. When it comes to Shadwen, GOG's version is still inferior to the one on Steam and I would really like to see the complete version with the editor here. I know that it's due to Steam Workshop, but since I already successfully transfered files from that to the DRM-free version of Hotline Miami 2 and Hammerwatch for example, it doesn't seem to be a problem and the editor itself is what I miss here, not the files made with that.

Will the editor for Shadwen arrive here at all?
Post edited August 31, 2019 by Klumpen0815
clarry: I always wonder how they count per-OS sales since the game stores I've used all give you the game for all supported OSen in one purchase. You can't buy just a "Linux release" here, you buy the game and get them all.
Unfortunately from what I've heard GOG apparently don't reveal the platform split to publishers :/

clarry: I think Joel said it, they don't have anyone who's really into Linux..
Perhaps they could contract it out to a third party, get someone like Ethan Lee or Ryan Gordon to do the port?
clarry: I always wonder how they count per-OS sales since the game stores I've used all give you the game for all supported OSen in one purchase. You can't buy just a "Linux release" here, you buy the game and get them all.
adamhm: Unfortunately from what I've heard GOG apparently don't reveal the platform split to publishers :/
How could they, technically? There is no split.. any split is a made up construct that may or may not reflect reality.
Post edited August 31, 2019 by clarry
clarry: How could they, technically? There is no split.. any split is a made up construct that may or may not reflect reality.
Steam uses the platform a game was most played on within the first 2 weeks after purchase, otherwise they use the platform it was purchased on if it was not played within 2 weeks.

GOG could do something similar however they don't track all users like Steam does so they'd have to go by downloads instead of played time. Wouldn't be perfect (as some users download installers for all platforms, some users buy & download games on other systems than the ones they use for gaming etc.) but it would be better than not reporting any sales split at all.
clarry: How could they, technically? There is no split.. any split is a made up construct that may or may not reflect reality.
adamhm: Steam uses the platform a game was most played on within the first 2 weeks after purchase, otherwise they use the platform it was purchased on if it was not played within 2 weeks.

GOG could do something similar however they don't track all users like Steam does so they'd have to go by downloads instead of played time. Wouldn't be perfect (as some users download installers for all platforms, some users buy & download games on other systems than the ones they use for gaming etc.) but it would be better than not reporting any sales split at all.
I don't know, I feel like there are too many caveats and giving such a potentially inaccurate number may be worse than not giving anything.
I'd probably go by the platform of the downloaded installer if only one installer was downloaded, otherwise just use the platform it was purchased on. It may not be entirely accurate, but it'll be a lot more accurate than what we have now.

Not having these statistics available to publishers is most likely behind the absence of some of the Mac/Linux releases here that were ported by third parties - publishers need to know how the sales are split between platforms so they can work out how much to pay the Mac/Linux developers. It's also bad for Mac & Linux in general, as GOG's sales will likely all simply be counted as Windows sales (best case they treat GOG sales as having exactly the same split as on Steam).
Aaaand preordered.
Lifthrasil: You misunderstand the internet. Arguing on the internet is not about learning something. It's about trying to "prove" someone wrong, no matter what. Or failing that, to get upset, at least. ;-)
Magmarock: Or when you have already proven to someone that their argument is dead and they are still convinced that it's alive; no matter how many times bang it on the table.
So, why do you keep banging your argument on the table after it is already dead? If you are annoyed by it yourself, you could just stop doing it.
low rated
adamhm: We've been doing that since you first started posting in this thread, and before that even.
Think you’d learned something by now hey.

adamhm: So you clearly didn't even bother to read my post showing that it in fact works just fine, and your issue once again appears to be due to user error. To recap:

I checked on clean installs of Mint 19, 19.1 and 19.2 and it works fine on all of them. Most likely you're trying to install it into the live environment (as I encountered that exact same error to occur when I attempted it there - I also explained why it fails to install there and the step necessary to allow it to install there if you really want to for some reason).
Okay lets recap. First I criticized the fragmented way in which dependencies are handled all throughout the world of Linux; which you can read about here. https://www.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_trine_4_the_nightmare_prince_e3277/post56

This was not an invitation to beta test your meta-package thing.

It was merely a speculation as to why Trine 1 & 2 required so much fiddling and also why I suspected so many games don’t work well on Linux. This is not the kind of problem that can be fixed with a homemade fan-patch because this requires a massive overhaul on how dependencies are distributed all throughout the world of Linux. I’ve not really interest in Linux until this is done. That’s what I was getting at.

