It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Civil warfare blues.

Rogue Trooper Redux, the visually remastered cult classic shooter, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free, on GOG.com with a 20% pre-order discount until October 17.

One of the most celebrated cover-based shooters of the past decade just got a new coat of blue paint over its bulging muscles and is ready to enter the fray once more. In this futuristic story, you play as a genetically engineered soldier destined to tip the scales in the civil war that's tearing apart the heavily polluted Nu Earth.

Pre-order now and get upgraded to the Collector’s Edition for free. The CE includes:

- The original 21 track Rogue trooper soundtrack!
- An exclusive Rogue trooper comic, inspired by the game
- 2 sets of HD desktop wallpapers

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RD4oBAqjkdo?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited September 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
Okay, but...

If it's a spit-and-polish job with no new creative content, aka more story missions, scenarios, etc., then tripling the price for the same game in a prettier wrapper seems high. Especially if you already own the original.

But that's okay. We're not forced to buy any of these titles. Clearly, for several people this isn't a good value proposition if the Redux version doesn't really bring anything new to the table compared with the original release. Making it pretty because today's hardware allows for that, and making MP work again because the old servers are no longer available... I just don't see it at that price, while getting the same story and missions. Sorry.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there IS added content that differentiates the actual gameplay from the original. Dunno yet. If you own the original then it *seems* like an iffy proposition.
HereForTheBeer: If it's a spit-and-polish job with no new creative content, aka more story missions, scenarios, etc., then tripling the price for the same game in a prettier wrapper seems high.
But you agree, that even if it's only "spit and polish", that wasn't automated by clicking a button in a fancy new engine?
Several people actually had to invest their working time into "spitting and polishing" the old version up.
And of course they want to make money with this new version. They're a business, after all.
----------
EDIT:
Spit and polish in more words: (from the game's page)

ROGUE, REMASTERED A classic returns with HD graphics, remodelled assets, dynamic lighting, enhanced geometry, new special effects and more. New features also include modern controls, extra difficulty settings and a revamped cover system.
----------
HereForTheBeer: Especially if you already own the original.
I take it, you own it!?
And you played it already?
Was it fun?
Did you play it recently? Or was it some years ago?
Do you plan to play it again in the future? (very important question, that - because, if not: why would you want to own the new version at all?)
Can you live with the outdated graphics?

If so - there's no need to buy the new version (at this time /price).

But there may be some new (younger) players, who'd rather play a polished version (with online-coop).
And for those, the game costs now the same, as it did cost you when you bought it in 2006. (if you bought it back then, that is)

HereForTheBeer: [...] making MP work again because the old servers are no longer available... I just don't see it at that price, while getting the same story and missions. Sorry.
And yet - we always see people complain about the lack of MP in the old games.
I'm absolutely not into (online) MP, but a lot of others obviously are...and this version offers it to them.
And if they are players, new to the game? The story and missions will be new to them!

That's what riles me up, honestly - that some people (not addressing you personally here) aren't able to see beyond the tip of their own nose and assume that, just because THEY know and own an old game already - only THEIR view on that game (and its remake) counts.

HereForTheBeer: If you own the original then it *seems* like an iffy proposition.
Don't see why.
To quote you: "But that's okay. We're not forced to buy any of these titles."

Which goes double, IF you already own the original.

