It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is now available for pre-order.

Hidden in the shadows, an evil has waited patiently. Until now. Who will face the darkness if not you? A heroic adventure featuring 50+ hours of gameplay, 350 speaking parts, a Legacy Mode for returning fans, and over 100 pieces of incredible music!

The Director’s Cut brings more character customization options, new items, new enemies, revised UI, and a free expansion dungeon.

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - Deluxe Edition includes plenty of digital goodies, including a free copy of The Bard's Tale Trilogy

Notice: All current owners of The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep will receive the Director's Cut for free upon release.
wolfsite: Did a quick look through some of the reviews and many of the negatives come from performance and design issues so those may have been patched up since the reviews were done. Other issues seem to be with some puzzles and not being friendly to new players.

Here is a video review by ACG (who I enjoy as a reviewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtdB78g6tI
Ixamyakxim: Thanks! Will check that one out (obtuse puzzles kill a game for me - I wanted to love Legend of Grimrock 2 so bad, but I'm pretty terrible at puzzles and just burned out despite being a huge fan of the concept. It wasn't fun to have Alt-Tab be a required keystroke in a game for me).
Ya I had the same problem with Grimrock as well.
Ixamyakxim: Thanks! Will check that one out (obtuse puzzles kill a game for me - I wanted to love Legend of Grimrock 2 so bad, but I'm pretty terrible at puzzles and just burned out despite being a huge fan of the concept. It wasn't fun to have Alt-Tab be a required keystroke in a game for me).
Evidently the Director's Cut will let you skip any required progression puzzle with one of the new exploration songs. But for the record I found the puzzles in Grimrock 2 to be much more annoying than they are in Bard's Tale IV.
Intriguing trailer voice-over. I detect Russian, Scottish, Dwarfish; could be wrong though.
Nice with the release of the DC i will finally start playing it - i didnt manage b4 despite owning the game since the release as backer T_T
Ixamyakxim: How was this game? It looks absolutely gorgeous and since it seems like I'll never get a shot at playing Might and Magic X this looks like a pretty good placeholder.

Deep? Interesting? Funny tongue in cheek humor at times too right?
It was awesome - if you ignore awful humor - but then again, no new games has good humor.

It is riddled with bunch of puzzles, like lots of them.
Many users experienced bugs with disappearing puzzles and came knocking on the wall.

Most of problems with BT4 was summarized:
1) Bugs and performance
2) tons of puzzles
3) not really natural successor to Bard's Tale trilogy

I posted positive review shortly after launch, I honestly wasn't bothered by bad performance and I managed to save with ever opportunity.

Steam users were given version corresponding their tier. I got Standard edition.
Post edited July 11, 2019 by BeatriceElysia
GOG.com: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is now available for pre-order.
Notice: All current owners of The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep will receive the Director's Cut for free upon release.
Will owners of "The Bard's Tale Trilogy" get a gift code for that game if we buy the Deluxe Edition?

I am interrested in the Deluxe Edition Extras, but do not need the Remaster anymore. But I would like to gift it to someone if possible. Thanks a lot in advance!
wolfsite: Did a quick look through some of the reviews and many of the negatives come from performance and design issues so those may have been patched up since the reviews were done. Other issues seem to be with some puzzles and not being friendly to new players.

Here is a video review by ACG (who I enjoy as a reviewer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtdB78g6tI
A lot of negativity came almost entirely because of the performance issues. They did manage to fix it pretty well in the end, but the damage was more or less done by then. Also, some fans of the original BT games were disappointed by the number of puzzles the game has, as BT4 is considerably more puzzle heavy than the originals.
Why are you unable to buy the game, ie the current version, not the directors cut?

you can still get it on steam
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/2562232

"For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts."

"All backers should have all in-game items. Originally, you had to enter a code in-game to access them, but with the Director's Cut, it should be default activated when you start a new game."
Post edited July 11, 2019 by ValamirCleaver
GOG has removed the version "The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep" without prior notice while it's still on sale on Steam, I think it's unfair since they are considered two different versions of the game.
Alexim: GOG has removed the version "The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep" without prior notice while it's still on sale on Steam, I think it's unfair since they are considered two different versions of the game.
yeah seems a bit b*llocks actually.

just bought it on steam, f*ck it
It would be fair to at least offer the old version attached with the Director's Cut, as they do for example with Baldur's Gate.
Linux version is coming at last, all hail the bard!
eric5h5: Are the Mac/Linux versions going to be here? They said "We’re targeting late summer for a Steam release of the Director’s Cut on Windows, Mac, and Linux."
Yes, they said so in the Kickstarter update.
Post edited July 12, 2019 by shmerl
Legend of Grimrock is great, especially the second game, but I think I've never played another game which required such intense focus. You have to double check every wall or environmental detail, since there are so many hidden switches and other secrets. The map system and the ability to add markers and personal notes to the map was very useful.
Preordering such a game?

Lol