Nonetheless After incessant nagging I reluctantly decided to try out the meta-package. I tested in on Linux Mint 19.2 installed on a virtual machine. It wasn’t a live environment. I did everything you said to do, (which was to just double click it). But it didn’t work and when I showed you proof; you insisted that it was my fault and that I was using a live environment. Then, you claimed it worked perfectly on your end and that this proves me wrong. First, you claiming that it works doesn’t constitute proof. I believe you when you say it worked for you, but you are still to prove that I did something wrong. The screenshot however is proof that it did not work for me. I didn’t want to install Mint, I didn’t want to test your meta-package but I did it to shut you up. I will not waste any further time on it, so don’t ask.
You’re right it’s not the fault of the OS... it’s YOURS!. By that I mean the community. Both on the fanbase and the development side. This repeated little tirade is proof of that. Linux doesn’t play nice with closed source software and includes the games industry. You have to meet the industry halfway if you want them to support you. I don’t see Linux doing this and dependency hell is one such example. Hopefully if this will be the last thing I say. Consider this victory for Linux, if that helps you sleep at night :P
Magmarock: Or when you have already proven to someone that their argument is dead and they are still convinced that it's alive; no matter how many times bang it on the table.
Lifthrasil: So, why do you keep banging your argument on the table after it is already dead? If you are annoyed by it yourself, you could just stop doing it.
Good question. dunno maybe I'm expecting something to change or maybe I just like exposing the Linux community.
Starmaker: Aaaand preordered.
Yeah I'll probably preorder this as well. I know we're not supposed to, but I really like supporting developers that bring their games to gog.
clarry: even if you work at a house that does Windows-only soft, there's a high chance that there are competent Linux users among the developers.
That is utterly baseless.
Post edited August 31, 2019 by Magmarock
Magmarock: Think you’d learned something by now hey.
I could say *exactly* the same of you.

Magmarock: Okay lets recap. First I criticized the fragmented way in which dependencies are handled all throughout the world of Linux; which you can read about here. https://www.gog.com/forum/general/preorder_trine_4_the_nightmare_prince_e3277/post56
Yes, I read that and responded already - see my earlier replies.

Magmarock: It was merely a speculation as to why Trine 1 & 2 required so much fiddling and also why I suspected so many games don’t work well on Linux. This is not the kind of problem that can be fixed with a homemade fan-patch because this requires a massive overhaul on how dependencies are distributed all throughout the world of Linux. I’ve not really interest in Linux until this is done. That’s what I was getting at.
I can tell you why Trine requires so much fiddling: it's because they (or rather, GOG) included certain core system libraries with the game. Libraries such as libstdc++, libX*, graphics driver libraries etc. Do the equivalent of this on Windows and you'll end up with a broken game there too.

Ethan Lee wrote a good post about packaging for Linux which I linked to earlier.

Trine 2 works, but not full screen (and that's a bug with the port itself).

Magmarock: Nonetheless After incessant nagging I reluctantly decided to try out the meta-package. I tested in on Linux Mint 19.2 installed on a virtual machine. It wasn’t a live environment. I did everything you said to do, (which was to just double click it). But it didn’t work and when I showed you proof; you insisted that it was my fault and that I was using a live environment.
I call bullshit here. The exact steps I followed were:

- Boot into the live environment and install Mint 19.x as usual (I tested 19, 19.1 and 19.2), then restart
- On the fresh Mint install, double-click the package

This worked just fine in my VirtualBox VMs, just as it has on all of my real PCs, just as it has on other user's PCs. The only way I was able to replicate the issue you had was when I booted into the live environment and tried to install it there.

That you alone seem to be having these issues with it is very suspect and I wonder what exactly you're doing differently to literally everyone else that's causing it to fail - how are you installing and testing Mint? Are you not using the official disc images to install it? etc.

EDIT: Remembering some correspondence I had with a developer I was assisting some time ago, I remember they had similar issues with running Ubuntu in a VM. It turned out they were using a pre-made Ubuntu VM from osboxes.org which was not set up like a proper install from the Ubuntu install media, and this was causing a variety of issues with certain things not being installed/not being set up etc.

Is this what you're using? Because if so, it's not going to work unless you follow the steps I outlined above for installing in the live environment (I just downloaded their Mint 19.2 Cinnamon image and can confirm that it has the same issue), and even then there are likely to be other issues with it as well. I'm not sure how osboxes set it up exactly but it's not representative of a properly installed version of Mint (edit 2: looks like this particular instance may just be a case of it needing to be updated first; see below posts).
adamhm: Not having these statistics available to publishers is most likely behind the absence of some of the Mac/Linux releases here that were ported by third parties - publishers need to know how the sales are split between platforms so they can work out how much to pay the Mac/Linux developers.
If you need accurate platform statistics for accounting purposes, just take the simple solution: sell them separately.
problem solved.
Requiring the store to come up with some convoluted and messy solution to give you these numbers by tracking their user's behaviour isn't the way to go.
immi101: If you need accurate platform statistics for accounting purposes, just take the simple solution: sell them separately.
problem solved.
Requiring the store to come up with some convoluted and messy solution to give you these numbers by tracking their user's behaviour isn't the way to go.
That would mean either having multiple entries for each game and all its DLC in order to have one for each platform which would make the site even more of a mess than it already is, or having to select the platform at time of purchase which would lead to increased support costs from people buying for the wrong platform (which would probably still happen even with the first option).

Also it would put GOG at a disadvantage to sell games for each platform separately while Steam etc. provide versions for all platforms with one purchase. And it would make it much more difficult for people to switch platforms since they'd have to re-buy their existing games if they want to get the version for the other platform.

A better option would be to give users the ability to select their preferred platform in their account settings.