There isn't anything more to say, really.
Post edited September 13, 2017 by BreOl72
HereForTheBeer: If it's a spit-and-polish job with no new creative content, aka more story missions, scenarios, etc., then tripling the price for the same game in a prettier wrapper seems high.
BreOl72: But you agree, that even if it's only "spit and polish", that wasn't automated by clicking a button in a fancy new engine?
Several people actually had to invest their working time into "spitting and polishing" the old version up.
And of course they want to make money with this new version. They're a business, after all.
Sure. I just don't think those things are 3x the current price. A whole lot of time and effort - and expense - goes into the concept and story of the game, as well as the visual direction and such. That's already done. It's like taking your hypothetical 2006 Civic, not changing the underlying technical stuff, slapping the current ugly-as-sin body on it, and charging the full price. (Yes, I know that the game is technically changing the underlying technical stuff.) Point is, they also aren't creating this title from scratch, and unless there is significant added content then the analogy isn't too far off the mark: the car and the game would "drive" quite similar to the older models.
HereForTheBeer: Especially if you already own the original.
BreOl72: I take it, you own it!?
And you played it already?
Was it fun?
Did you play it recently? Or was it some years ago?
Do you plan to play it again in the future? (very important question, that - because, if not: why would you want to own the new version at all?)
Can you live with the outdated graphics?

If so - there's no need to buy the new version (at this time /price).

But there may be some new (younger) players, who'd rather play a polished version (with online-coop).
And for those, the game costs now the same, as it did cost you when you bought it in 2006. (if you bought it back then, that is)
Funny thing, that. XD. I do own it. Haven't played yet. So I'm going off the description that the store gives us, which is all anyone can do - at this point - whether or not he or she has played the original.

As for your other questions, I can live with outdated graphics. Have enjoyed Red Faction so far, which is also outdated graphically. Deus Ex worked for me, too. The other questions don't yet apply.

And yes, hopefully it finds a market with players new to the title. Might be right up their alley at ~$30.
HereForTheBeer: [...] making MP work again because the old servers are no longer available... I just don't see it at that price, while getting the same story and missions. Sorry.
BreOl72: And yet - we always see people complain about the lack of MP in the old games.
I'm absolutely not into (online) MP, but a lot of others obviously are...and this version offers it to them.
And if they are players, new to the game? The story and missions will be new to them!

That's what riles me up, honestly - that some people (not addressing you personally here) aren't able to see beyond the tip of their own nose and assume that, just because THEY know and own an old game already - only THEIR view on that game (and its remake) counts.
Sure, and that's why I mentioned twice the bit about owners of the original title. I would go back to the old truism that value is mostly dependent on each customer, and thus the discussion for any of these remakes comes down to "value for who?" So far we see a bunch of people for whom pretty graphics doesn't equate to ~$30 for a story they've already played. People who don't own the original are coming from a different baseline, so their value judgment will be different.

I think this is always going to be a hurdle for 'redux' titles. They try to pay homage to the original but should be offering additional content with that significant price bump (in today's market), but if the new content screws up the things that made the original worthy of a remake in the first place...
I tried the game last year-ish. I didn't like it to be honest.
I liked the original one, played it couple of times even managed to play multiplayer until they shut it down. I found it far too linear but I did not mind because I really liked the original comics. If I remember correctly I may have thought it was a bit too short but it has been a while. (currently it shows I played 12 minutes because I reinstalled it so I cannot tell you).

As for the price I agree with some people here that since some of the work is done already maybe the price could be less, I am in no hurry to buy it.

I would have prefered a whole new game rather than a redux version on a modern game engine so that I can have new maps and mods etc!
GOG.com: Civil warfare blues.

Rogue Trooper Redux, the visually remastered cult classic shooter, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free, on GOG.com with a 20% pre-order discount until October 17.

One of the most celebrated cover-based shooters of the past decade just got a new coat of blue paint over its bulging muscles and is ready to enter the fray once more. In this futuristic story, you play as a genetically engineered soldier destined to tip the scales in the civil war that's tearing apart the heavily polluted Nu Earth.

Pre-order now and get upgraded to the Collector’s Edition for free. The CE includes:

- The original 21 track Rogue trooper soundtrack!
- An exclusive Rogue trooper comic, inspired by the game
- 2 sets of HD desktop wallpapers

Watch the trailer.
I think GOG need to have a word with Rebellion as their pricing, for the UK at least, seems to be off. I'm guessing GOG are doing their usual conversion from a US price, which they've then discounted, but I've just had an email from Rebellion stating that the UK RRP is £19.99 (GOG have got it listed at £19.89 but that's with 20% preorder discount, they're currently listing it as £24.79 RRP), with US at $24.99 and EU At €24.99.

Email is viewable at horrendously long link below:

Long link hidden!
YenRug: I think GOG need to have a word with Rebellion as their pricing, for the UK at least, seems to be off. I'm guessing GOG are doing their usual conversion from a US price, which they've then discounted, but I've just had an email from Rebellion stating that the UK RRP is £19.99 (GOG have got it listed at £19.89 but that's with 20% preorder discount, they're currently listing it as £24.79 RRP), with US at $24.99 and EU At €24.99.

Long link hidden!
Well, compare it to the game's prices on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/529490/Rogue_Trooper_Redux/
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/4508/Rogue_Trooper_Redux_Collectors_Edition/

Rogue Trooper Redux £19.99
Rogue Trooper Redux Collector's Edition Upgrade £4.79

Pre-order the game and you get both for 20% off, at £19.82. Only 7p different to GOG's price.

It may be that once the game is out the GOG version will separate the base game and the Collector's Edition Upgrade, too.
YenRug: I think GOG need to have a word with Rebellion as their pricing, for the UK at least, seems to be off. I'm guessing GOG are doing their usual conversion from a US price, which they've then discounted, but I've just had an email from Rebellion stating that the UK RRP is £19.99 (GOG have got it listed at £19.89 but that's with 20% preorder discount, they're currently listing it as £24.79 RRP), with US at $24.99 and EU At €24.99.

Long link hidden!
korell: Well, compare it to the game's prices on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/529490/Rogue_Trooper_Redux/
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/4508/Rogue_Trooper_Redux_Collectors_Edition/

Rogue Trooper Redux £19.99
Rogue Trooper Redux Collector's Edition Upgrade £4.79

Pre-order the game and you get both for 20% off, at £19.82. Only 7p different to GOG's price.

It may be that once the game is out the GOG version will separate the base game and the Collector's Edition Upgrade, too.
Odd, couldn't find a separate listing for just the game on Steam, last night, it was only offering the discounted CE preorder. Mayhap they've updated the listing since I looked, in light of the pricing info from Rebellion.

EDIT: Also, this still doesn't account for the fact that GOG say the CE upgrade is for free on preorders, so it still means that they're listing the base game at an RRP which is higher than what the publisher says it is.
Post edited September 14, 2017 by YenRug
Excellent game and a hidden gem.

A sequel would have been much better instead of redux due to that sequel bait ending.
YenRug: Odd, couldn't find a separate listing for just the game on Steam, last night, it was only offering the discounted CE preorder. Mayhap they've updated the listing since I looked, in light of the pricing info from Rebellion.

EDIT: Also, this still doesn't account for the fact that GOG say the CE upgrade is for free on preorders, so it still means that they're listing the base game at an RRP which is higher than what the publisher says it is.
Well, it is aligned with Steam anyway, as you can't buy just the base game on Steam at the moment either. If you try then it just offers you the game + collectors edition upgrade (it's only when you view the bundle contents that you can see the base game price). So chances are that once the game launches the Steam page will then offer the base game and the collectors edition upgrade separately (and with a bundled version without the 20% discount), so what Steam has at present is identical to what GOG has, just with 7p difference and the fact that the GOG version is DRM free.

EDIT: In fact, the email link you provided has no mention of 20% off for launch, and reading what it says on the Steam page it just says to pre-order now and receive the bonus content (which is what makes up the collectors edition extras) for free, so it's probably that the 20% off is just to make the collectors edition stuff free. i.e. RRP of £19.99 and you get the game plus the collectors edition for £19.89 on GOG and £19.82 on Steam. GOG's wording is a little different and less clear, but it's probably meant to be the same deal.
Post edited September 15, 2017 by korell